PDA

View Full Version : A Sad Farewell Rip Timothy

vidcc
04-08-2004, 04:21 PM
online comic where i got the story (http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/allnews/tm_objectid=14128078%26method=full%26siteid=50143%26headline=r%2di%2dp%2d%2dtimothy-name_page.html)

HE came, he saw, he hibernated - now Timothy the tortoise is dead at 160.

Britain's oldest resident, who served at sea during the Crimean War, died peacefully in his garden home at the Earl of Devon's castle.

Written on his underside, was the family motto "Where have I fallen? What have I done?" The last, poignant answers were "In his wisteria bed" and "Not a lot".

Grieving Lord Devon said: "We shall miss him dreadfully. He was always here. He left hibernation early this year and seemed well. But a cold spell, combined with his fragility, was too much for him."

Timothy, was at least 10 when he was captured from a Portuguese privateer in 1854 by Navy captain John Courtenay Everard, a relative of the 10th Earl of Devon. He served as ship's mascot aboard HMS Queen during the first bombardment of Sebastopol in the Crimean War.

Timothy then moved to HMS Princess Charlotte and HMS Nankin for active service in the East Indies and China between 1857 and 1860.

Naval historian George Cardew said: "This entitled him to both service medals. It was typical of his modesty he chose not to wear them."

Having achieved so much for Queen and Country Timothy retired to his wisteria patch at Powderham Castle, near Exeter. Here, he enjoyed dandelion leaves and, as a treat, the occasional strawberry.

For dynastic reasons it was decided in 1926 Timothy should mate. It was then discovered that he was, in fact, female.

Lady Gabrielle Courtenay, 91, the present earl's aunt, said: "He tried with a tortoise called Toby. It wasn't a success."

During the Second World War, Timothy showed a keen instinct for survival by building his own air raid shelter under terraced steps after feeling the vibration of bombs falling on Exeter.

Recently the 11lbs veteran, the oldest known Mediterranean Spur Thighed Tortoise, wore a tag reading "My name is Timothy. I am very old - please do not pick me up." He will be buried with full honours in the castle grounds.

18441844..the year Timothy was born QUEEN Victoria was on the throne. Charles Darwin wrote one of his two essays on The Origin of Species.

Factory Act cut hours of work for children aged 8-13 to six and a half hours a day. Car inventor Karl Benz born. First telegram sent by Samuel Morse. Texas becomes US territory.

Books published include Condition of the Working Classes by Friedrich Engels and Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas.

RGX
04-08-2004, 04:23 PM
:lol:

Rest in peace Timothy! :D

vidcc
04-08-2004, 04:26 PM
apparently he passed away 2 years ago and they only just realised :lol: :lol:

Canti
04-08-2004, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by vidcc@8 April 2004 - 11:26
apparently he passed away 2 years ago and they only just realised :lol: :lol:
Ha... and they called the turtle slow..