PDA

View Full Version : Disk Error On Error Checking

angel_of_death57
04-11-2004, 01:58 PM
"Windows was unable to complete the disk check"

This is the error i get after phase 3 and cannot complete the other checking. Please help me with this.

I had to send my pc into the shop after i did a boot scan and it frooze on Phase 5 at 99% and switched off and lost all data. Since then i cannot do phases 3.4 and 5. Please Help

tesco
04-11-2004, 03:36 PM
I think you should back up anything important from the hard disk (thats if the data hasnt all been erased yet) and then format the drive, then reinstall operating system, although I know chewieuk is gonna hate me for saying it lol.

angel_of_death57
04-11-2004, 07:23 PM
Already tried didn't work, must be something that can fix this problem.

GrubMe
04-11-2004, 09:28 PM
Okay...
About using norton utilities 2003 - 2004?
Or try defragging your computer afterwards.
If not try reformatting** Last option.

Chewie
04-11-2004, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@11 April 2004 - 15:36
I think you should back up anything important from the hard disk (thats if the data hasnt all been erased yet) and then format the drive, then reinstall operating system, although I know chewieuk is gonna hate me for saying it lol.
No I'm n ot because I think the HDD is duff ;)

tesco
04-11-2004, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Chewie UK+11 April 2004 - 16:29--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Chewie UK @ 11 April 2004 - 16:29)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ROSSCO_2004@11 April 2004 - 15:36
No I&#39;m n ot because I think the HDD is duff ;) [/b][/quote]
ya i agree the hard drive is probably going. its got too many bad sectors on it.

how old is the drive? if its old then it would probably be wise to buy a newer, bigger, faster hard drive to replace it. but if its new id try to get it replaced by the manugacturer.

angel_of_death57
04-12-2004, 05:29 PM
Hard drive is 5 months old.

Its only since shop took it in. Could the disk error that occured have something ot do with it. It stopped at 99% on a check then i had to restart pc and it said their was a disk read error.

Chewie
04-12-2004, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by angel_of_death57@12 April 2004 - 17:29
Hard drive is 5 months old.

Its only since shop took it in. Could the disk error that occured have something ot do with it. It stopped at 99% on a check then i had to restart pc and it said their was a disk read error.
What exactly is the program you&#39;re using, what is it doing and what are these phases?

Mïcrösöül°V³
04-12-2004, 07:10 PM
i had a new drive do similar. it turned out that the SMART had failed on the drive, so it didnt know what the hell to do. my drive developed alzheimers. :D

GrubMe
04-12-2004, 07:21 PM
Goto into BIOS and see ;) .
J.K

5 months old and you sent it to the shop and still they couldn&#39;t fix it...

angel_of_death57
04-12-2004, 08:07 PM
I think their is a bit of confusion here so let me explain to the full.

Had pc for 6 months, i do a boot up full disk scan every few weeks where it does the 5 part scan right. It frooze at 99% on part 5. I took it to the shop and they had to re-format the pc and i lost everything. I have managed to get everyhting back. And i went to do my every few weeks boot up scan. It got ot the end of part 3 and says "Windows cannot read Security &#39;something or other&#39; end of scan."
So i thought i will try a normal full scan where u right click on yourhard drive and it does it deep 5 phases scan not the short 3 scan. No matter which one i select it gives me the error message
"Windows was unable to complete the disk check"
My pc cannot seem to do the full scans like it could before it went to the shop.

Does anyone what to do to fix this should i ring up a tecnical support line i would rather not since it costs so much.

angel_of_death57
04-12-2004, 08:44 PM
Ok i got a update, i downloaded the offical maxtor powermax drive tester and says i have a fault and i need ot ring them up about it. Great just great i am sick of all the crap my pc gets. Oh well thanks for help people, i like this froum its always good for help.

Mïcrösöül°V³
04-12-2004, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by angel_of_death57@12 April 2004 - 14:44
Ok i got a update, i downloaded the offical maxtor powermax drive tester and says i have a fault and i need ot ring them up about it. Great just great i am sick of all the crap my pc gets. Oh well thanks for help people, i like this froum its always good for help.
i wonder if someone tried to do a system restore on the drive and then killed the power to the comp. that seems to wreck a drive.

angel_of_death57
04-12-2004, 09:28 PM
Erm yeah that happened is that a bad thing.

Mïcrösöül°V³
04-12-2004, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by angel_of_death57@12 April 2004 - 15:28
Erm yeah that happened is that a bad thing.
http://www.mcbriens.net/liam/img/smilies/yes.gifoh yea, it kills the SMART on the drive

Mïcrösöül°V³
04-12-2004, 10:02 PM
youll get " SMART status failed" or something like that. the drive will slowly get worse. try to get your data off of it ASAP, cuz the thing will get totally inoperable. but a nice thing is.....................warranty covers it ;)
just dont tell them what you did..............just say "it quit working, i dont know why"

angel_of_death57
04-13-2004, 10:21 AM
Thats what i am going to do, since i got it from PC world UK i am going back hteirthis thursday and saying 6 weeks ago i brought it in to get it fixed after a disk read error and i needed the update disk. Then the other ay i did a disk error checker and it couldnt complete so i contacted Maxtor and they said download PowerMax 3 and put it onto a Floppy disc so i did that and it sais it could not complete andi need to contact maxtor. So i checked on the site and it says i need a replacement becuase of a corrupt disk.

Well looks like i need a replacement.