PDA

View Full Version : Irc Vs Bitorrent

silent VI
04-12-2004, 02:34 AM
i use Mirc just click. click. rightclick, and paste and the dl starts right away @ my max download speed. I hear everyone talking like bt is the shit so....... poll please?

4th gen
04-12-2004, 02:38 AM
My vote for IRC. Bitt is too insecure

RealitY
04-12-2004, 04:10 AM
I use both although generally BT is rather insecure compared to IRC unless your a member of a private community in which case BT can be better and easier to find stuff...

lee551
04-12-2004, 04:41 AM
totally for irc. bt is way to slow for me all the time, dunno why :huh:

AcID ZeR0
04-13-2004, 01:48 AM
BT / torrentz.com I never get any speed or connection problems with them, However I do with mIRC lol it should be the other way round I know.

daniboy
04-15-2004, 06:34 PM
i use bt cuz i have no ideaa how 2 use irc... like where 2 find files and stuff
ftp pubs r also good

vivitron 15
04-15-2004, 07:03 PM
not entirely sure how irc is that much safer? surely you still give out an ip?

and isnt irc a one-way system? never used it, but i always thought everyone dled one at a time, whereas bt you all pool bandwidth.

Benno
04-15-2004, 08:58 PM
I use both and I wouldnt place one above the other.

and isnt irc a one-way system? never used it, but i always thought everyone dled one at a time, whereas bt you all pool bandwidth.

Yeah, from IRC you donwload from bots or servers. But they are pretty fast :D

RealitY
04-15-2004, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by vivitron 15@15 April 2004 - 11:03
You've answered your own question...

Most leech on one IRC and yes its one at a time, whereas BT is pooled with just about anybody on large sites such as SuperNova especially.

4th gen
04-15-2004, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by vivitron 15@15 April 2004 - 18:03
Yes, you still give out an IP whilst on IRC, however, you're not giving your ip out to hundreds/thousands of users at a time. Also, how many people have you heard of who've been sued or sent letters from their ISPs from sharing through IRC? I've not heard of any, but I've heard of a few through Bitt

lightshow
04-15-2004, 10:56 PM
I use both irc [Mirc] and bittorent [Bittornado] and I have to say that I'm beginning to like bittorent better.

Mirc usually is there for the new releases and those who have the new releases are usually really fast and have lots of open slots.

But bittorent is a close second and the que's are gone so you can really start downloading anytime.

I start with irc and if i have to wait in a long que then I switch to bittorent. Otherwise I usually always check irc first.

Also with bittorent, games seem to stay longer (in my case I'm talking about ps2 rips) so I have a better chance to request a game than with irc where i have practically no say.

Overall, irc first, bittorent second

vivitron 15
04-16-2004, 11:20 AM
i suppose - but surely, in reality, youre just leeching from irc...its not file sharing, its file downloading...hmm, seems a bizarre concept to be on filesharingtalk.com, discussing leeching

(and yes, im playing devils advocate here - dont take this too seriously ;))

Mad Cat
04-16-2004, 12:08 PM
mIRC always has giant queues for me. No point for me really anyway, BT maxes my 60 kB/s easily. If I have about 300 kB/s down I'd be on IRC all the time, however.

Formula1
04-17-2004, 09:20 PM
IRC all the way , BT is probably the most overated p2p i've ever used (IMHO). My speed on BT maxes out to 20KB/s and on mIRC its 380 KB/s , and its pretty easy to use too. And on BT after downloading like 90% of the file i get a connected to tracker error, totally B$...

silent VI
04-17-2004, 09:21 PM
:huh: so i guess irc owns