PDA

View Full Version : Is There Someone

J'Pol
04-13-2004, 08:19 PM
Who if you were to lose them unexpectedly, you would give anything to have them back for a wee while. You would give anything just to let them know how you feel.

If you haven't spoken to that person for a while, then why not do it. Pop round and see your Gran for half an hour, or phone her and just say hello, how you doin'. It will only take you a couple of minutes and will make her feel great. Don't do it during her fave TV prog tho'.

This goes for the older amongst us as well, phone your Auntie Nelly or pop in to see Uncle Wullie on the way home.

There will come a day you will wish you were able to do it.

Gemby!
04-13-2004, 08:24 PM
i just came back from seeing my family ova the long weekend :) and i done all of that - so that saves me a phone call :D

fred devliegher
04-13-2004, 08:25 PM
Who if you were to lose them unexpectedly, you would give anything to have them back for a wee while. You would give anything just to let them know how you feel.

That person has just turned 19, and she doesn't speak to me anymore.

Anyway, great advice. I wish I realized this before my grandfather died - though I am spending more time with the grandparents now.

Any particular reason for this deep insight ?

J'Pol
04-13-2004, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by fred devliegher@13 April 2004 - 21:25

That person has just turned 19, and she doesn't speak to me anymore.

Anyway, great advice. I wish I realized this before my grandfather died - though I am spending more time with the grandparents now.

Any particular reason for this deep insight ?
No reason at all, it just occurred and I thought I would post it.

It is perhaps the best piece of advice people will ever get. They just don't realise it until it is too late to take it.

thewizeard
04-13-2004, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by J'Pol@13 April 2004 - 20:28

It is perhaps the best piece of advice people will ever get. They just don't realise it until it is too late to take it.
Indeed it is J'Pol...the very best.

Marius24
04-13-2004, 08:41 PM
a great topic J'pol :)

If i could spend time with someone it would be my grandma who died about 8 months ago. Even if it was just a phone call :'(

bujub22
04-13-2004, 08:42 PM
:( all that cost money that i don't want to spend on ppl i don't want to see or talk too! ;)

thewizeard
04-13-2004, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by bujub22@13 April 2004 - 20:42
:( all that cost money that i don't want to spend on ppl i don't want to see or talk too! ;)
...what with the price of stuff and all that... ;)

JONNO_CELEBS
04-13-2004, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by J'Pol@13 April 2004 - 20:19
or phone her and just say hello, how you doin'.
<_< My line <_< :P

Good post JP, I&#39;ve lost some friends and loved ones and I never got the chance to say goodbye, something I will carry as a weight on my shoulders for the rest of my life.

Jonno B)

J'Pol
04-13-2004, 09:06 PM
To the chaps who have lost people and wish they had spent the time with them. Or could spend some time with them now.

We surely learn by these mistakes and we will not let it happen again. Make the call or the flying visit to those you have left. It will make you both happy, in fact it might make others happy as well, who knows.

In fact, why not do it as a tribute to the absent friends. It may ease some of the pain you have that you cannot tell them how you feel or spend just an extra hour with them.

To the chaps who have not lost someone yet, learn from our mistakes not your own. One day your gran will not be here and you will wish you could just pop in on the way home. So do it while you still can, it will make her day and it only needs to be a small part of yours.

brotherdoobie
04-13-2004, 09:37 PM
Sometimes it seems like we have all the time in the world.
We advoid telling those that we love how much they mean to us,
Taking for granted that they will be here forever.

However it&#39;s never too late as J&#39;Pols&#39; post has remined me
today :)

Peace brotherdoobie

Skweeky
04-13-2004, 09:42 PM
Nice post

Before I left Belgium I told everyone the things I always wanted to say to them.
And I tell Marc every single day how much I love him...

Cheesy or what??? :lol:

JONNO_CELEBS
04-13-2004, 09:47 PM
@Swkeeks........No........it&#39;s not :)

@Everyone.....Baz is listening to this song that was dedicated to a friend of his mums who passed away not long ago, I think it suits here :)

KENNY CHESNEY LYRICS

"A Lot Of Things Different"

I&#39;d spend a lot more time in the pouring rain without an umbrella
Covering my head
And I&#39;d stood up to that bully when he pushed and called me names
But I was too afraid
And I&#39;d a gone on and saw Elvis that night he came to town
But mama said I couldn&#39;t
And I&#39;d a went skinny dipping with Jenny Carson that time she dared me to
But I didn&#39;t

Oh I, I&#39;d done a lot of things different

I wished I&#39;d a spent more time with my dad when he was alive
Now I don&#39;t have the chance
I wish I had told my brother how much I loved him before he went off to war
But I just shook his hand
And I wish I had gone to church on Sunday morning when my grandma begged me too
But I was afraid of God
And I wish I would&#39;ve listened when they said Boy, you&#39;re gonna wish you hadn&#39;t
But I wouldn&#39;t

People say they wouldn&#39;t change a thing, even if they could
Oh but I would

There was this red dress she wanted one time so bad she could taste it
And I should&#39;ve bought it, but I didn&#39;t
She wanted to paint our bedroom yellow and trim it blues and greens
But I wouldn&#39;t let her, wouldn&#39;t a hurt nuthin
She loved to be held and kissed and touched but I didn&#39;t do it
Not nearly enough
And if I&#39;d a known that dance was going to be our last dance
I&#39;d a asked that band to play on and on on and on

People say they wouldn&#39;t change a thing, even if they could
Oh but I would
Oh whoa Oh I, I&#39;d done a lot of things different
Oh I, I&#39;d done a lot of things
I think we&#39;ve all do a lot of things different

Jonno B)

J'Pol
04-13-2004, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Skweeky@13 April 2004 - 22:42
Nice post

Before I left Belgium I told everyone the things I always wanted to say to them.
And I tell Marc every single day how much I love him...

Cheesy or what??? :lol:
Cheesy as feck, but also fan-tastic.

J'Pol
04-13-2004, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by brotherdoobie@13 April 2004 - 22:37
Sometimes it seems like we have all the time in the world.
We advoid telling those that we love how much they mean to us,
Taking for granted that they will be here forever.

That is so true.

To the younger chaps. We are not suggesting that you need to go and be all gushy and tell people how much you love them. If you make the call, or do the visit they will know.

J'Pol
04-13-2004, 09:54 PM
Jonno

Nice one

Carpe Diem.

JONNO_CELEBS
04-13-2004, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by J&#39;Pol@13 April 2004 - 21:54

Carpe Diem.
:ph34r: I have no idea what that means :ph34r:

But thanks :)

Jonno B)

J'Pol
04-13-2004, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by JONNO_CELEBS+13 April 2004 - 23:01--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JONNO_CELEBS @ 13 April 2004 - 23:01)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-J&#39;Pol@13 April 2004 - 21:54

Carpe Diem.

Jonno B) [/b][/quote]
Seize the Day, mate.

It means don&#39;t let time pass you by, grab what time you have and do things with it. Life is not a spectator sport or a dress rehearsal, it is to be lived.

Part of that is not waiting till tomorrow to speak to your loved one&#39;s. Cos one day it will not be an option.

brotherdoobie
04-13-2004, 10:31 PM
It means seize the moment without regards for the future.
How funny it was used in this post J&#39;Pol ;)

Peace brotherdoobie

brotherdoobie
04-13-2004, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by J&#39;Pol+13 April 2004 - 17:30--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (J&#39;Pol @ 13 April 2004 - 17:30)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by JONNO_CELEBS@13 April 2004 - 23:01
<!--QuoteBegin-J&#39;Pol@13 April 2004 - 21:54

Carpe Diem.

Jonno B)
Seize the Day, mate.

It means don&#39;t let time pass you by, grab what time you have and do things with it. Life is not a spectator sport or a dress rehearsal, it is to be lived.

Part of that is not waiting till tomorrow to speak to your loved one&#39;s. Cos one day it will not be an option. [/b][/quote]
Thanks for clearing that up J&#39;Pol.
and point well taken.

Wise words to live by.

Peace brotherdoobie

J'Pol
04-13-2004, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by brotherdoobie@13 April 2004 - 23:31
It means seize the moment without regards for the future.
How funny it was used in this post J&#39;Pol ;)

Peace brotherdoobie
Part of seizing the moment is that it may never be available again. So you have to grab each opportunity while it is there.

I think that includes accepting that one day people will not be here, so we have to seize the moments when they are.

The saddest thing a man can think is "what might have been".

Tho&#39; I do see the irony and thanks for pointing it out mate. :)

J'Pol
04-13-2004, 10:37 PM
Crossed posts :)

DWells55
04-13-2004, 10:46 PM
Very true words in this thread. I wish I&#39;d spent more time with my cousin before he died a few months ago. It was just so unexpected... he was only 31. So treasure the time you spend with people, and make sure thye know how much you care about them.

JONNO_CELEBS
04-13-2004, 11:50 PM
How do you know what to seize? I thought I knew, people got hurt, I got hurt.

Sometimes that chance you take is a shit one, and sometimes you bottle out from taking that chance, I wish I had the bottle I did 5 years ago, some things would be different :)

Jonno B)

100%
04-14-2004, 12:13 AM
a very necessary post jpol
wakes u up

silent VI
04-14-2004, 12:53 AM

it&#39;s called a prayer, and you don&#39;t have to give up anything materialistic to do it&#33;&#33;&#33;

j2k4
04-14-2004, 05:48 AM
As usual, JP, you remind us all of the most important things.

My Mother was always on me to never forget a kindness, always respond to greeting cards, etc., in short, remember who and what is important.

I&#39;m still learning the nuances of the lesson, but in the last couple of years, I&#39;ve had perhaps three different things (terrible things, at that) occur which indicated the folly of failing to say the prayer that you don&#39;t forget people and what they mean to you, and, not least of all, what you mean to others.

This last is cause for much grief in this world; the failure to recognize one&#39;s own worth to others very often leads to a lack of respect for the value of the most basic relationships between people.

Ah, shit.

My keyboard is getting wet, here.

J'Pol
04-14-2004, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by j2k4@14 April 2004 - 06:48
.... not least of all, what you mean to others.

This last is cause for much grief in this world; the failure to recognize one&#39;s own worth to others very often leads to a lack of respect for the value of the most basic relationships between people.

It&#39;s A Wonderful Life.

http://www.frontrowcollectibles.com/images/Classic%20Movies/Its_a_Wonderfull_Life.JPG

brenda
04-14-2004, 09:58 AM
i always try to let my friends know how much they mean to me, i used to find it really hard to do because of the way i was brought up and because i have a fear of rejection, but i made myself to do it and now it comes naturally, i can tell my freinds that i love them and i can allow them to love me back (although i still find this bit hard)

love u jazzthefunk :D

Gemby!
04-14-2004, 11:10 PM
i&#39;ve never lost anyone close to me so i dont know what its gonna be like when someone does finally go.

i really am dreading the day anyone i love goes and i really hope it isn&#39;t soon

j2k4
04-15-2004, 04:36 AM
Originally posted by gemby&#33;@14 April 2004 - 17:10
i&#39;ve never lost anyone close to me so i dont know what its gonna be like when someone does finally go.

i really am dreading the day anyone i love goes and i really hope it isn&#39;t soon
I don&#39;t think it&#39;s something you can ever get used to, Gemby.

I have my own faith, but apart from the shock of such events, I still have such a tremendous and horrible sense of loss and anger.

I don&#39;t deal with such things as well as others seem to, and I don&#39;t really know why.

Skweeky
04-15-2004, 12:05 PM
That&#39;s true, you don&#39;t get used to it...

My parents were quite old when they got me (my mum was 41, my dad 55). My dad died when I was 14. We didn&#39;t get along at all but now I regret the things I never was able to tell him(mind you, they&#39;re aren&#39;t all nice things).
It&#39;s scary...My mum is 62 now, my eldest brother will be 40 this year. Everyone I love is a lot older than me...