PDA

View Full Version : Sapphire Water

dwightfry
04-13-2004, 03:03 PM
http://www.nypost.com/business/18275.htm

I saw this stuff on Good Morning America this morning. It looks and acts exactly like water, but they stuck Charles Gibsons laptop in a tank full of the stuff and it continued running under water. They submerged a flatscreen TV airing GMA and it worked flawlessly. They put a book in the water, and a few minutes later it was completely dry with absolutly no water damage.

It would be fun to go swimming in. :rolleyes:

j2k4
04-13-2004, 03:24 PM
Sounds, um....refreshing. :huh:

Doesn't seem like it would be the next big thing on the laundry scene, though; of course, you'd save on towels, so there's a plus.... :P

Busyman
04-13-2004, 03:28 PM
I would like to know the effects when and if this stuff gets into the regular water supply.

j2k4
04-13-2004, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Busyman@13 April 2004 - 09:28
I would like to know the effects when and if this stuff gets into the regular water supply.
...which, if it is used for fire-suppression (as touted), will undoubtedly occur...

I think we need more info.

Sounds good for Tyco, though. ;)

MagicNakor
04-13-2004, 11:52 PM
It's unsafe to drink, although it supposedly evaporates quickly. I can't imagine that it could do much harm if it got into the water supply in small amounts, what with all the shit already in it.

:ninja:

j2k4
04-14-2004, 04:57 AM
Originally posted by MagicNakor@13 April 2004 - 17:52
It's unsafe to drink, although it supposedly evaporates quickly. I can't imagine that it could do much harm if it got into the water supply in small amounts, what with all the shit already in it.

True enough, MN, but even given the relatively advanced state of water treatment technology, how would one go about removing "unsafe to drink" water from real water?

How would being mixed with the real thing affect it's evaporative properties?

If it's specific gravity is the same....or is it?

Need to know more, I think.

MagicNakor
04-14-2004, 07:48 AM
I think it's more a mix of various chemicals that they just call water, probably something like that red fire powder.

Image Resized
[img]http://www.nps.gov/meve/fire/plane01.jpg' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'> ('http://www.nps.gov/meve/fire/plane01.jpg') is what I'm talking about. I can't remember what it's called.

As for advanced water treatments, I'm not really very informed on those. My water is *always* unsafe to drink, without boiling it for 3 minutes. ;) The government's health department is going to smack us with the big "Fix It" stick soon, because it's way below standards. I've heard things about reverse osmosis being able to remove 99% of chemicals from water (such as hormones and other by-products from human medication), so I would imagine that the same type of process would filter out whatever makes up the fake water.

j2k4
04-14-2004, 02:08 PM
Iimagine we'll find out in due course, eh? :)

J'Pol
04-14-2004, 05:46 PM
Are we suggesting that companies will put "water" in sprinkler system, which they themselves describe as "unsafe to drink" then spray it onto people.

They are going to do this in the USA, the most litigious place on the planet.

It's one thing to provide a product which is unsafe to drink. If the person then drinks it in spite of the warning then it is their own fault (tho' in the US one wonders).

However for a building owner, or employer spray it on people. It simply beggars belief.

dwightfry
04-14-2004, 05:49 PM
My suspicion is that they just didn't want people to drink entire glasses of the stuff. It probably makes you sick.

100%
04-14-2004, 05:59 PM
i love inew nventions

Evolution

yes

j2k4
04-14-2004, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by J'Pol@14 April 2004 - 11:46
Are we suggesting that companies will put "water" in sprinkler system, which they themselves describe as "unsafe to drink" then spray it onto people.

They are going to do this in the USA, the most litigious place on the planet.

It's one thing to provide a product which is unsafe to drink. If the person then drinks it in spite of the warning then it is their own fault (tho' in the US one wonders).

However for a building owner, or employer spray it on people. It simply beggars belief.
And that is probably how we'll find out.

It's the American way. :D