PDA

View Full Version : Just Stuck With One Useless Dat File.

mr-rain
04-07-2004, 05:30 PM
Just grabbed me this big ass game file and it finished downloading finally. But now it sits as a DAT paper weight. this has happened a couple times before but this is a big file and would like to solve this issue if possible. Are there resources still missing? Or some other reason to it? CAN IT BE FIXED?!? :ghostface:

Guillaume
04-07-2004, 05:46 PM
Just rename it manually.

oh and copy the .dat file to another folder first, just to be safe...

h1
04-07-2004, 10:17 PM
Just rename the file like Gurahl said.

BTW, have you moved your shared folder recently or installed a newer version of KL?

mr-rain
04-08-2004, 03:36 AM
eh... so I did the rename bit with no luck.
I haven't made any applicable changes to the folder recently, just changed the directory to anoth HD upon initial setup but I don't think that'd be the problem.

perhapps I should rename it to something else besides exe?

here's another question, got another file that IS exe but I can't open it. just flashes a command prompt window for a sec the closes. now typically one would use an ISO program for this... but this doesn't seem to be the case either. any ideas?

Rip The Jacker
04-08-2004, 04:19 AM
What did you download? And what was the filename inside Kazaa Lite?

Mr. Blunt
04-08-2004, 05:01 AM
Kazaa Lite K++ FAQs (http://kplusplus.kazaaliteinfo.com/faq/index.php?p=default&cat=6)

h1
04-08-2004, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by mr-rain@7 April 2004 - 22:36
just changed the directory to anoth HD upon initial setup but I don't think that'd be the problem.
There's your problem. The DAT file MUST finish in the same directory it started in, or you're screwed.

As to your other question, there is an old DOS program which lets you look at the first 32KB of a file (to help determine what it is), but I can't remember it ATM.

mr-rain
04-08-2004, 10:42 AM
file name was Terminator war of machines (clever's) approx 470MG in size

when i said that i changed the download directory, i meant that i had changed/set it when i initially installed kazaa. (before ever downloading anything)

know of any good ftp sites with games for trade?

h1
04-08-2004, 11:33 PM
xFTPx. I'm not allowed to post a link.

Facsimile
04-19-2004, 12:41 PM
I have had the same problem. I have three files that are stuck as DAT files because Kazaa Lite didn't change them once it finished downloading. I have never changed the directory or whatever. All of them have been movie files, and big ones for a 56k modem. There must be a way to fix this!

h1
04-19-2004, 10:44 PM
If K++ / Windows crashes or your connection hangs (very often on a 56K), this might happen. :)

raen7
04-22-2004, 08:15 AM
Like Facsimile, I have about 4 .dat files that are completed or nearly completed. There has to be a way to either resume them, or convert them into .avi files (they're movies). Otherwise I'll have to use VideoLAN every time I want to watch them :( ... What about the K-Dat add-on? Please tell me there is hope...

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to say: they no longer show up in my traffic window.
EDIT2: Actually, simply renaming the file worked for the ones that were completed. I still want to know if I can somehow resume the incomplete ones though.

MUSLEMAN
04-22-2004, 08:53 AM
if you find a source for them you can add them with k-dat or if you find another dat file of the same exact file that has new sources you can merge the 2 dat files

backlash
04-23-2004, 01:20 PM
that happens to me too. close program - reopen it -- check file again. should change to the file it's supposed to be.