PDA

View Full Version : Tv As Monitor

shoutman
04-14-2004, 08:43 AM
Hey,
how do i connect my tv to my computer so i can use my tv as a monitor?

Mad Cat
04-14-2004, 09:33 AM
You'll need an s-video lead and plug that from the back of your PC's graphics card into the back (or front) of the TV. Make the TV receive from whatever intstead of the aerial, and you're off.

It will never look as good as the picture you get on a monitor does. TVs aren't made for stuff like that. Movies from PC to TV are very nice though.

3RA1N1AC
04-14-2004, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Mad Cat@14 April 2004 - 01:33
It will never look as good as the picture you get on a monitor does. TVs aren't made for stuff like that. Movies from PC to TV are very nice though.
um... you oughta qualify that with "traditional TVs" or something. :huh:

if you can get your computer connected to an HDTV by DVI, VGA, or by a VGA-to-component (progressive scan) transcoder, it should look fantastic and the text should be perfectly readable. certain ATI cards (and maybe some Nvidia cards?) are capable of creating HDTV-compliant signals (480p, 720p and 1080i) with the use of a simple adapter. the display quality/resolution is far superior to s-video.

http://www.ati.com/products/hdtvadapter/

this should work with a broader range of graphics cards.
http://www.audioauthority.com/aacconsumers/9a60detc.html

but yes... on a standard-resolution TV, movies and games look fine. but don't count on using it as a PC monitor for anything involving fine text, unless you're willing to mess around with the resolution & font sizes and make compromises in order to make the text readable. if you've got a standard-resolution TV, you'll want to get a graphics card that includes an s-video (aka s-vhs) or RCA composite output. ATI's cards usually have an s-video to RCA adapter for really old-fashioned TVs, as well.

if you don't need high-end 3D graphics, ATI's Radeon 7000 or Nvidia's Geforce 2 series will do the job for a very low price. if you need HDTV support, it'll cost quite a bit more to make a proper connection.

shoutman
04-14-2004, 11:59 AM
i just wanna use it to watch movies on

Mad Cat
04-14-2004, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by 3RA1N1AC+14 April 2004 - 11:23--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (3RA1N1AC @ 14 April 2004 - 11:23)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Mad Cat@14 April 2004 - 01:33
It will never look as good as the picture you get on a monitor does. TVs aren&#39;t made for stuff like that. Movies from PC to TV are very nice though.
um... you oughta qualify that with "traditional TVs" or something. :huh: [/b][/quote]
I&#39;ll defend myself by saying if you want to talk about HDTVs, you call them HDTVs, and LCD TVs are LCD TVs.

3RA1N1AC
04-14-2004, 01:30 PM
WUT?