PDA

View Full Version : Gigabyte 3d Cooler

clocker
04-14-2004, 11:26 PM
Anyone here have any direct, first-hand experience with this heatsinK?

Looking at it today I was intrigued by the design and the universiality of the mounting system appeals.

I've read several web reviews and the results are all over the map- some like it, some don't.

I know from my experience with the Zalman 7000cu that reviews and real, at-home results are sometimes very different.
So...anybody?

kaiweiler
04-14-2004, 11:36 PM
Yup! I have one cooling my athlon 2500+ right now
my temps are decent, nothing spectacular, but my cpu is about 45 under load
keep in mind that is oc'ed to 2300Mhz (210x11) with a vcore of 1.675
that is also on lowest settings, 2000rpm
it is actually really quiet on 2000 rpm, but on anything over 3000rpm it gets quite loud....
the nice thing about it though is it is one of the few coolers that can actually cool on low settings
It is nice to look at for sure! maybe not the number 1 preformer on the market, but it is definatly not bad at all.
scottwile also has this cooler, and his temps are 31 idle (2000rpm), not sure under load, but that is for a 2800+ stock speeds

FlyingDutchman
04-14-2004, 11:43 PM
Seeing a cooler like that, I feel an almost irresistable urge to mod it. :rolleyes:

Now what if:

You removed the fan,
Mounted a hose to the top of the cooler,
And sucked air through the cooler to be dumped outside the case?

Is there any cooler I can leave alone? :ph34r:

kaiweiler
04-14-2004, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by FlyingDutchman@14 April 2004 - 19:43
Seeing a cooler like that, I feel an almost irresistable urge to mod it. :rolleyes:

Now what if:

You removed the fan,
Mounted a hose to the top of the cooler,
And sucked air through the cooler to be dumped outside the case?

Is there any cooler I can leave alone? :ph34r:
I believe the fan would be quite difficult to remove, but it may be worth a try

oh and another thing about it that is nice is that it blows cool air through the aluminum fins in the side and cools surrounding components as well :)
although clocker, i have also heard good things about the aeroflow 2, and the jet 7
not sure how they compare to this one though...

clocker
04-14-2004, 11:49 PM
Thanks K.

Dutchman,
I was actually thinking the very same thing, but in reverse...running a duct to feed it fresh air.
Seems like it might require a hellacious fan to suck air through the sink and out of the case....

scottwile
04-14-2004, 11:53 PM
great heatsink if it works, as kaiweiler said i have it. i'm usually around 37 underload and 31 idle. again with a 2800+ at standard speed. Problem is gigabyte are f`cking stupid. When i got it all installed it worked great except for the fan speed controller that comes with it didn't work it just stayed on 4000 rpm :angry: . so i got looking at it. The dumb f`cks put 2 of the 3 wires backwards. so i switch then and soldered them (sp?) and it works alright now :01: but runs at 2000 rpm on 4000 rmp and the other way around.
looks great in the case 2, very bright blue LED.
:beerchug:

FlyingDutchman
04-14-2004, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by clocker@14 April 2004 - 23:49
Thanks K.

Dutchman,
I was actually thinking the very same thing, but in reverse...running a duct to feed it fresh air.
Seems like it might require a hellacious fan to such air through and out of the case....
Not THAT powerful.

Think of all the hot air that can be removed from the case without it polluting the case with heat.
Thus the case will stay cooler, and
thus there is a good supply of pretty cool air in the case already.

kaiweiler
04-14-2004, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by clocker@14 April 2004 - 19:49
Thanks K.

Dutchman,
Seems like it might require a hellacious fan to such air through and out of the case....
np, if theres anythin you wanna know about it just ask, ie temps, rpms, anything like that
oh and how would you make the duct? would you buy ducting or what would you make it out of? clear would be the best looking in my case i think...any way to make a good clear duct?

clocker
04-15-2004, 12:12 AM
K.

Are the fans held into the center from the top of the heatsink?
In other words...can the guts be pulled out from the top?
If so, how is that assembly mounted?

FlyingDutchman
04-15-2004, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by kaiweiler@14 April 2004 - 23:55
...... what would you make it out of? clear would be the best looking in my case i think...any way to make a good clear duct?
You could make an acrylic duct.

Here an acrylic duct:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/files/images/desk_pc/CaseUnAssembledRight.jpg

(Pic from SilentPCreview.com)

tesco
04-15-2004, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by FlyingDutchman+14 April 2004 - 19:12--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (FlyingDutchman @ 14 April 2004 - 19:12)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-kaiweiler@14 April 2004 - 23:55
...... what would you make it out of? clear would be the best looking in my case i think...any way to make a good clear duct?
You could make an acrylic duct.

Here an acrylic duct:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/files/images/desk_pc/CaseUnAssembledRight.jpg

(Pic from SilentPCreview.com) [/b][/quote]
i like that case design, its actually in a desk it looks cool. that is the one that i thought was yours, flyingdutchman.

kaiweiler
04-15-2004, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by clocker@14 April 2004 - 20:12
K.

Are the fans held into the center from the top of the heatsink?
In other words...can the guts be pulled out from the top?
If so, how is that assembly mounted?
Alright, I wasn&#39;t sure of this so I shut off my comp and played around a bit.
The very top clear plastic "grill" is easily removable
Below that is the circuit board, which is also easily removable (can slide off the top once clear grill is removed, wires still attatched to circuit board)
However, the main fan in the middle is attatched through the bottom somehow and it is near impossible to see how, I&#39;m sure it could come out, just not easily for sure....

clocker
04-15-2004, 12:29 AM
Hmmmm....
I was hoping that there might be an easy way to mount a duct assembly of some sort to the top of the HS.....

I was looking at the cooler in a store and it was in the package so it was hard to see details.

FlyingDutchman
04-15-2004, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by kaiweiler@15 April 2004 - 00:25
However, the main fan in the middle is attatched through the bottom somehow and it is near impossible to see how, I&#39;m sure it could come out, just not easily for sure....
Nothing a Dremel can&#39;t cope with..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

@ Rossco: How do you sell a "PC in a desk" ? :ph34r:

Nah, I like my PC in a more normal case.

kaiweiler
04-15-2004, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by clocker@14 April 2004 - 20:29
Hmmmm....
I was hoping that there might be an easy way to mount a duct assembly of some sort to the top of the HS.....

I was looking at the cooler in a store and it was in the package so it was hard to see details.
I may disassemble mine soon and see how hard it would be to get that fan out. Maybe if you took the entire top off, from the fins and up, leaving just the copper plate at the bottom, maybe the fan would slide out that way...
the reason I don&#39;t do it now is because scottwile has all my arctic silver 5 so I wouldn&#39;t be able to put it back on till tomorow and I need it tonight
but I&#39;ll probably play around with it tomorow (even though it is my b-day, i have no friends for a party :lol: so I&#39;ll sit at home and mod...) :P

clocker
04-15-2004, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by FlyingDutchman@14 April 2004 - 18:30

Coincidentally, I have been working with a client on just such a thing...very different in detail, but the concept of having the PC ( in his case- 3 PCs&#33;) incorporated into the structure of the desk itself is the same.
Very interesting design exercize...

tesco
04-15-2004, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by FlyingDutchman@14 April 2004 - 19:30
who said anything about selling it? anyway, i would imagine he woud just remove the parts and put them in a case or sell them seperately?

tesco
04-15-2004, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by clocker+14 April 2004 - 19:37--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker @ 14 April 2004 - 19:37)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-FlyingDutchman@14 April 2004 - 18:30

@ Rossco:&nbsp; How do you sell a "PC in a desk" ?&nbsp; &nbsp; :ph34r:

Coincidentally, I have been working with a client on just such a thing...very different in detail, but the concept of having the PC ( in his case- 3 PCs&#33;) incorporated into the structure of the desk itself is the same.
Very interesting design exercize... [/b][/quote]
thats pretty cool, my friend tried to do that with a server case, it has a 486 motherboard, a k6-2 500mhz mobo, an a 800mhz duron mobo in the one case, but he couldnt figure out how to get the i/o ports to be on teh back, so instead u have to reach into teh case from behind to plug in the wires.

clocker
04-15-2004, 12:45 AM
K,
Look at this duct.... (http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=288578)made from jewel cases.

Happy birthday.
I&#39;ll bring cake and Kool-Ade to the forum tomorrow.
Any requests?

tesco
04-15-2004, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by clocker@14 April 2004 - 19:45
K,
Look at this duct.... (http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=288578)made from jewel cases.

Happy birthday.
Any requests?
I bring the :pizza: :D

:holiday: party&#33; drinks all round&#33; :beerchug:

kaiweiler
04-15-2004, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by clocker@14 April 2004 - 20:45
K,

Happy birthday.
Any requests?
wow, I&#39;m actually give that a shot tomorow....thanks&#33;

and as for the cake, you can choose&#33; I trust your wisdom, if you choose cake anything like you mod cases, I&#39;ll be a happy guy :lol:

kaiweiler
04-15-2004, 01:04 AM
oh and a question about the duct...
does a duct still work efficiently with a 90 degree angle in it? like if the duct goes up and then turns directly to one side and out the back? or does it have to be a smooth ride all the way through?
with a 90 degree angle in it would the air just stop at the bend and flow back to my heatsink?

clocker
04-15-2004, 01:10 AM
How about chocolate....goes well with dark rum I think.

The 90 deg. bend will kill you.
Very inefficient and detrimental to good airflow.
You trying to run this out the back?

I was thinking of going right out the sidepanel....

BTW, I noticed that the Gigabyte has 4 blue LEDs on the top...if I get this sink I&#39;ll never hear the end of it from Abu...

tesco
04-15-2004, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by clocker@14 April 2004 - 20:10
BTW, I noticed that the Gigabyte has 4 blue LEDs on the top...if I get this sink I&#39;ll never hear the end of it from Abu...
:lol:

i like leds, wanna send them to me after u mod the heatsync to remove the leds?

kaiweiler
04-15-2004, 01:16 AM
yes that&#39;s what i figured with the 90 degree...
the only problem is I have an 80mm hole in my side panel but it is in the exact middle of my front panel, whereas my CPU is in upp right, so it would block my entire window, and still have to have some type of curve in it...just thought it&#39;d be easier going out the back if possible...
lol yes it has 4 blue LED&#39;s but I think it looks quite nice....
abu doesnt like LED&#39;s?? or was he the one saying just blue LED&#39;s because they were too mainstream....that was someone, not sure if it was him or not
anyway, any suggestions on where to run the duct? i have the enermax 3051 case, seen here (http://www.enermax.com.tw/cs-3051.htm) (silver)

clocker
04-15-2004, 01:28 AM
How much room is there between the top of the sink and the sidepanel?

tesco
04-15-2004, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by kaiweiler@14 April 2004 - 20:16
yes that&#39;s what i figured with the 90 degree...
the only problem is I have an 80mm hole in my side panel but it is in the exact middle of my front panel, whereas my CPU is in upp right, so it would block my entire window, and still have to have some type of curve in it...just thought it&#39;d be easier going out the back if possible...
lol yes it has 4 blue LED&#39;s but I think it looks quite nice....
abu doesnt like LED&#39;s?? or was he the one saying just blue LED&#39;s because they were too mainstream....that was someone, not sure if it was him or not
anyway, any suggestions on where to run the duct? i have the enermax 3051 case, seen here (http://www.enermax.com.tw/cs-3051.htm) (silver)
it looks in teh picture like you have a top blow hole, do you have a fna up there? if not get one...

kaiweiler
04-15-2004, 01:50 AM
@clocker - about 5-6 inches....
@rossco - have one

tesco
04-15-2004, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by kaiweiler@14 April 2004 - 20:50
@clocker - about 5-6 inches....
@rossco - have one
use teh top one to either bring air in or let the air out using the duct. try both and see what ur temps are like both ways, but either way you shouldnt use teh duct going out the back. best way is probably side for intake through a duct, or top for exhaust using the duct...

clocker
04-15-2004, 02:21 AM
Yeah, I&#39;d try to make an angled duct from the side to the top of the Gigabyte.
It could be an 80mm square ( to fit around the fan on the sidepanel) that ends just at the sink.
Have to leave a bit of space I suppose so you can slide the panel into place.

kaiweiler
04-15-2004, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by clocker@14 April 2004 - 22:21
Yeah, I&#39;d try to make an angled duct from the side to the top of the Gigabyte.
It could be an 80mm square ( to fit around the fan on the sidepanel) that ends just at the sink.
Yeah i think havin an angled one to the side might work better then the top, just because to make an exaust at the top witha duct, i would have to make the duct turn a complete 180 degree angle...
hey does anyone know if you heat up the plastic on a cd jewel case does it bend or just melt? maybe if placed in boiling water, i could get it to bend, then i could just round it out a bit and go to the side 80mm ...

tesco
04-15-2004, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by kaiweiler+14 April 2004 - 21:39--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (kaiweiler @ 14 April 2004 - 21:39)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-clocker@14 April 2004 - 22:21
Yeah i think havin an angled one to the side might work better then the top, just because to make an exaust at the top witha duct, i would have to make the duct turn a complete 180 degree angle...
hey does anyone know if you heat up the plastic on a cd jewel case does it bend or just melt? maybe if placed in boiling water, i could get it to bend, then i could just round it out a bit and go to the side 80mm ... [/b][/quote]
a lighter will make it smell really really bad and it will just melt. boiling water does work though, not just hot has to be boiling.

kaiweiler
04-15-2004, 02:55 AM
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@14 April 2004 - 22:42
a lighter will make it smell really really bad and it will just melt. boiling water does work though, not just hot has to be boiling.
have you tried the boiling water part yourself?

tesco
04-15-2004, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by kaiweiler+14 April 2004 - 21:55--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (kaiweiler @ 14 April 2004 - 21:55)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ROSSCO_2004@14 April 2004 - 22:42
have you tried the boiling water part yourself? [/b][/quote]
yes i have. i made a boat out of cd cases :D it was a project in grade 5...they didnt work to great lol.

kaiweiler
04-15-2004, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@14 April 2004 - 22:59
yes i have. i made a boat out of cd cases :D it was a project in grade 5...they didnt work to great lol.
:lol:
alright, i&#39;ll do some planning and maybe start it tomorow
if the fan comes out of the gigabyte cooler that is, if it doesnt i&#39;ll try it with the fan in, and i&#39;ll try it with my old stock AMD heatsink and with no duct at all, and see which one gives best temps...
I&#39;m packin it in for the night, ttyl folks

clocker
04-15-2004, 03:28 AM
K,
It might be enough to simply use a Thermaltake duct on the sidepanel with the fan mounted on the inside to bring fresh, outside air close to the end of the HS.
Worth a try if you happen to have one lying around ( like me...).

Wolfmight
04-15-2004, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by clocker@14 April 2004 - 17:26

Looking at it today I was intrigued by the design and the universiality of the mounting system appeals.

I&#39;ve read several web reviews and the results are all over the map- some like it, some don&#39;t.

I know from my experience with the Zalman 7000cu that reviews and real, at-home results are sometimes very different.
So...anybody?
i hate the zalman 7000cu..
They&#39;re website said my dad&#39;s Gigabyte 7ZXE motherboard supported the card because it had the 4 cpu holes, but the damn board didnt&#33; What a bunch of sheeeeeeiat.

tesco
04-15-2004, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Wolfmight+15 April 2004 - 09:18--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Wolfmight @ 15 April 2004 - 09:18)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-clocker@14 April 2004 - 17:26

I&#39;ve read several web reviews and the results are all over the map- some like it, some don&#39;t.

So...anybody?
i hate the zalman 7000cu..
They&#39;re website said my dad&#39;s Gigabyte 7ZXE motherboard supported the card because it had the 4 cpu holes, but the damn board didnt&#33; What a bunch of sheeeeeeiat. [/b][/quote]
that would mean you hate zalman not just that one model lol. anyway, if the board had the four holes then it would be a very good heatsync.