PDA

View Full Version : Contant Fragging....

clocker
04-12-2004, 01:31 AM
(VB alert...this may belong in SoftwareWorld-your call.)

How often do you guys have to defrag?
I have noticed that just hours after a defrag run using Diskeeper, I have fragmentation beginning again.
This is with no new software installation or deletion...just some surfing.
I tried PerfectDisk, but results are the same.

Is there something I can do to slow down the fragmenting of my drive?

DWk
04-12-2004, 01:33 AM
Neg, it's natural with every operation your computer (or in this case, your OS) does.

I don't defrag at all mostly because I keep my pc in shape and format it....like every 3 months or something like that. :rolleyes:

4th gen
04-12-2004, 01:34 AM
I haven't defragged 6 of my partitions in months. I defragged my boot partition tonight for the first time in several weeks.

If you want to slow fragmentation, I suppose you could stop trying to create/move large files...

clocker
04-12-2004, 01:44 AM
I just finished a clean format/reinstall of XP Pro.
Before I made my Ghost image I ran Diskeeper.
Fine.

Several hours later, having done nothing with the machine, Diskeeper tells me that I have 163 fragmented files.
I haven't rebooted, downloaded, installed anything...basically it was just on.
Why the fragmentation?

zapjb
04-12-2004, 01:52 AM
Sorry clocker. I acknowledge you are very well versed in computers. First off, so don't get pissed.

The reason you're defragging or having to defrag all the time. Is that DisKeeper is a POS program. Get PerfectDisk (by Raxco) or O&O Defrag Pro. Then you'll know the truth.

Peace. :)

clocker
04-12-2004, 01:59 AM
No worries, Zap.
I have tried PerfectDisk with similar results...but to be fair that was months ago, so I'll try it again.

Virtualbody1234
04-12-2004, 02:44 AM
~160 files in a short time is about normal. Remember there are temporary internet cache files and just about anything your PC is doing is going to fragment your files. Don't worry about it so much and just defragment from time to time. Anywhere between weekly or monthly depending how much you use you computer should be adequite.

And oh, I like O&O Defrag.

@clocker, this is both hardware and software related so here is fine. :)

tesco
04-12-2004, 03:48 AM
Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@11 April 2004 - 21:44
~160 files in a short time is about normal. Remember there are temporary internet cache files and just about anything your PC is doing is going to fragment your files. Don't worry about it so much and just defragment from time to time. Anywhere between weekly or monthly depending how much you use you computer should be adequite.

And oh, I like O&O Defrag.

@clocker, this is both hardware and software related so here is fine. :)
damb you beat me to it. lol

yeah i was also gonna say that the files are probably your prefetch, your temp folder, and the most likely is the temporary internet files.

oh ya, and any programs that keep a log, or are contanstly changing a file and make teh file bigger willl be making it not fit into the designated space it is given by the defragmenting software, thus making it get fragmented because some of the info in it must be put somewhere else on the disk.

all this is normal, and the only time you should defragment is probably every few months, after installing a big game or program, and after a reinstall of windows. anything else you will most likely not see any improvement in perforamnce.

peat moss
04-12-2004, 06:18 AM
With Diskeeper Pro , I use the set it and forget it option runs evertime my screen saver comes on. :)

ck-uk
04-12-2004, 07:55 AM
i generally just shut everything down every 2 wks..ish n do it all with diskeeper.I tried powerdisk aswell.It seem'd to have problems fraggin' compressed files like mp3 etc

Skillian
04-12-2004, 02:59 PM
I may be wrong but perhaps using a fixed page file size would reduce fragmentation?

tesco
04-12-2004, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Skillian@12 April 2004 - 09:59
I may be wrong but perhaps using a fixed page file size would reduce fragmentation?
clocker doesnt have a page file :P

Storm
04-12-2004, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by clocker@12 April 2004 - 02:31
How often do you guys have to defrag?
hardly ever

NTFS uses space more efficiently than the old FAT, though defraggin can never really hurt ur comp........

atiVidia
04-12-2004, 05:08 PM
lol i defragged my comp a small while ago. it took 7 hrs but when it finished, i noticed improvements in everything, including my Aquamark scores lol (look at my sig)

tesco
04-12-2004, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by atiVidia@12 April 2004 - 12:08
lol i defragged my comp a small while ago. it took 7 hrs but when it finished, i noticed improvements in everything, including my Aquamark scores lol (look at my sig)
7 hours! are you using the windows defragmenter or diskeeper? cause with diskeeper it doesnt even take 7 hours on my old computer, takes about 15 on mine, 30 is longest its ever took...

atiVidia
04-12-2004, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004+12 April 2004 - 12:17--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ROSSCO_2004 @ 12 April 2004 - 12:17)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-atiVidia@12 April 2004 - 12:08
7 hours&#33; are you using the windows defragmenter or diskeeper? cause with diskeeper it doesnt even take 7 hours on my old computer, takes about 15 on mine, 30 is longest its ever took... [/b][/quote]
wha? u mean diskkeeper set a record? lol my disk was 37% fragged... maybe less than urs.