PDA

View Full Version : How Do I Install A Third Internal Hard Drive?

wienerschnitzel
04-09-2004, 09:21 PM
basically my question is, can i unplug a cd rom drive and put a hard drive there?

All i want to do is transfer some files from my hard drive onto my firends computer. he already has two hard drives installed and refuses to let me take out one temporarily. (i dont want to argue with him so please don't tell me not to try to convince him that its safe, i already tried).

since this will only be temporarily i dont need worry worry about mounting it properly or heat. will it work as long as I set it the jumper to secondary (assuming the other cd drive is primary)? are there any options that i need to change in the bios?

btw, there about 50 gigs of stuff i want to transfer. i considered taking my computer and using a crossover cable but then i realized how lazy i was.

thanks

edit : fixed grammar

kaiweiler
04-09-2004, 10:05 PM
yes, you can do that I am quite sure, but one will slow the other down, but if it's just for some file switching go for it

Mad Cat
04-09-2004, 10:31 PM
Do not install hard drives and CD drives on the same IDE channel.

Storm
04-09-2004, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by Mad Cat@9 April 2004 - 23:31
why not???

ive done it at a friend of mine's (dint have another option, damn pre-fab-PC's)........ works perfectly

kaiweiler
04-09-2004, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by Mad Cat@9 April 2004 - 18:31
He's not keeping them hooked up on the same channel, just for a few mins to switch some files over
it's fine dude, go for it

atiVidia
04-09-2004, 11:45 PM
make sure ur comp has no mbr viruses tho otherwise he is sure to kill u.

if he has 2 hdds, he should get an external enclosure. it really helps in times like this lol. a usb2 + firewire combo enclosure is, on avg, $80

wienerschnitzel
04-10-2004, 12:38 AM
i would buy the external enclosure but this wont be permanent. it will just be a few hours (or how ever long it takes to transefer 50 gigs worth of stuff).

would it be safer to unplug the other cd drive so that the secondary ide channel only has the one hard drive on it?

delphin460
04-10-2004, 01:12 AM
Mad Cat your an idiot, know what your talking about b4 typing crap like that

there is no reason you cant have any combo of drives and cd/ dvd, as long as you have 1 hard drive thats the operating system , and even that doesnt have to be c drive or even on ide 0 master

there used to be an issue with burners and cdrrom's being on the same ide , but that was a software issue , and thats not even a problem now

Realy some of you ppl better learn not to blurt out the first thing that comes out of your tiny brains without proof, it confuses many posts here that i have seen

johnboy27
04-10-2004, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by delphin460@10 April 2004 - 02:12
Mad Cat your an idiot, know what your talking about b4 typing crap like that

there is no reason you cant have any combo of drives and cd/ dvd, as long as you have 1 hard drive thats the operating system , and even that doesnt have to be c drive or even on ide 0 master

there used to be an issue with burners and cdrrom's being on the same ide , but that was a software issue , and thats not even a problem now

Realy some of you ppl better learn not to blurt out the first thing that comes out of your tiny brains without proof, it confuses many posts here that i have seen
Yeah,what he said. I had three harddrives in my old computer for a while.One was on the IDE with my cdrom and I had no problems with it.

lightshow
04-10-2004, 04:48 AM
would it be safer to unplug the other cd drive so that the secondary ide channel only has the one hard drive on it?

You shouldn't have to worry about that. But are one of those "safer than sorry" people, you can if you want to.

Mad Cat
04-10-2004, 10:40 AM
I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to have them on the same IDE channel, but megh.

4th gen
04-10-2004, 10:46 AM
I've got three internal drives. My Boot drive is on the primary IDE cable with my CDRW drive. My second drive is on the secondary IDE cable by itself. The third is on S-ATA.

It's generally recommended that you don't put an optical drive and a HDD on the same IDE cable, transfer rates can take a big hit. However, if it's only for a little while to transfer a few files, it shouldn't do any damage

delphin460
04-10-2004, 10:52 AM
4th , that general recommendation come from the days of ide 33 and pent 1 era

new ultra ide from 66 up , was designed to fix this problem, you will not find a mobo manufacturer that suggests not to run that config now

J'Pol
04-10-2004, 10:58 AM
I have 3 hdd's and 1 DVD burner.

2 of the hdd are attached inside of the computer and on the same channel.

The third hdd is in a removable caddy, this is the one with the media on it. This drive is on the same ide as the DVD writer.

The 2 inside are the root drive with OS and programs and a working drive, used for downloads, ripping etc.

Given that the media drive is used for storage, playback and sharing I have no problem with it being on the same channel as the DVD writer. Particularly as it can supply data faster than the cable modem can upload it.

I would suggest that you secure the drive before transferring 50Gb of data. you wouldn't want it shaking while the data is being transferred. Too much risk of physically damaging the surfaces.

Mad Cat
04-10-2004, 12:08 PM
Fine I'm wrong.

Virtualbody1234
04-10-2004, 02:24 PM
No matter which way you look at it, since it's only a temporary arrangement, it doesn't really matter. I would unplug the two (2) optical drives and connect the third hard drive to that cable. You probably don't need the optical drive(s) while you do the data transfer anyway.