PDA

View Full Version : My Router Is Stopping My Internet Connection

abu_has_the_power
04-06-2004, 01:12 AM
my router is messing up my internet. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: every hour or so, the internet disconnects, along with all my bt dls and stuff. then i unplug the power cord to the rounter, and plug it back in, and it works great again. it's really annoying. how can i fix this?

and is it supposed to run "warm"? it's hotter than my hand for sure

and 1 more thing, does having 8 ports forwarded on that router affect any of this? i have quite a few ports opened on there

thanks

tesco
04-06-2004, 01:18 AM
it could be pretty much anything causing the problem....

im not sure about the heat though, mine is also very hot, i find that sometimes i cant connect to the config page (says busy, thats all, just busy) so I have to unplug it for about 10 minutes, to cool down i think, then wonce its cool it will go into config. im not sure why its overheating but i find that if i tilt it on its side teh heat can get out better becasue the vents are on the sides, instead of the top (wierd design). if i have it on the side i never hae any problems with it so maybe you could try the same?

or try updating the firmware on it. whats the comany and model?

Dray_04
04-06-2004, 01:42 AM
im just replying on this topic because the title made me laugh :P

abu_has_the_power
04-06-2004, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@5 April 2004 - 20:18

im not sure about the heat though, mine is also very hot, i find that sometimes i cant connect to the config page (says busy, thats all, just busy) so I have to unplug it for about 10 minutes, to cool down i think, then wonce its cool it will go into config. im not sure why its overheating but i find that if i tilt it on its side teh heat can get out better becasue the vents are on the sides, instead of the top (wierd design). if i have it on the side i never hae any problems with it so maybe you could try the same?

it's a us robotics. forgot the model, but it's the cheapest broaband 4 port router.

tesco
04-06-2004, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by abu_has_the_power@5 April 2004 - 20:57
it's the cheapest broaband 4 port router.
could be the problem... :lol:

3RA1N1AC
04-06-2004, 02:19 AM
hmm... my old router had a problem similar to that. my newer one doesn't do that at all. the connection would start out strong, then it would gradually get worse and worse till i had to reboot the router.

you might wanna check to see if the manufacturer offers a firmware update for the router, and ask your ISP to test your line and make sure there's nothing wrong with it. if all else fails... you might need to just toss the router and get a different model.

abu_has_the_power
04-06-2004, 02:54 AM
it says

This product does not require drivers or firmware.

here's the link

http://www.usr.com/products/networking/rou...asp?sku=USR8003 (http://www.usr.com/products/networking/router-product.asp?sku=USR8003)

shouldn't be a bad router. i just got it a few months ago.

peat moss
04-06-2004, 04:21 AM
Originally posted by abu_has_the_power+5 April 2004 - 17:57--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (abu_has_the_power @ 5 April 2004 - 17:57)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ROSSCO_2004@5 April 2004 - 20:18

it&#39;s a us robotics. forgot the model, but it&#39;s the cheapest broaband 4 port router. [/b][/quote]
Abu your honest to a fault got to luv it :lol:

abu_has_the_power
04-06-2004, 04:26 AM
Originally posted by peat moss+5 April 2004 - 23:21--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (peat moss @ 5 April 2004 - 23:21)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by abu_has_the_power@5 April 2004 - 17:57
<!--QuoteBegin-ROSSCO_2004@5 April 2004 - 20:18

it&#39;s a us robotics. forgot the model, but it&#39;s the cheapest broaband 4 port router.
Abu your honest to a fault got to luv it :lol: [/b][/quote]
huh? :huh:

anyways, it just happened again, and that&#39;s after i tipped it over to stand on it&#39;s side. i was doing 300kb/s on bt too&#33;&#33; :angry:

abu_has_the_power
04-06-2004, 05:53 AM
Originally posted by 3RA1N1AC@5 April 2004 - 21:19
hmm... my old router had a problem similar to that. my newer one doesn&#39;t do that at all. the connection would start out strong, then it would gradually get worse and worse till i had to reboot the router.

you might wanna check to see if the manufacturer offers a firmware update for the router, and ask your ISP to test your line and make sure there&#39;s nothing wrong with it. if all else fails... you might need to just toss the router and get a different model.
does ur old model get worse and worse? what model was it? and wat&#39;s ur new one?

can anyone help me with this? it&#39;s really pissing me off.

btw, i got the for free after rebate on black friday last year. it&#39;s not a bad router, just got a good deal on it. don&#39;t c y it fukin my connection so much

justin_9733
04-06-2004, 06:28 AM
I had the same problem with a linksys router and holding the reset button in with a pen for 60 seconds fixed it.

3RA1N1AC
04-06-2004, 07:22 AM
my old router (two-port) and my new one (four-port) are both Siemens Speedstream models. the old one would connect and work just fine for a few hours, then eventually crap out with lots of lag and packet loss so online games became unplayable and DL speeds got incredibly slow... until i turned the router off and turned it back on again. i only gave Siemens another chance because the four-port model was so cheap (about &#036;30-&#036;40 USD after a rebate), and the four-port model has worked perfectly for more than a year and it never needs to be rebooted.

packet loss and disconnects are pretty common problems that can result from a whole variety of things: a bug in the router firmware, a design flaw in the router hardware, the router overheating, specific router models not getting along well with certain modems or ethernet cards, something about the way your ISP treats streaming traffic (p2p and games; as opposed to burst traffic like DL-ing email and webpages), or even games/programs being configured to use more upload bandwidth than the router can handle. like Rossco said, there are quite a few possible explanations for why a router-controlled internet connection might get screwed up.

before you start looking into all these other possibilities... this is kind of an easy mistake that people make, so it&#39;s worth asking about: in your router&#39;s config page, do you have it set to keep a permanent lease on the internet connection? if not, it may be set to automatically disconnect after a certain time period.

firefox
04-06-2004, 05:57 PM
it is probably a heat problem, put a fan by it to help cool it off. I modified mine and added some fans in it. Been up for a year without a reboot on the router.

Peerzy
04-06-2004, 08:11 PM
I have the exact same problem with my ebyer make router, got it band new about 3 weeks ago, suddenly 2 weeks ago it started doing the same as what abu&#39;s is doing bare annoying.

tesco
04-06-2004, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by 3RA1N1AC@6 April 2004 - 02:22
before you start looking into all these other possibilities... this is kind of an easy mistake that people make, so it&#39;s worth asking about: in your router&#39;s config page, do you have it set to keep a permanent lease on the internet connection? if not, it may be set to automatically disconnect after a certain time period.
oh yeah completely forgot about that, when i got my router it would stay connected for about half an hour then just stop working and after selecting that it worked perfectly, although that doesnt really explain why yours worked for a few months and now suddenly stopped working...

abu_has_the_power
04-06-2004, 09:29 PM
i got this from their tech support guy

procedd to the Miscellaneous section. Click the Disable checkbox next to the
"Allow Ping from WAN side" feature. Click the Save button. Click the Reboot button. Log out of the router. Ensure the router is well
ventilated. Test the router. If the problem persists, call our support line for a warranty replacement.
(lol, they can&#39;t spell proceed. lol)

and i&#39;m trying that. let&#39;s see if it works

Peerzy
04-06-2004, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by abu_has_the_power@6 April 2004 - 21:29
i got this from their tech support guy

procedd to the Miscellaneous section. Click the Disable checkbox next to the
"Allow Ping from WAN side" feature. Click the Save button. Click the Reboot button. Log out of the router. Ensure the router is well
ventilated. Test the router. If the problem persists, call our support line for a warranty replacement.
(lol, they can&#39;t spell proceed. lol)

and i&#39;m trying that. let&#39;s see if it works
Tell me if it dies and forward da email because it will proberly be the same for my one please :rolleyes:

abu_has_the_power
04-06-2004, 11:41 PM
it&#39;s weird. when i have bt running, it still disconnects. after a while, it fucks up. as soon as i cancel bt, it&#39;s ok again. wtf?

tesco
04-07-2004, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by abu_has_the_power@6 April 2004 - 18:41
it&#39;s weird. when i have bt running, it still disconnects. after a while, it fucks up. as soon as i cancel bt, it&#39;s ok again. wtf?
Are you sure you have got all of the ports opened that you need to have opened?

abu_has_the_power
04-07-2004, 01:03 AM
i just noticed they changed my title. lol. that was funnier. lol

anyways, now it seems to be working again, but i&#39;ll see what happens. i messed around a little, and it seems to work ok now