PDA

View Full Version : How Can You Turn Off Dfrgfat.exe

GrubMe
04-12-2004, 08:45 PM
Hello if I leave my computer for atleast 20 minutes it starts auto-defragging my itself. I don't want it to auto defrag, Il defrag when I want to.

Windows XP 2002
HDD = FAT32
Proccess name: dfrgfat.exe

Thanks...

tesco
04-12-2004, 10:09 PM
do you have diskeeper? if u do then go to the set-it and forget-it settings and disable it. or if your using some other defragmenting program then you should find something similar that you will need to disable. the windows defragmenter doesnt have automatic settings that i know of...

GrubMe
04-12-2004, 10:35 PM
Im using the windows xp built in one...

Marius24
04-12-2004, 10:58 PM
start>control pannel>scheduled Tasks. Maybe it is in there? if it is, right click and delete it should solve your problem

atiVidia
04-12-2004, 11:11 PM
lol isnt auto-defrag a good thing? set it to happen in the middle of the night lol and that way ur comp will stay fast w/o urass being yanked off if you were to defrag manually.

GrubMe
04-13-2004, 12:18 AM
Well i dont leave my computer 24/7 i usually shut it down when I dont use it usually 3 - 5 times a day i turn it on .

Virtualbody1234
04-13-2004, 12:24 AM
This isn't about hardware. Windows XP is software.

Xero Grid
04-13-2004, 12:32 AM
A question.... Why would you be using FAT32 with XP instead of NTFS?
There are several key advantages.

You can also check what's in your startup registry as well as the scheduled tasks. If you don't want to enter the registry manually, RegSeeker (http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm) can help you out.

-- Xero Grid --

GrubMe
04-13-2004, 04:02 AM
why ntfs is better than fat32?

Xero Grid
04-13-2004, 07:30 AM
Advantages:
- You can handle large files better.
- You can handle files larger than 4 gigs, if you have to.
- It allows you to handle much bigger hand drives with much less lag.
- It doesn't allow the OS to write to bad sectors on the hard disk, so you have less of a chance for data corruption.
- It allows the user to use file system encryption. XP Professional allows you to encrypt files and/or directories for more security.
- It's more stable.

NTFS is also the default and simply allows for smoother usage of XP.

I think you can just change the file system with damage if you type this into a run dialog box
convert (specify drive) (specify filesystem)
But, I've never had to do it before

-- Xero Grid --