PDA

View Full Version : Why Won't Start/run Work?

foot loose
04-14-2004, 11:33 PM
when i use start/run (u no msconfig and all that) as soon as i type in the box msconfig and hit return it starts to load the cammand and half way though the process it stops :blink: :blink:
Also when i press ctrl,alt,del to cancell some processes etc.. the box pops up on the screen for 1sec than it disserpeares :blink: :blink:

what on earth is going on :angry:

Nogimics
04-14-2004, 11:40 PM
I know its silly but you dont have a Key stuck down do you lol :lol:

Ariel_001
04-15-2004, 03:25 AM
Originally posted by foot loose@14 April 2004 - 23:33
when i use start/run (u no msconfig and all that) as soon as i type in the box msconfig and hit return it starts to load the cammand and half way though the process it stops :blink: :blink:
Also when i press ctrl,alt,del to cancell some processes etc.. the box pops up on the screen for 1sec than it disserpeares :blink: :blink:

what on earth is going on :angry:
not sure I (and we) understand you.

So you went start-> run -> msconfig

and a Dos box came up and closed?

tesco
04-15-2004, 03:42 AM
its a virus, ive had that one before. regedit, msconfig, services.msc, management console, task manager, all dont open up. get a good virus scanner, avg is good for this situation, and do a full scan of the system.

foot loose
04-15-2004, 04:58 PM
used AVG it found some worm on spybot and on some other exe in the windows folder.. right it cleaned the worm on spybot and i could not clean the other one so it asked me if i want to delete it i said yes... start/run/ms config still don't work :angry:

zapjb
04-15-2004, 07:50 PM
I'd say the virus/worm corrupted your OS. I'd say a complete reinstall is in order.

First I'd try RegSeeker (freeware). Maybe & just maybe it can delete some more entries. That might help. I doubt it though.

But the real solution is to learn how to "harden" your OS. Then start over.

foot loose
04-15-2004, 11:59 PM
yeh i did that i reinstalled windows. how do i make my OS toughter ive got the usual sygate,zone alarm, AVG etc.. what more do i need???? :(

zapjb
04-16-2004, 01:09 AM
First junk ZA. You're going to have problems running 2 firewalls. And Sygate is the best.

Get Avast! home editon imho better than AVG.

Then these other programs when properly used & updated will harden your OS. All including above are freeware. SpywareBlaster 3.1, RegProt 2.0 & ScriTrap. And Spybot Search & Destroy. But you must learn how to set these programs up. Not all are automatic. And don't go onto unfamilar & untrustworthy cr*ck sites or other stupid computer behavior & expect to be trouble free. And get all the CRITICAL (not the recommended) updates for your OS.

These are my opinions.

foot loose
04-16-2004, 09:10 AM
NICE 1 ;) ;) you learn somthing new everyday :D :D