PDA

View Full Version : Tips

Marius24
04-07-2004, 04:52 PM
My dad is taking me to meet someone so i can create i website for him, so has anyone got any tips? I know dress smart take a notepad + pen. ummm, i think i know what questions i will be asking etc. So any help? :)

DWk
04-07-2004, 04:54 PM
A good site designer KNOWS what people want by just knowing what they like. Ask them what they like, what is their goal (if it's a company), etc.

bujub22
04-07-2004, 05:00 PM
http://www.feebleminds-gifs.com/3d-maker.html

http://www.freewebspace.net/

Mad Cat
04-07-2004, 05:02 PM
Try to find out if he's a perv. If he seems a little horny, slip him a piece of paper with www.younginterns.com written on it.

Marius24
04-07-2004, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Mad Cat@7 April 2004 - 17:02
Try to find out if he's a perv. If he seems a little horny, slip him a piece of paper with www.younginterns.com written on it.
i will ;)

i will ask him what colours etc he wants he already has a website and all im supposed to be doing is adding abit of life to it :)

vidcc
04-07-2004, 05:22 PM
do you have any examples of previous websites that you have made?
The client will have ideas as to what he wants but you will be more likely to get the contract if you can show past work as a suggestion. it will give them an idea of what to expect and also give you a better idea of what they like. Ask if they have seen a website that they would like to emulate.
The best sites are the ones that look slick but are simple at the same time. Simple smoothe animation can give the impression of complexity but be faster loading and look better.
Take in their ideas but make them aware of practicalities. A site that needs a lot of navigation can be annoying, however a site that is well laid out with an easy menu that takes the viewer to where they want to be without having to use a map...........
I only dabble in website design, i started as a project with my son, however in the learning process we did a lot of surfing and found that the best work was the simplest.
Sites with lots of clutter and over animated took longer to load (and we have broadband) and frankly distracted from the companies business.

Marius24
04-07-2004, 05:38 PM
i have created a few websites and have ideas ready to show him and will be doing some but not alot of animation, i am basicly going for colour but at the same not take the idea away that its a company website. Only reason i ask for tips is cos im 15 and am abit unconfident :helpsmile:

I'll get over it though :lol:

vivitron 15
04-07-2004, 06:38 PM
try to find out about the company as much as poss and ask some intelligent Q's based on that - itll make you seem really interested, and youll have stg to say if they ask "so what do you think..."

DWk
04-07-2004, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Marius24@7 April 2004 - 10:38
i have created a few websites and have ideas ready to show him and will be doing some but not alot of animation, i am basicly going for colour but at the same not take the idea away that its a company website. Only reason i ask for tips is cos im 15 and am abit unconfident :helpsmile:

I'll get over it though :lol:
I started at 15. I remember the first time.... pretty nervous...just like a job interview. It's been 4 years now... oh much more confidence now. Don't worry...they still see you as a kid, so that's an advantage :)

vidcc
04-07-2004, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by DWk@7 April 2004 - 11:32

I started at 15. I remember the first time.... pretty nervous...just like a job interview. It's been 4 years now... oh much more confidence now. Don't worry...they still see you as a kid, so that's an advantage :)
are we still talking about website design? :lol: :lol:

Marius24
04-07-2004, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by vidcc+7 April 2004 - 20:22--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (vidcc @ 7 April 2004 - 20:22)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-DWk@7 April 2004 - 11:32

I started at 15. I remember the first time.... pretty nervous...just like a job interview. It&#39;s been 4 years now... oh much more confidence now. Don&#39;t worry...they still see you as a kid, so that&#39;s an advantage&nbsp; :)
are we still talking about website design? :lol: :lol: [/b][/quote]
:lol: :lol: at least im not nervous now :lol: :lol:

bigboab
04-07-2004, 08:37 PM
I know it wont be much help in this instance, sorry. :( But if you are going to be doing this sort of thing long term take a short(or long) course in Business Systems Analysis and Design. I can assure you it will be to your advantage in the future. It will learn you not to miss anything out in your design. :)

DWk
04-07-2004, 10:05 PM
w0ops :rolleyes:

HELL&#33; It applies for both things.... glad the interviewer was a very nice (and hot&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;) lady :rolleyes: :D

Marius24
04-08-2004, 11:29 AM
well i just been and had a good time. I showed him some examples asked questions and all seemed to go well :D . He said that i should just make the website layout and we will discuss colours and content next time when my design is finished. He really liked one design i showed him so it should hopefully be easy to do :D

Marius24
04-08-2004, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by bigboab@7 April 2004 - 20:37
I know it wont be much help in this instance, sorry. :( But if you are going to be doing this sort of thing long term take a short(or long) course in Business Systems Analysis and Design. I can assure you it will be to your advantage in the future. It will learn you not to miss anything out in your design. :)
I am currently taking GCSE IT and for project thing we have to make leaflets websites etc and we have to do analysis performance criterea etc so hopefully i wont have much trouble there B)

Sparkle1984
04-08-2004, 04:31 PM
What is that www.younginterns.com website about? I can&#39;t seem to get onto it.

I&#39;m hoping to do an internship in web design this summer as well. I&#39;ve applied for one scheme so far, which has a 33% success rate. (Last year 120 students in my county applied, but only 40 companies - meaning most students didn&#39;t get a placement).