PDA

View Full Version : Council Tax Bill

Cheese
04-10-2004, 10:23 AM
Just received a letter from the council demanding that I pay them 60 quid straight away or risk facing court proceedings. What fun!

The bill dates back to six years ago when I lived with my "friend" Karl. I paid my half of the bill but he, even though he was working, never paid a penny of it. So now lucky me gets to pay it, I know from my experience as a volunteer that I am liable for Karl's half of the bill even though I paid my side of the bill.

I'll pay it as I have no choice, hopefully they'll be willing to accept payment in installments...but really did they need to send it for Easter weekend, way to ryuin my whole weekend.

Cheers PCC. <_<

J'Pol
04-10-2004, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Withcheese@10 April 2004 - 11:23
Just received a letter from the council demanding that I pay them 60 quid straight away or risk facing court proceedings. What fun&#33;

The bill dates back to six years ago when I lived with my "friend" Karl. I paid my half of the bill but he, even though he was working, never paid a penny of it. So now lucky me gets to pay it, I know from my experience as a volunteer that I am liable for Karl&#39;s half of the bill even though I paid my side of the bill.

I&#39;ll pay it as I have no choice, hopefully they&#39;ll be willing to accept payment in installments...but really did they need to send it for Easter weekend, way to ryuin my whole weekend.

Cheers PCC. <_<
Maybe you should hunt Karl down and kick the shit out of him.

That seems fair.

threelions00
Council Tax...now there&#39;s a can of worms...in my experience they are useless...

I read the list of things they do. E.g. litter picking? must be done in the middle of the night. i recently asked for a wheelie bin (which remains property of the local council)...their answer was that i should pay them £40...or talk to the people i rent off...what are they actually doing?

a percentage goes to the police. i have not used the police recently. Now call me a little extreme here but i have a theory. I have been caught speeding twice. So if i forget about the tax for a second, i have actually paid £150 ( i was a day late paying the seond fine so they smacked an extra £30 on top) for the privilege of the police fining me and putting 6 points on my license...not to mention the tax i pay for their wages...

£150 plus the tax...i could have bought something useful, maybe against crime prevention....

i just had another thought...i&#39;m downloading stuff for free...isn&#39;t that piracy?
so that&#39;s where my money goes...trying to track me down&#33;

ck-uk
pay,forget it.

The council had me a few yrs ago m8 your not alone...in the end they start&#39;d attachin from my wages through the company i worked for.They always get u one way or another

Cheese
04-10-2004, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by J&#39;Pol+10 April 2004 - 09:45--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (J&#39;Pol @ 10 April 2004 - 09:45)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Withcheese@10 April 2004 - 11:23
Just received a letter from the council demanding that I pay them 60 quid straight away or risk facing court proceedings.&nbsp; What fun&#33;

The bill dates back to six years ago when I lived with my "friend" Karl.&nbsp; I paid my half of the bill but he, even though he was working, never paid a penny of it.&nbsp; So now lucky me gets to pay it, I know from my experience as a volunteer that I am liable for Karl&#39;s half of the bill even though I paid my side of the bill.

I&#39;ll pay it as I have no choice, hopefully they&#39;ll be willing to accept payment in installments...but really did they need to send it for Easter weekend, way to ryuin my whole weekend.

Cheers PCC. <_<

That seems fair. [/b][/quote]
He shouldn&#39;t be too hard to track as he is now a guest of Her Majesty...

@ck-uk: It looks like all I can do is pay it, hopefully they&#39;ll accept installments as I work as a volunteer. Though my current landlady has offered to lend me the money, bless her.

J'Pol
04-10-2004, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Withcheese+10 April 2004 - 11:52--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Withcheese @ 10 April 2004 - 11:52)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by J&#39;Pol@10 April 2004 - 09:45
<!--QuoteBegin-Withcheese@10 April 2004 - 11:23
Just received a letter from the council demanding that I pay them 60 quid straight away or risk facing court proceedings. What fun&#33;

The bill dates back to six years ago when I lived with my "friend" Karl. I paid my half of the bill but he, even though he was working, never paid a penny of it. So now lucky me gets to pay it, I know from my experience as a volunteer that I am liable for Karl&#39;s half of the bill even though I paid my side of the bill.

Cheers PCC. <_<

That seems fair.
He shouldn&#39;t be too hard to track as he is now a guest of Her Majesty...

@ck-uk: It looks like all I can do is pay it, hopefully they&#39;ll accept installments as I work as a volunteer. Though my current landlady has offered to lend me the money, bless her. [/b][/quote]
Tax Evasion ? :blink:

aoyv73
04-10-2004, 11:02 AM
He or she who has there name on the rent card has to pay i pay for my git son then have to try to get the money from him such a unfair tax

Ella
04-10-2004, 11:05 AM
I pay the equivalent of 520 pounds every six months to a council that doesn&#39;t even provide me with paved footpaths&#33; :angry:

ck-uk
04-10-2004, 11:08 AM
Sorted then Withcheese.Hopefull she&#39;ll want something in return :D

Cheese
04-10-2004, 11:17 AM
The more I think about it the madder I get...

To add a little more insult to injury my landlord at that time who lived on top of us (and harrassed the feck out of us) is now a councillor for PCC. He recently left the Lib Dems after he verbally attacked (in the local paper) the students in our city for being untidy and for not paying council tax...

It back-fired on him though as it transpired that most of the people he had rented from had been, in fact, students. Actually that has cheered me up a little. :lol:

gungrave
04-10-2004, 11:30 AM
ask a m8 if u can borrow the money :P

ck-uk
04-10-2004, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Withcheese@10 April 2004 - 11:17
It back-fired on him though as it transpired that most of the people he had rented from had been, in fact, students. Actually that has cheered me up a little. :lol:
Its common.You get a lot of it man.Around here every tom dick n....buy run-down properties,knock em up to cheap flats for students,unemploy&#39;d.Guaranteed payment from the dss

blunt_on_tour
04-10-2004, 11:53 AM
Hi Withcheese :D Remember ole blunt from over at DirtStation5? ;) :lol:

I&#39;m right with you on the Council Tax issue - it&#39;s way out of control, even with the so called Government Cap it goes up year on year and we never seem to get anything more for our money, except maybe more speed cameras :rolleyes:

If they didn&#39;t let that little old lady off her council tax, they sure as shit won&#39;t take pity on you ;) and she was only on a state pension of £77 a week. John Prescott gave her a personal dressing-down, but I doubt he&#39;ll want to speak to you - they&#39;ll just throw the book at you cause you&#39;re not likely to tug the heart-strings of the voting public...unless you&#39;re actually a 4&#39; tall 97 year-old female that wears home-made clothes? ;)

Hey, you can be anything you want to be on the internet.... :lol:

Cheese
04-10-2004, 12:15 PM
Hiya blunt, I do remeber you from my brief visit to es% :D

I&#39;ve just got to hope that because I&#39;m willing to pay, but not straight away, they don&#39;t start court proceedings. Doing so doesn&#39;t make much sense to me, they&#39;ve waited 6 years before chasing down 60 quid what&#39;s a couple more months...?

Mind you, the council does work in its own mysterious way... :ph34r:

Rat Faced
04-10-2004, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Withcheese@10 April 2004 - 10:23

Cheers PCC. <_<
Is this the 1st time in 6 years they have mentioned it?

I merely ask as a Lands Tribunal Decision in the 1990&#39;s stated that the Billing Authority had to demand its money within a reasonable time.

The Lands Tribunal was about NNDR (National Non Domestic Rates), however i&#39;m pretty sure it applies to Council Tax too.

In addition, if you can prove you paid your half, they have to pursue the other party before they can enforce the Joint Liability....so tell them where he is ;)

Cheese
04-10-2004, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Rat Faced+10 April 2004 - 11:34--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Rat Faced @ 10 April 2004 - 11:34)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Withcheese@10 April 2004 - 10:23
Just received a letter from the council demanding that I pay them 60 quid straight away or risk facing court proceedings.&nbsp; What fun&#33;

The bill dates back to six years ago when I lived with my "friend" Karl.&nbsp; I paid my half of the bill but he, even though he was working, never paid a penny of it.&nbsp; So now lucky me gets to pay it, I know from my experience as a volunteer that I am liable for Karl&#39;s half of the bill even though I paid my side of the bill.

Cheers PCC. <_<
Is this the 1st time in 6 years they have mentioned it?

I merely ask as a Lands Tribunal Decision in the 1990&#39;s stated that the Billing Authority had to demand its money within a reasonable time.

The Lands Tribunal was about NNDR (National Non Domestic Rates), however i&#39;m pretty sure it applies to Council Tax too.

In addition, if you can prove you paid your half, they have to pursue the other party before they can enforce the Joint Liability....so tell them where he is ;) [/b][/quote]
Kool, I&#39;ll look into it. I have the benefit of working for the youth enquiry service so hopefully I might be able to get some advice from my own organization as well.

(Even though I am technically too old to go there... :lol: )