PDA

View Full Version : Pay Tv Card

shoutman
04-07-2004, 03:09 AM
Hey,
im looking for a TV card that is able to have Pay Tv on it. I have a Winfast PVR card but that only does free to air tv, i live in australia and we get AUSTAR which is used by a satellite so i would need a card to work for that.

Mr. Elmo
04-07-2004, 05:17 AM
your not goin to find one unless u hack it

shoutman
04-07-2004, 07:19 AM
nah i have pay tv, im not trying to get illegaly i just want the pay tv on my computer

Mad Cat
04-07-2004, 08:58 AM
You should be able to plug the digibox or whatever into the back of your TV card and pick up whatever is broadcast, shouldn't you?

gungrave
04-07-2004, 11:20 AM
u could try calling up ur satilite provider and asking them about it? :unsure:

B)

shoutman
04-07-2004, 12:08 PM
i cant with the card i got now so i need a card to just plug it into

tesco
04-07-2004, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by shoutman@7 April 2004 - 07:08
i cant with the card i got now so i need a card to just plug it into

does your current card have an rca plug input like this:
http://www.takefiveaudio.com/wbt0208.gif

if so your digibox on your tv should have an output with that is also rca. you plug a wire like the one below into the output on your digibox and input on your tvcard.

here is the wire:
http://www.buyextras.net/images/products/cables/audio-video/rca-male-male.jpg

and for sound you plug in a wire like the one below. the red and white ends plug into the sound output on your digibox, and the other end plugs into your line-in on your soundcard.

here is a pic of the sound wire:
http://iron.ssc.usm.edu:1970/~smiller/AccessGrid/images/audio.gif

then you turn on the digibox when you want to watch and you use it to change channels.

ok, good luck! and if your card doesnt have rca input you can do the same with Svideo. and if by any chance your card has coaxial input (tv cable wires) just plug a coaxial cable from the digibox to your tvcard and you wont need a seperate sound wire.

3RA1N1AC
04-07-2004, 01:43 PM
there are PCI cards designed to tune satellite broadcasts, and they include a slot to insert your satellite access card. just poking around on google, i've found products that seem to be specifically for europe. i dunno if there are any tuners that'll work with your satellite company (or even if they'll work in australia at all) 'cause companies use different types of signals and scrambling methods.

examples:
http://www.y.net.ye/falak/satcard.htm
http://www.y.net.ye/falak/Visiondtv.htm

no idea whether this would work with your service. you'd prolly have to dig around a bit, to find out if there is such a device that's compatible with Austar.

your sole option may be to simply connect your satellite receiver to your PC via an analogue capture card, which would give you less than stellar display quality. maybe not poor, but not as good as having a satellite tuner inside the PC.

shoutman
04-08-2004, 02:00 AM
@3RA1N1AC
I looked at them and they look good, but im not sure if they will work here, so i think i might have to ring up and find out. But thanks for your help

@ROSSCO_2004

All my TV card has is an antenna port, so i think i might need a new card. Bu thnx

tesco
04-08-2004, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by shoutman@7 April 2004 - 21:00
@3RA1N1AC
I looked at them and they look good, but im not sure if they will work here, so i think i might have to ring up and find out. But thanks for your help

@ROSSCO_2004

All my TV card has is an antenna port, so i think i might need a new card. Bu thnx
oh alright, well the digibox thingy should have cable output (coaxial, or antenna) and you just plug that directly into your tv card...and use teh digibox to change channels.

shoutman
04-11-2004, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004+8 April 2004 - 02:11--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ROSSCO_2004 @ 8 April 2004 - 02:11)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-shoutman@7 April 2004 - 21:00
@3RA1N1AC

@ROSSCO_2004

oh alright, well the digibox thingy should have cable output (coaxial, or antenna) and you just plug that directly into your tv card...and use teh digibox to change channels. [/b][/quote]
ok i think i will do that, but i have a problem, im not sure if my tv card is working properly, becuase i had to reboot ( use start-up cds) my system and i havent used the card since because I have lost the software for it. Its Winfast XP Deluxe edition but i cant test it because i have nothing to use it with, so is it posibly to use another program to use my card or does anyone know how i could get a copy of the Winfast software?

tesco
04-11-2004, 03:25 AM
Originally posted by shoutman+10 April 2004 - 21:10--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (shoutman @ 10 April 2004 - 21:10)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@8 April 2004 - 02:11
<!--QuoteBegin-shoutman@7 April 2004 - 21:00
@3RA1N1AC

@ROSSCO_2004

oh alright, well the digibox thingy should have cable output (coaxial, or antenna) and you just plug that directly into your tv card...and use teh digibox to change channels.
ok i think i will do that, but i have a problem, im not sure if my tv card is working properly, becuase i had to reboot ( use start-up cds) my system and i havent used the card since because I have lost the software for it. Its Winfast XP Deluxe edition but i cant test it because i have nothing to use it with, so is it posibly to use another program to use my card or does anyone know how i could get a copy of the Winfast software? [/b][/quote]
first off, dont get reboot and formatting the hard drive, or reinstalling your opperating confused. rebooting just means to either shutdown or to restart the computer...

anyways, any software should work with your tv card, as long as you have the drivers for it. if you do not have the drivers you can download the latest ones from the manufacturers website. then for the software im not sure what programs are good other than winfast. but you can probably find winfast on kazaa lite or some other file sharing program.

shoutman
04-11-2004, 04:11 AM
will any software work? coz my card is Leadtek, so if i use another will it still work, also do u know of any other PVR software?

tesco
04-11-2004, 04:58 AM
Originally posted by shoutman@10 April 2004 - 23:11
will any software work? coz my card is Leadtek, so if i use another will it still work, also do u know of any other PVR software?
well first start by trying to find the winfast software on a p2p network.

yes most other programs will work with ur card, but you gotta get them drivers first...

and no i dont know of any other software except for winfast sorry.

shoutman
04-11-2004, 06:36 AM
well doesnt seem to be on kazaa or irc, any others??

3RA1N1AC
04-11-2004, 08:02 AM
Virtualdub has a built-in capture/tuner program. just click File -> "Capture AVI" to switch to viewing mode, and select your source under the Video tab. that program is pretty much no-frills, but you can watch video & tv sources with it, and it&#39;s good for capturing high bitrate AVIs (like HuffyUV, not DivX).

for something a bit more fancy, Intervideo&#39;s WinDVR is really good for viewing stuff and capturing straight to MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 (VCD & SVCD formats).

PowerLink&#39;s PowerVCR II also seems good. it&#39;s similar to WinDVR. but i couldn&#39;t use it because it didn&#39;t handle the audio correctly with my ATI TV Wonder card. prolly doesn&#39;t have that problem with other brands of tuner cards.

shoutman
04-11-2004, 08:55 AM
ive actually got the Winfast Card Software now but for some reason it says cannot find capture device. I have no idea whats wrong?

tesco
04-11-2004, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by shoutman@11 April 2004 - 03:55
ive actually got the Winfast Card Software now but for some reason it says cannot find capture device. I have no idea whats wrong?
wtf, i told u twice, you gotta install the driver for the card FIRST before the software.

shoutman
04-12-2004, 12:24 AM
i have, i downloaded the latest from the leadtek site, but thats all i have to do right? I just extracted them to a folder and it should work. But if i have done it wrong do i need to uninstall the software.

shoutman
04-12-2004, 01:05 AM
ok forget what i said before i have installed the drivers. But for some reason I cant get TV, I can only get S-Video and CVBS???

tesco
04-12-2004, 03:56 AM
Originally posted by shoutman@11 April 2004 - 20:05
ok forget what i said before i have installed the drivers. But for some reason I cant get TV, I can only get S-Video and CVBS???
whats ur card again? is it a capture card or a tv tuner? i think the tv tuner program is a different program from the video capture program, could be wrong though...

anyway, remember that eh digibox thingy has to be turned on and set to a channel for testing...

shoutman
04-12-2004, 04:19 AM
its a Winfast 2000 XP Deluxe card, but the problem is that i cant get to the chanel selction to even test it out.