PDA

View Full Version : Best Internet Explorer? Getting Rid Of Ie.

dmorgan89
04-13-2004, 11:43 PM
Ok I'm sure this question has been asked a million times, but I did a search and came up with nothing.

I want to know what's the best Internet Explorer is. Things i'm looking for: Great look, popup & blockers. Anything that is an awesome replacement for Microsoft's IE.

Also can I completely remove IE. It's gonna really suck when i get a new explorer but things still popup in microsoft's ie. I want to have a new explorer and it fully replac microsoft's IE.

Robert00000
04-13-2004, 11:47 PM
The term your looking for is BROWSER, Internet Explorer is Microsoft's version of a browser.

The one i use is OPERA, its much quicker and has a better interface.

IE wont affect your browsing with another browser, you do not need to lauch IE to browse the web, just launch the one you want to use.

4th gen
04-13-2004, 11:49 PM
Mozilla Firefox would be what I'd recommend. You should try out a number of different browsers (such as firefox, myIE2, opera etc) and keep the one you like best

dmorgan89
04-13-2004, 11:54 PM
IE wont affect your browsing with another browser, you do not need to lauch IE to browse the web, just launch the one you want to use.

i have no experience with browsers other than ie except for msn explorer. when i got msn explorer it looked cool and i was able to surf the internet but anykind of pop up didn't come up in msn explorer, it came up in ie. now that was a long time ago and things are probably different now. but thats what i wanted to know.. if this new browser will do everything. pop ups and all.

tesco
04-14-2004, 12:01 AM
download firefox from here. (http://texturizer.net/firefox/download.html) its my new favorite browser, and ive been using it for 3 days now lol. when you start it for the first time it will ask if you would like for it to be the default browser, click and then link etc that you click will automatically open with firefox instead of internet explorer, no need to remove it...

firefox has everything you wanted: popupblocker, replacement for ie, and it looks cool cause you can get skins for it to make it look how you want.

ahctlucabbuS
04-14-2004, 12:03 AM
I tried mozilla briefly, and it seems to work fine for blocking pop ups. Tried the swedish muppet chef version (dont ask) of opera some time ago and it was ok. Donīt know about the new version... just download and check it out.

dmorgan89
04-14-2004, 12:50 AM
i keep getting this error while trying to start a browser with mozilla. this is with it already installed.

Alert: Error launching browser window: no XBL binding for browser

anyone know what this is?

4th gen
04-14-2004, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by dmorgan89@13 April 2004 - 23:50
i keep getting this error while trying to start a browser with mozilla. this is with it already installed.

Alert: Error launching browser window: no XBL binding for browser

anyone know what this is?
http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/re...extensions.html (http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/releases/fix-extensions.html)

supersonic
04-14-2004, 01:04 AM
Removing IE (Aka Internet Explorer)
Start>Setting>Control panel>Ad remove programs>ad remove windows components>Uncheck the Internet explorer box>next.
the procedre above only applies 2 windows XP and it's similar ..
do it @ ur own risk.

100%
04-14-2004, 01:07 AM
OneWord

Firefox

;)

Samurai
04-14-2004, 01:10 AM
Mozilla Firefox B)

dmorgan89
04-14-2004, 02:05 AM
i tried the extension fix but now mozilla won't open at all. when i click on it nothing happens now. i've tried to see if was in my resourses by cltr alt delete but found nothing. i'm uninstalled and try reinstalling and i get nothing. not even the error now. i've tried restarting. any other suggestions?

also when i try to rename the "chrome" folder to "chrome-backup" it just makes another "chrome" folder whenever i click on the mozilla executable.

tesco
04-14-2004, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by dmorgan89@13 April 2004 - 21:05
i tried the extension fix but now mozilla won't open at all. when i click on it nothing happens now. i've tried to see if was in my resourses by cltr alt delete but found nothing. i'm uninstalled and try reinstalling and i get nothing. not even the error now. i've tried restarting. any other suggestions?

also when i try to rename the "chrome" folder to "chrome-backup" it just makes another "chrome" folder whenever i click on the mozilla executable.
try firefox...if thats not what ur already using that is...

dmorgan89
04-14-2004, 02:20 AM
yeah firefox is the one i'm now having problems with. when it was running it was great. exactly what i wanted, but i can't get it to work right. i'm still trying though. any suggestions anyone?

Mr. Blunt
04-14-2004, 03:24 AM
Originally posted by dmorgan89@13 April 2004 - 15:43
Also can I completely remove IE. It's gonna really suck when i get a new explorer but things still popup in microsoft's ie. I want to have a new explorer and it fully replac microsoft's IE.
I would just leave IE installed like everyone else suggested.

Some programs require IE to be installed. Uninstalling it can fuck with your computer.

Xero Grid
04-14-2004, 03:55 AM
1) You can't uninstall IE through Windows. It will only hide some of the files. You an external program to do so, but it is HIGHLY recommended against doing it. Many programs do rely on it, including some browers.

2) Firefox and Mozilla are excellent, but if you're having trouble, maybe you should try something similar to IE, works on it's core, and has all the features you're looking for. MyIE2 (http://www.myie2.com)

3) You don't neccesarily need a pop-up blocker. You can use something that already within Windows to help you, the HOSTS file among other things. This may help, if you're interested. (http://filesharingtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=107782)

-- Xero Grid --

clocker
04-14-2004, 08:07 PM
I have run all the above mentioned browsers and am currently using MyIE2.

It has all the features (popup block, tabs, etc.)that I like AND you can access Windows Update with it ( you can't with Mozilla).

4th gen
04-14-2004, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by clocker@14 April 2004 - 19:07
I have run all the above mentioned browsers and am currently using MyIE2.

It has all the features (popup block, tabs, etc.)that I like AND you can access Windows Update with it ( you can't with Mozilla).
myIE2 works on the IE core, so it's as inherently insecure as IE is :lol:

You may not be able to access the Windows Update page directly with mozilla, but you can still download updates from the developers site

clocker
04-14-2004, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by 4th gen@14 April 2004 - 14:09

myIE2 works on the IE core, so it's as inherently insecure as IE is :lol:

True, true.

Security has yet to be an issue for me and the fact is that every website on the net has been designed/optimized for IE.
MyIE2 is very easy to setup and configure ( Mozilla isn't that hard but there is a learning curve), and the tabbed browsing is great.

4th gen
04-14-2004, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by clocker@14 April 2004 - 22:19
True, true.

Security has yet to be an issue for me and the fact is that every website on the net has been designed/optimized for IE.
MyIE2 is very easy to setup and configure ( Mozilla isn't that hard but there is a learning curve), and the tabbed browsing is great.
I'm sorry, but I must have missed the learning curve...what is it?
Mozilla firefox also features tabbed browsing :)

tesco
04-15-2004, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by 4th gen+14 April 2004 - 18:23--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (4th gen &#064; 14 April 2004 - 18:23)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-clocker@14 April 2004 - 22:19
True, true.

MyIE2 is very easy to setup and configure ( Mozilla isn&#39;t that hard but there is a learning curve), and the tabbed browsing is great.
I&#39;m sorry, but I must have missed the learning curve...what is it?
Mozilla firefox also features tabbed browsing :) [/b][/quote]
ya, i agree. ive been using firefox for abour 4 days now, and i find that it runs almost exactly as ie does. and you can have tabbed browsing which i find very very handy.

edit: takes a bit of getting used to how pages appear onto the screen as they are downloaded and u can keep scrolling down more of the page as it loads if youve got slow internet. but if u go back to internet explorer it seems like ie takes forever to load pages because it waits for teh whole page to download before displaying anything.

lol i bet noone understands what im talking about lol so ill just shutup now :(

gungrave
04-15-2004, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004+15 April 2004 - 02:09--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ROSSCO_2004 @ 15 April 2004 - 02:09)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by 4th gen@14 April 2004 - 18:23
<!--QuoteBegin-clocker@14 April 2004 - 22:19
True, true.

MyIE2 is very easy to setup and configure ( Mozilla isn&#39;t that hard but there is a learning curve), and the tabbed browsing is great.
ya, i agree. ive been using firefox for abour 4 days now, and i find that it runs almost exactly as ie does. and you can have tabbed browsing which i find very very handy.

edit: takes a bit of getting used to how pages appear onto the screen as they are downloaded and u can keep scrolling down more of the page as it loads if youve got slow internet. but if u go back to internet explorer it seems like ie takes forever to load pages because it waits for teh whole page to download before displaying anything.

lol i bet noone understands what im talking about lol so ill just shutup now :( [/b][/quote]
i get ya.
cos when i was at my cousins hes got it and it loads stuff 1 by one insted of the page like u said.
but IE is easyer and im use to it so im sticking :P

tesco
04-15-2004, 02:49 AM
Originally posted by gungrave+14 April 2004 - 21:43--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (gungrave @ 14 April 2004 - 21:43)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@15 April 2004 - 02:09

Originally posted by 4th gen@14 April 2004 - 18:23
<!--QuoteBegin-clocker@14 April 2004 - 22:19
True, true.

lol i bet noone understands what im talking about lol so ill just shutup now :(
i get ya.
cos when i was at my cousins hes got it and it loads stuff 1 by one insted of the page like u said.
but IE is easyer and im use to it so im sticking :P [/b][/quote]
i cant find anything thats &#39;easier&#39; in ie than in firefox, but whatever flots your boat :lol: (got that from kaiweiler lol)

h1
04-15-2004, 03:31 AM
:lol: Lynx all the way. :)

hiloman67
04-20-2004, 12:04 AM
Firefox. ;)

ninjamonkey
07-24-2004, 12:40 AM
I know this thread is really old, but i have to ask, how cna mozilla not get to the windows update page? Is there some feature in IE i am missing?

dopey
07-24-2004, 12:46 AM
This is the message i get when going to the update page. ;)

Thank you for your interest in Windows Update

Windows Update is the online extension of Windows that helps you get the most out of your computer.

You need to be running a version of Internet Explorer 5 or higher in order to use Windows Update.

Download the latest version of Internet Explorer

Once Internet Explorer is installed, you can go to the Windows Update site by typing http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com into the address bar of Internet Explorer.

If you prefer to use a different Web browser, updates to Windows may be downloaded from the Microsoft Download Center.

ninjamonkey
07-24-2004, 01:03 AM
Ah, I see. That makes sense now.

tesco
07-24-2004, 01:32 AM
cause windows update only instralls into internet explorer.

can&#39;t integrate with other browsers.

shn
07-24-2004, 03:24 AM
Windows update sucks anyway. Either install the updates manually from downloads.microsoft.com or enable the autmoatic update feature and have it retrieve the updates for you.

sparsely
07-24-2004, 04:06 AM
Originally posted by clocker@14 April 2004 - 18:20
*snip*
the fact is that every website on the net has been designed/optimized for IE.

umm.
no.
just
no.

any web designer with any sense will design sites according to w3c standards, using all the css hacks & javascript to compensate for IE&#39;s stupidity.

*and the reason other browsers can&#39;t use Windows Update is because
a. Microsoft is evil
b. Mozilla doesn&#39;t install Active X controls (needed for updates from the website)