PDA

View Full Version : Codec Problem

gregster007
03-13-2003, 06:40 AM
Hi people,

I installed the new codec 1.7 full and then tried to play some avi files on my machine and would open up ok in any player (could see the time bar) but nothing would happen just a blank black screen with no sound. If moving the seek bar along still nothing.
Have checked the files using g-spot and have correct codec's for audio and video.
Then after checking some other posts relised there is another codec being tested version 2.0. Downloaded this (full) and installed and excatly same problem as before.
All mpg, wmv files work fine.
Even tried installing codec pack 1.6 to no avail.

Any ideas?

Cheers

NB: Also noticed in another post someone said the time bar when opening mpg files was shorted i had the same problem as well until i installed codec 1.7 or 2.0.

Shinigami_[R.I.P.]
03-13-2003, 06:55 AM
Could be a fake.

Originally posted by Me

Tips for finding verified movies:

After about 10 megs or 10% of the total DL of the movie, use Avipreview and see if its your movie.  Click the screen of Avipreview and an Index should pop up with some info.  If the video or audio part has 0 (zero), then its a fake.

After searching and thinking you have enough users, expand the list so you can see all the users for that file by clicking the "+" box to the left of the title and scroll down and check to see if the filenames match up to the movie your looking for and read the yellow description boxes that pop up too.  Sometimes it will say if its a fake or not.

Look at the length of the movie.  A trick I learned awhile ago is that any movie with the length of 1:02:08 is a fake. 

Check the file size of the movie.  Make sure its reasonable.  Sometimes the movie is split into two or three parts for easier downloading.

Check the hashes in the verifieds.  That will usually say if a movie is out or not and will usually tell of its quality.  Always check the verifieds first before looking for a movie which will save you some time.

The idea of verified files is so that you know they exist. The Sig2Dat hashes are just a way to help get you started on the download. You still have to search for them. Kazaa constantly searches while you are downloading for more users. Searching manually just helps speed up that process.

gregster007
03-13-2003, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by Shinigami+13 March 2003 - 06:55--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Shinigami @ 13 March 2003 - 06:55)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Could be a fake.
<!--QuoteBegin--Me

Tips for finding verified movies:

After about 10 megs or 10% of the total DL of the movie, use Avipreview and see if its your movie. Click the screen of Avipreview and an Index should pop up with some info. If the video or audio part has 0 (zero), then its a fake.

After searching and thinking you have enough users, expand the list so you can see all the users for that file by clicking the "+" box to the left of the title and scroll down and check to see if the filenames match up to the movie your looking for and read the yellow description boxes that pop up too. Sometimes it will say if its a fake or not.

Look at the length of the movie. A trick I learned awhile ago is that any movie with the length of 1:02:08 is a fake.

Check the file size of the movie. Make sure its reasonable. Sometimes the movie is split into two or three parts for easier downloading.

Check the hashes in the verifieds. That will usually say if a movie is out or not and will usually tell of its quality. Always check the verifieds first before looking for a movie which will save you some time.

The idea of verified files is so that you know they exist. The Sig2Dat hashes are just a way to help get you started on the download. You still have to search for them. Kazaa constantly searches while you are downloading for more users. Searching manually just helps speed up that process. [/b][/quote]
There definatly not fakes because i was able to view them fine before, but never got round to watching them yet.

VB
03-13-2003, 10:50 AM
Open the files with G-Spot.

That might give you some more info about the problem.

johnnytightlips2
03-13-2003, 02:56 PM
i suggest downloading the newest klite codec pack 2.0

J'Pol
03-13-2003, 03:04 PM
Try

http://www.klboard.ath.cx/bb/index.php?act...=ST&f=4&t=21185 (http://www.klboard.ath.cx/bb/index.php?act=ST&f=4&t=21185)

gregster007
03-13-2003, 10:51 PM
@Paul: I have opened the files with G-spot and found they need the xvid codec for video and it says that its installed fine. After checking other files seems to be all my avi files.

@Johnnytightlips2: version 2.0, if you read my first post you would have relised i have already done this.

@JimiF: After checking this link this is excatly how i have installed the codec. I have also uninstalled all codecs and cleaned the registry and installed v2.0 again and still getting the same problem.

Seems to be a problem with the xvid codec not working correctly.

I have also removed all codecs and installed nimo codec pack which also didn&#39;t work, also just installed the xvid codec and to no avail.

Any more idea&#39;s?

gregster007
03-13-2003, 11:56 PM
All ok now, well all files work fine in bsplayer but dont work with media player, zoom player. Looks like i will start to use bsplayer.
Dont know what the problem still is though.

J'Pol
03-14-2003, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by gregster007@14 March 2003 - 00:56
All ok now, well all files work fine in bsplayer but dont work with media player, zoom player. Looks like i will start to use bsplayer.
Dont know what the problem still is though.
Glad it&#39;s working now. However I would not have used version 2. As I understand it is still under development. The release is for testing purposes.I would have used a fully released tested version.

Hey if it&#39;s not broke don&#39;t fix it though.

gregster007
03-14-2003, 12:18 AM
Cheers JmiF,

Thought i would try 2.0 just incase this fixed the problem, dont worry i will uninstall and install again when properly released.

But i dont know why the avi files only work on bsplayer and not anything else.

C4-M$=:)
03-14-2003, 01:08 AM
here&#39;s some great codecs for u to use, these are all I ever use and I have over 60gbs of movies........
search for them via google.

FFDShow
enduser
XVID

those will play all the movies u can think of....oh yeah and don&#39;t use divx if u do, use the Zoom player, it doesn&#39;t eat up as much of ur resources.