PDA

View Full Version : I Have A Virus!

Dray_04
04-09-2004, 01:02 AM
help me guys.

Iv had this problem for a while now.

When i click start > run and type in stuff like msconfig it tells me

This operation has been canelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your ststem adminstrator

WTF .... i am the adminstrator... im the only person who uses my computer...

does sum1 no the solution to this problem?

bulio
04-09-2004, 01:03 AM
ok, go to panda.com and get a free online scan, then find out what the virus is, then download the appropriate cleaner

abu_has_the_power
04-09-2004, 01:16 AM
i recommend online virus scan. also, c if there's any spyware on ur pc

delphin460
04-09-2004, 01:57 AM
some of the programs like tweek xp or even spybot have features that can stop stuff like that being used ,

have you used anything like this , check and see

muchspl2
04-09-2004, 03:18 AM
you wouldn't be in this situation if you were smart and didn't log in as admin all the time
you should never be logged in if you surf the internet etc etc

Dray_04
04-09-2004, 03:52 AM
ok, go to panda.com and get a free online scan, then find out what the virus is, then download the appropriate cleaner

Just 4 days ago i went to google, search for online virus scan, and went to Trend Micro - Free online virus Scan..... it found a few viruses but didnt do much...

some of the programs like tweek xp or even spybot have features that can stop stuff like that being used ,

i used to have Tweak XP but not anymore.... i also have spybot installed.... what should i do....im thnking about downloading tweak xp

you wouldn't be in this situation if you were smart and didn't log in as admin all the time

wtf... how am i suppose to NOT sign in as an administrator...? why the hell would they (WINXP) stop letting me use administration shit just becauuse i signed in as the administrator all the time.... :unsure:

muchspl2
04-09-2004, 04:05 AM
no :nono:
if you didn't catch this virus while you were admin, if wouldn't have ever done near the damage you are trying to fix
what I'm suggesting is don't log on as admin
it prevent any system wide problems like what you have
if you fix it or rather when you give up and reformat
don't make the same mistake twice

Dray_04
04-09-2004, 04:42 AM
so is there no way to fix this?

if i sign in as a non-admin, then i wont be able get the things that i wanted to access anyway

DWk
04-09-2004, 04:48 AM
Originally posted by muchspl2@8 April 2004 - 21:05
if you didn't catch this virus while you were admin, if wouldn't have ever done near the damage you are trying to fix
what I'm suggesting is don't log on as admin
don't make the same mistake twice
I think that he means he has admin priveleges, not logged as admin. Most people think that if they have one user on the machine, they are admins. Get it right, you have ADMIN PRIVELEGES. You have to log on as ADMINISTRATOR to be THE admin :frusty:

ljossberir
04-09-2004, 05:36 AM
Originally posted by dray_02@9 April 2004 - 03:52

Just 4 days ago i went to google, search for online virus scan, and went to Trend Micro - Free online virus Scan..... it found a few viruses but didnt do much...

i used to have Tweak XP but not anymore.... i also have spybot installed.... what should i do....im thnking about downloading tweak xp

wtf... how am i suppose to NOT sign in as an administrator...? why the hell would they (WINXP) stop letting me use administration shit just becauuse i signed in as the administrator all the time.... :unsure:
You shouldn't?
Sorry for those of us that don't know, can you tell me why?
Also, how can you prevent from being signed on like that?

h1
04-09-2004, 06:05 AM
Click on the word "Security" in my sig and download AVG and NOD32. I also recommend that you download Spybot-S&D and XCleaner.

Xero Grid
04-09-2004, 06:11 AM
Sigh...

Virus removal....
nsane (http://nsane.nm.ru/) has the NOD32 stand-alone scanner.
McAfee AVERT Stinger (http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/) may help, too.

Antivirus....
NOD32 (http://www.nod32.com) is excellent
AVG (http://www.grisoft.com/) is excellent, even the free version.

Spyware Removal....
HijackThis! and CWShredder (http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html) can take care of the more harmful spyware.
SpySweeper (http://www.webroot.com/wb/products/spysweeper/index.php) is excellent, but is shareware.
Ad-aware (http://www.lavasoftnews.com/)
Spybot Search and Destroy (http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php)

Personally, I don't care about admin status, but to be safe, you should have a limited account to sign into more often. It's easier to switch in XP.

How else can you prevent crap like this? You'd be surprised how easy it can be....
Can it get any easier than this? (http://filesharingtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=107782&st=0)

Do you know how many times people have posted something like this?

-- Xero Grid --

ilw
04-09-2004, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by DWk+9 April 2004 - 04:48--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DWk @ 9 April 2004 - 04:48)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-muchspl2@8 April 2004 - 21:05
if you didn&#39;t catch this virus while you were admin, if wouldn&#39;t have ever done near the damage you are trying to fix
what I&#39;m suggesting is don&#39;t log on as admin
don&#39;t make the same mistake twice
I think that he means he has admin priveleges, not logged as admin. Most people think that if they have one user on the machine, they are admins. Get it right, you have ADMIN PRIVELEGES. You have to log on as ADMINISTRATOR to be THE admin :frusty: [/b][/quote]
What difference is there between the admin account and an account with admin privileges ?Surely there is no difference, as xp doesn&#39;t stop you from doing anything (no matter how stupid) when you have admin privileges.
I think muchspl was suggesting logging in as a limited user, which is a really good idea, but pisses me off too much for words.

aoyv73
04-09-2004, 11:33 AM
limited user is a joke suh as you cant install a game from cd but you can download and install from the web and you can still do lots of damage

shn
04-09-2004, 11:38 AM
In theory there is no difference. However, if you ever have to use the recovery console for repair options, etc. you will need to be the offical Administrator.

Why the hell would anybody use a limited account. The default limited account that windows has are really not that limited. You can still do something stupid as a limited user and it can mess up some windows functions globally.

Unless you literally manually configure group policy and tell windows what limited users can and can not do then you might as well log in as admin everytime because it does&#39;nt really matter. :)

delphin460
04-09-2004, 12:17 PM
ok to clear this up read on

ok if you click on start and read what it says next to log off

it will say something like log off ( your name )

this means that you are logged in and in most cases you have admin privilages

it does not mean you are logged in as the administrator

the administrator account is a default account set by windows, usualy you wont even see it, the only way to get to it is to log off and log in as the administrator ( if you know the password ect )

if you start in safe mode you can choose to log in as your account or the administraion account

so yes never log in to the administrator account and surf thats correct, but you wouldnt do this anyway

ck-uk
04-09-2004, 12:22 PM
I do to,it only attacks files named female.Pussy virus

ilw
04-09-2004, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by delphin460@9 April 2004 - 12:17
so yes never log in to the administrator account and surf thats correct, but you wouldnt do this anyway
the point is that it makes no difference (at least to any virii/trojans) if you log in as admin or if you log in as someone with admin privileges as xp really only has 2 security levels built in.

delphin460
04-09-2004, 12:36 PM
there is one thing that can happen , a virus or spyware/adware can hide in the docs and settings for administrator, and things like spybot ect only check the users doc and settings , there for it could cause a problem

shn
04-09-2004, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by delphin460@9 April 2004 - 06:17
ok to clear this up read on

ok if you click on start and read what it says next to log off

it will say something like log off ( your name )

this means that you are logged in and in most cases you have admin privilages

it does not mean you are logged in as the administrator

the administrator account is a default account set by windows, usualy you wont even see it, the only way to get to it is to log off and log in as the administrator ( if you know the password ect )

if you start in safe mode you can choose to log in as your account or the administraion account

@delpin460

Somewhat. You are speaking of default installs of XP. Typically XP Home. Xp pro does it as well but there is a fix you can get that will actually have the Welcome Screen diplay the Administrator account. From dougknox.com
XP_AddAdministrator.zip (http://dougknox.com/xp/utils/XP_AddAdministrator.zip)

Eg. XP Home, usually will boot up after install and present the Welcome Screen. If you take for example, any windows machine can be configured to display the login prompt where you can enter username and password. It is part of the group policy setting/settings that can be configured with gpedit.MSC. You can also find it under Administrative tools. It is typically for Nt or System Administrators for group policy on a Windows Domain but it resides on client machines as well. "That way even a home user can set up their box up like a PRO." (cheezy catch phrase)

Ok delpin460, anything below the line is not directed towards you. I just want to add it in my post.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since XP Home can not be configured to join a domain it is really crap. XP Pro is fully loaded (almost too loaded) and the fact that anyone would have anything other between thoose 2 would be one of either 2 things:

1. You Fucked Up&#33; You bought a crappy computer with bloated bundled software and an edition of XP Pro came with it.. Although you may have been thinking they were the same, or that you did not need the features or what not................ you still got screwed.

2. You are one of thoose people that thinks you know what you are talking about in reference to the claims that home users do not need XP Pro.

Bottom Line...............Xp Pro has more features, and if you are going to buy a crappy computer or get stuck with one the least you can do is get your lazy arse up and get a DECENT copy of XP since it is crap anyway.

I personally prefer WIndows 2000 PRO on an Alienware or some other nice machine (don&#39;t hate). However, don&#39;t quote me on that because I preferably use *nix. :ninja:

Izagaia
04-09-2004, 10:38 PM
Pardon my ignorance here, however, I will mention this because I did not read where anyone else has but, is it possible that this is actually a "non-virus/trojan" related problem and just something that became screwed-over in the group policy editor for whatever reason?

I only ask because it does seem that every time someone mentions a "problem" the very first direction that is looked upon is "virus". And suddenly AVG, NOD32, Spybot or some other related application is suddenly appearing on posts in troves along with sites to online virus scanners. I have never myself had a virus running rampant (or at least one that I have detected), but I do have the occasional "fuck-up" on my system which either results from something I have toyed around with while seeing what it does or something that results from some other program that I have installed or did not do correctly. Things that just result from dumb human error on my part really. :frusty:

If what the specific problem here is (and forgive me if I have failed to pick up on anything else related to the topic) just XP not recognizing an administor account as it should, would a viable option be to reboot the system in safe mode as the default admin/owner account and then go into "Administrative Tools" and the policy editor and compare what it is set at currently to another XP pro user&#39;s settings which is running normally?

Hell- for all anyone knows, the problem could have been the result of downloading something unkind from Windows Update. Like that has never happened before... :ghostface:

harrycary
04-10-2004, 12:31 AM
Izagaia

Got to agree...boot into Safe Mode and go from there...

Oh, and from the horses mouth...WinXP Home, help screen...

*only two types of accounts

http://members.cox.net/tonymarchese/user.bmp
(apologies for the bad pic)

shn
04-10-2004, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by harrycary@9 April 2004 - 18:31
Izagaia

&nbsp; &nbsp; *only two types of accounts

See how Microsoft just keeps you in the dark?

There are lots more accounts on your box than that. ;)

Robert00000
04-10-2004, 12:45 AM
there&#39;s too much to read here, its 12.30 am saturday morning, i&#39;ve been drinking and you guys are giving me a headache :wacko:

the answer to the guy with the problem is try using system restore. if that doesnt work tell me tomorrow if i manage to get out of bed. :lol:

Izagaia
04-10-2004, 09:45 PM
:D

Now throwing-out another dumb suggestion (I am male so I can use "dumb" not only as an excuse but with pride) here...

but if you are an XP pro user (corporate included before anyone asks), I think that User Accounts 2 (http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/AddUserPasswords2ToCP.reg) might help as an edcation tool if anyone is remotely interested in the number and type of accounts that are really on your system.

delphin460
04-11-2004, 01:10 AM
what is that , cause its trying to download something from that link , and i dont trush shit , whats that address for the info, ffs dont post link to active downloads

shn
04-11-2004, 01:15 AM
Then I&#39;d watch out for the KL FAQ if I were you. http://filesharingtalk.com/html/emoticons/w00t.gif

Izagaia
04-11-2004, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by delphin460@10 April 2004 - 20:10
what is that , cause its trying to download something from that link , and i dont trush shit , whats that address for the info, ffs dont post link to active downloads
It is a registry edit that places an applet for "useraccounts2" (a utility already on your XP pro system) within your control panel&#39;s "other control panel options" link. This just makes the feature easily available and more accessible.

And BTW, "save" downloads. Never directly "open" them from their source and you will not have to worry about malicsious intent. You can find the address from where it originates by simply right-clicking the link and choosing "properties". ;)

Storm
04-11-2004, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by harrycary@10 April 2004 - 01:31
Izagaia

*only two types of accounts

well im running XP Pro, and i know you can also do this for XP Home (just dont know how)

but these 2 accounts are just 2 of the DEFAULT accounts

but there are more default acounts types than those: like POWER USERS, Backup operators, guests, ect

it is also possible to create your own account types........

for extra security:

have an account with Admin privileges arround to "run as" programs you need to install ect, and LOG IN on an account with very limited priveleges........ this will make sure virii cant change registry, uninstall AV and stuff like that........

delphin460
04-11-2004, 01:28 AM
i sort of know that already, but thanks
Izagaia
can you show me where the detailed info on that would be found , cause im intrested in reading up on it

Izagaia
04-11-2004, 01:44 AM
If you do not wish to download anything, simply open your start menu and type &#39;control userpasswords2&#39; within the "run" field.

Everything is revealed there. However, be cafeful with what you play around with.

Dray_04
04-11-2004, 04:20 AM
hey guys sorry bout the late reply... been busy...

anway at the moment i am currently LAN&#39;ing with 2 of my mates....

both of whom run WinXP Home.... i have Pro CORP...

the thing thats pising me off is that everytime i restart my computer or sum1 restarts there computer we have to configure the network setup over and over, and sumtimes it just doesnt work at all.... like now.... but i will figure it out soon im sure.......

anyway i KNOW that my LANning problems have something to do with adminstration problems.... because i keep getting errors with the word adminstrator in it.....

brb im going to try the things that you guys suggested

Dray_04
04-11-2004, 04:22 AM
OH BTW the error was

MShome is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions...

the list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available....

thats the error that pops up when i click

> My network places...
> View workgroup computers

Dray_04
04-11-2004, 06:56 AM
k

i still cant open msconfig under RUN... even when im "logged" in as the administrator

damnit :angry:

delphin460
04-11-2004, 07:53 AM
so you think you have some sort of virus and you are laning with your mates , well imho they must be as stupid as you dray_02

i wouldnt lan with anyone that even thought they had a virus, let alone go on the net thinking i had a virus and might accidently spread it

look mate , get your shit together and format and reinstall windows, it sounds like you have way too many problems with your current o/s to bother trying to fix it

we could dance round in circles for days trying to find out is wrong on your puter, when a format will fix it all in an hour and you will be able to do everything again

muchspl2
04-11-2004, 08:05 AM
and I still insist that you should NOT be logged on as administrator all the time, their is no way to fuck up your computer as bad as you have were you not the admin surfing/downloading

Dray_04
04-11-2004, 09:54 AM
my fkn XP cd is scratched.... if i dl off suprnova and use my cd key that i have got here... will it be alright? i mean... will i be able to download the updates off microsoft without any hassles regarding to fake OS installation...

delphin460
04-11-2004, 10:22 AM
the answer is yes as long as its the same version , eg corp or pro ect

just get it done sooner rather than later and avoid spreading any virus

Chewie
04-11-2004, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by delphin460@11 April 2004 - 10:22
You mean Home or Pro.
Corp is just a volume license key used to install Pro.

Dray_04
04-11-2004, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by delphin460@11 April 2004 - 22:22

just get it done sooner rather than later and avoid spreading any virus
lol surely whateva i have cannot be spread onto other computers... without some kind of hint... and i would know.....

anyway....

i got nortons ghost 2003.... and tried to copy an image from my 60gb HDD 5,400 rpm to my brand new formated 80Gb Sata HDD...

but after completion it came up with an error...which really annoys me...because it took ages to copy.. (which in the end didnt even work)

Is there a way i can copy a image from my HDD (60Gb ) to the Sata 80gb.... other than using nortons ghost.. does any1 recommend anything?

ck-uk
04-11-2004, 11:45 AM
You could try coping or an older version of ghost.exe on a floppy n do it through dosIt&#39;ll prob be the same as the way 2003 does it..

you never no mate.

delphin460
04-11-2004, 12:05 PM
so you have never heard of network aware viruses then dray_02 , hmmmm
yes it can be spread via lan very easily indeed

and why would you even want to ghost your current operating system, its stuffed

just copy any needed files or software to the new drive , forget the operating system

and then kill it off

man you are making this so hard for your self, just download the xp you need and just get it done

Dray_04
04-12-2004, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by delphin460@12 April 2004 - 00:05
so you have never heard of network aware viruses then dray_02 , hmmmm
yes it can be spread via lan very easily indeed

and why would you even want to ghost your current operating system, its stuffed

just copy any needed files or software to the new drive , forget the operating system

and then kill it off

man you are making this so hard for your self, just download the xp you need and just get it done
alright man thanks ... and chill out