PDA

View Full Version : Windows Xp Login

OnYx
04-11-2004, 10:56 PM
i have windows xp pro and when i loging to my computere at the welcome screen it just sort of hangs after i type my password for about a minute then it gets past a welcome screen i dont know y this is happening but i saw that threre was a patch to fix this but it says u hav to call microsoft to get it im not sure if i should call them seeing as my copy of windows is not legit is there any other way to fix this ?

Thanks

Xero Grid
04-12-2004, 12:35 AM
Okay, if someone said you have to call Microsoft, they're lying.

All patches are available through Windows Update.

It may just be hanging because of your user settings. It has to load all the settings at that time. You may have too much in startup.

Or for example if you use an intense program to change the entire GUI, such as stardock's Window Blinds.

RegSeeker (http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm) allows you to see and control what starts up, and allows you to make several tweaks as well as clean the registry.

I think it's just system maintenance really.

Oh, and don't call Microsoft... ever... for whatever reason.

-- Xero Grid --

OnYx
04-12-2004, 01:27 AM
ill try regseeker and i reduced startup programs from msconfig but i read on the microsoft website saying u need to call to abtain the patch

Xero Grid
04-12-2004, 01:40 AM
Well, taking stuff out of startup should help, but I've never heard of this patch.
As a warning, be careful it's the legit site because there are sites that work off typing errors, such as "micorsoft.com" instead of "microsoft.com"

If it turns out you need some miracle patch, try Autopatcher XP (http://www.autopatcher.com/Index.htm)
It has a lot of patches (I think all as of february) and tweaks.

If all else fails, google it. There would have to be something out there to help you.

-- Xero Grid --

4th gen
04-12-2004, 01:43 AM
Just curious, what spec is your computer?

OnYx
04-12-2004, 01:58 AM
i tried regseeker it didnt work, i have a amd duron 1ghz 512ddrram 80gb hdd

4th gen
04-12-2004, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by OnYx@12 April 2004 - 00:58
i tried regseeker it didnt work, i have a amd duron 1ghz 512ddrram 80gb hdd
Has it ever loaded without hanging?

OnYx
04-12-2004, 02:03 AM
yea this started happening about a month ago before everything was fine

4th gen
04-12-2004, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by OnYx@12 April 2004 - 01:03
yea this started happening about a month ago before everything was fine
How many items do you still have in msconfig?
What programs have you added recently?

Xero Grid
04-12-2004, 02:06 AM
About the time this started, did you just install Service Pack 1?

-- Xero Grid --

OnYx
04-12-2004, 02:11 AM
yea i think it was

Xero Grid
04-12-2004, 02:16 AM
Then that's your problem. You need to change your XP product key before installing SP1 with the corp key and several other keys.

There are keychangers out there that use something built into XP.

That's why MS wants you to call them....
They added that security feature to kill certain blacklisted keys on installation of SP1.

It will get much worse. Eventually, your system will die.
You need to reformat with, either a CD with SP1 already on it, or change your key before you install SP1

-- Xero Grid --

OnYx
04-12-2004, 02:19 AM
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=329457 this is the article i read

OnYx
04-12-2004, 02:21 AM
i did change the key cuz if ididnt i wouldnt even be able to download or install sp1

Xero Grid
04-12-2004, 02:49 AM
Then, this is a pretty weird problem.

Well, if it's related to your group policy settings, then changing them should have an effect. I don't deal with group policy settings much, and this problem doesn't appear to be very old.

Maybe X-Setup (http://www.x-setup.net/) can allow you to change some hidden setting reffering to group policy settings.

It does say the next service pack will have the fix.

-- Xero Grid --

Chewie
04-12-2004, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by Xero Grid@12 April 2004 - 02:16
Then that's your problem. You need to change your XP product key before installing SP1 with the corp key and several other keys.

There are keychangers out there that use something built into XP.

That's why MS wants you to call them....
They added that security feature to kill certain blacklisted keys on installation of SP1.

It will get much worse. Eventually, your system will die.
You need to reformat with, either a CD with SP1 already on it, or change your key before you install SP1

-- Xero Grid --
This is misleading.
If your XP installation was done using a key that is blacklisted in SP1/SP1a then the Service Pack will not install on your computer. It does not install then disable Windows, nor does it slowly degrade the system until you can't boot into Windows. It won't 'unregister' Windows requiring you activate it either.
A re-installation in this case is not necessary, just follow M$ instructions to change your CD Key to one that isn't blacklisted.

Xero Grid
04-12-2004, 07:43 PM
You're right. It doesn't install. It'll say some crap about not being eligible for SP1, but it will slowly kill your system, if that was the problem. M$ doesn't tell you that. I've seen it happen more than once, but this isn't the case. At first, I thought it was.

-- Xero Grid --

Chewie
04-13-2004, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Xero Grid@12 April 2004 - 19:43
You're right. It doesn't install. It'll say some crap about not being eligible for SP1, but it will slowly kill your system, if that was the problem. M$ doesn't tell you that. I've seen it happen more than once, but this isn't the case. At first, I thought it was.

I don't fully understand what you're saying here, but to clarify things...
On an XP installed using one of the keys that M$ was aware of, SP1/SP1a will not install and will not make any changes to the system.

tesco
04-13-2004, 11:48 PM
Try running system restore if you have it enabled, or try last known good configuration. if neither work then i think doing a repair install would be the easiest way to get your system working again.

insert your xp cd, then restart the computer, when it says press any key to boot from cd press any key, then continue through the pages until it asks if youd like to repair a current windows installation or create a new one and choose to repair.

repairing apears to be reinstalling windows completely but it actually leaves all your downloads and progams and games installed on your computer. some settings might be lost such as the icons on ur desktop and the order of stuff in ur startmenu, and you will also have to install any windows updates again from www.windowsupdate.com.

good luck.