PDA

View Full Version : Virtualdub

hungrylilboy
04-10-2004, 08:02 PM
what compression do i want to use for the video and audio if i am converting from mpg to avi?
the file size is 437mb and i want it to be about 220mb.

4th gen
04-10-2004, 08:06 PM
I usually use "DivX Mpeg4 Fast-motion", but you should experiment around with smaller clips to find a codec which suits your needs. Remember that you can resize a clip to get it smaller: Video>filters>add>resize and then enter a new resolution.

hungrylilboy
04-10-2004, 09:04 PM
doesnt make it smaller. avi file size is still the same. what mode do i need to use? full compression? and then what for the audio codec?

4th gen
04-10-2004, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by hungrylilboy@10 April 2004 - 20:04
doesnt make it smaller. avi file size is still the same. what mode do i need to use? full compression? and then what for the audio codec?
What's the current codec? G Spot will tell you if you're not sure.
How long is the video and what resolution is it currently?

DrSpud
04-11-2004, 03:43 AM
The first thing you want to do is go to 'File' -> 'File Information' and find out a few things. Under 'Audio Track' find the bitrate of the audio, if it's under 224kbps then you really shouldn't bother changing it and you should leave the audio on 'Direct stream copy'. Then under 'Video Track' find the 'Average bitrate' item. You are going to want to use a little more than half of this value for the encoding bitrate you use. For the compression mode, you want to use 'Fast recompress' mode.

You may have to play around with the bitrate to get the right file size, but that's really the only thing you need to change.

If doing it like this gives you less than desireable quality, you probably want to reduce the resolution a little. If you do so (or use any other filters), then you will need to use full processing mode. But just converting mpg to avi like you're doing (without the one exception I just mentioned) only requires the fast recompress mode.

hungrylilboy
04-11-2004, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by DrSpud@11 April 2004 - 03:43
You are going to want to use a little more than half of this value for the encoding bitrate you use.
where do i find the option to change this?

DrSpud
04-13-2004, 04:16 AM
Originally posted by hungrylilboy+11 April 2004 - 05:24--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (hungrylilboy &#064; 11 April 2004 - 05:24)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-DrSpud@11 April 2004 - 03:43
You are going to want to use a little more than half of this value for the encoding bitrate you use.
where do i find the option to change this?[/b][/quote]
Go to &#39;Video&#39; -> &#39;Compression&#39;, and select the codec you&#39;re using. If the options on that dialogue are greyed out, click &#39;Configure&#39;, and then you should be able to find the encoding bitrate field where you can put in the value; otherwise you check the &#39;Use target data rate of&#39; box and put in the value in the box next to it.