PDA

View Full Version : The Punisher

Amarjit
04-15-2004, 11:17 AM
Looking forward to seeing this film tomorrow. I have my hopes it'll be another Marvel classic - I'm sure these expectations will be justified by the fact that John Travolta's starring in it. ;)

pusher
04-15-2004, 11:27 AM
I'll probably wait until it comes out on DVD. I don't think it looks that interesting (but that's just my opinion.)

bujub22
04-15-2004, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by pusher@15 April 2004 - 07:27
I'll probably wait until it comes out on DVD. I don't think it looks that interesting (but that's just my opinion.)
i have to agree with him! ..this does'nt look good!..ill dl to see this ;)

Aaron_T
04-15-2004, 02:18 PM
never heard of it :blink:

wipe709
04-15-2004, 06:15 PM
Harry @ Ain't It Cool News definately doesn't like it...
aint-it-cool-news.com (http://www.aint-it-cool-news.com/display.cgi?id=17355)

I doubt that I'll watch it, I'll go see Spiderman 2 instead and/or Hellboy.

tarzan
04-15-2004, 07:40 PM
forget the Punisher,Kill Bill vol.2 comes out tommorow

Manny Roscoe
04-15-2004, 07:55 PM
My money is going to Kill Bill 2.

I'll wait for Punisher to come out on DVD.

Amarjit
04-15-2004, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by wipe709@15 April 2004 - 18:15
Spider-Man 2's gonna rock too ... Hopefully two great Marvel films in a year perhaps.

bujub22
04-15-2004, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by wipe709@15 April 2004 - 14:15
Harry @ Ain't It Cool News definately doesn't like it...
aint-it-cool-news.com (http://www.aint-it-cool-news.com/display.cgi?id=17355)

seen hell boy that's good movie spiderman 2 looks good ..punisher tho :P

Manny Roscoe
04-15-2004, 10:53 PM
The Punisher looks like shit anyway.....I wouldnt see it reguardless of the constant bad reviews:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/ThePunisher-1131721/

http://www.metacritic.com/film/titles/punisher/

Its the audience thats gonna get punished tommorrow for watching a crappy film....

Like I said, the only quality film out this weekend is Kill Bill Vol. 2, and next week, maybe it'll be Man on Fire....or maybe I'll finally see Hellboy next week....

Formula1
04-16-2004, 11:46 PM
all marvel movies suck including spiderman , X-2 was atleast a little good.

Formula1
04-16-2004, 11:48 PM
movie got an average of 1 and a half stars :( http://www.critics.com/p/punisher.htm

Manny Roscoe
04-17-2004, 06:30 AM
Originally posted by Formula1@16 April 2004 - 19:48
movie got an average of 1 and a half stars :( http://www.critics.com/p/punisher.htm
Cuz it sucks.

I saw it. The whole thing is a fucking joke....even dudes making out with other dudes, terrible lines, invisible plot, unanswerd questions, cheesy dialogue, and those fucktard neighbors...the dude with the peircings and one of the worst characters I've ever seen in a movie-Bumbo the Lard.
The movie stayed sort of true to the comic, reguardless of the shittyness, but the movie's saving grace was Rebecca Romijn (sp?) and the chick the plays Howard Saint's wife. Thomas Jane wasnt too bad of the Punisher, its just that his protrayal wasnt believable or strong enough. This movie is among the ranks of Dare Devil....I say no more.

Rip The Jacker
04-17-2004, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by Manny Roscoe+16 April 2004 - 22:30--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Manny Roscoe @ 16 April 2004 - 22:30)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Formula1@16 April 2004 - 19:48
Cuz it sucks.

I saw it. The whole thing is a fucking joke....even dudes making out with other dudes, terrible lines, invisible plot, unanswerd questions, cheesy dialogue, and those fucktard neighbors...the dude with the peircings and one of the worst characters I&#39;ve ever seen in a movie-Bumbo the Lard.
The movie stayed sort of true to the comic, reguardless of the shittyness, but the movie&#39;s saving grace was Rebecca Romijn (sp?) and the chick the plays Howard Saint&#39;s wife. Thomas Jane wasnt too bad of the Punisher, its just that his protrayal wasnt believable or strong enough. This movie is among the ranks of Dare Devil....I say no more. [/b][/quote]
Wow... was it that bad? I work at a movie theatre, and today was just packed&#33; Tons of people came to see The Punisher and Kill Bill Vol. 2. I mean just people all over the place sleeping and everything, damn freeloaders. :lol:

I plan on watching The Punisher on Tue., just for the heck of it.

Manny Roscoe
04-17-2004, 09:12 AM
Good thing I saw the Punisher for free; I payed for Kill Bill Vol. 2 and snuck into the Punisher, and suprisingly, it was more packed than KB Vol. 2 was....wayyy packed. Shit...I had to sit in the very first row....

But yes Jacker, it was really that bad. The movie is based on the "Welcome Back, Frank." section of the comics, which spands about 12 volumes. Theres only about 10 pages that deal with Frank and his neighbors; in the movie, the neighbors get more screen time than the Punisher himself. To make things worse, they&#39;re really, really annoying. One of them is a lard ass who acts really strange....I just cant describe how bizarre "Bumbo" was....then there was this "mouse" looking dude who cries like a bitch when he gets slapped and tortured....I mean, (SPOILER ALERT&#33;) if I had peircings all over my face like he did, and had some fag rip them off one by one demanding for me to tell him where Frank Castle is, I&#39;d probably cry like a bitch too. BUT....this guy cried like a little girl....it was pathetic. About the gay guy..."Glass". It was weird....there was a scene where Castle (the Punisher of course) was spying on Howard Saint&#39;s (John Travolta) henchmen, when Glass takes some guy to the back of some building slaping the guy with his pistol, then, out of the blue, makes out with him. What the fuck? :huh:
This scene really fucked up everything for me.

Theres gonna be some more spoilers from here on out:

Then, the fight with The Russian. Ok, it was really corny, but, it did have its moments. Like when Frank threw a grenade and the Russian swung at it like a baseball and exploding right next to Frank. It was a gritty fight; stabbing, burning, and ultimately, the Russian tumbling down a flight of stairs resulting in his head being turned 180 degrees; it was pretty graphic. Unfortunately, the scene was somewhat ruined when the fight switched to Frank&#39;s annoying neighbors danicing around and cooking in the room next to Frank, and they cant hear the fight going on because they&#39;re singing some Italian song. Theres also the scenes where Frank tries to make Howard Saint think that his wife is cheating on him, having an affair with Glass. I wont even go into detail how pointless or boring these scenes were, or how weird it was for the Punisher to be carring around a fire extinguisher at times. Fuck it. You&#39;ll know what Im talking about when you see it if you even want to watch this turd. Thus, Saint is fooled into believing that his wife is cheating on him, so he kills Glass, repeatedly stabbing him while Glass tried to hug him, saying "Please dont, PLEASE DONT&#33;" and it seemed that Glass also tried to kiss him. Then, Saint takes his wife to the railroad tracks and leaves her there for dead. Proceeding this, Frank goes to Saint&#39;s building "Sinners and Saints". This scene was cheesy as hell from the start, but it progressivley got better as Frank shoots up the place and even stabs some dudes chin in a pretty gruesome way; it was a mediocre scene. Then comes the scene where Frank kills Saint; he ties Saint&#39;s leg to the bumper of a car while the car drives off into a car lot.
All the cars start blowing up, including the car Saint was tied to. But wait&#33; It gets worse&#33; Theres a bird&#39;s eye view of the car lot that exploded exposing a flaming skull (kinda like the scene in Dare Devil where the cop throws a cig to the ground and theres a giant DD in flames).
There was no climax for this final scene for Frank and Howard. There was not enough screen time for the Punisher himself, the title character of the film. The Musical Score was God-Aweful....it seemed so out of place the entire time; the Punisher&#39;s theme sounded like shit. The end was so unfulfilling....hell, they&#39;ve showed the ending in the trailer....the scene where they show the Punisher on a bridge all alone at sunset, saying, "Frank Castle died along with the family. I am the Punisher". And thats it. It ends just like that. He leaves the apartment complex with the annoying neighbors, but he left them with about 500,000 bucks. The thing that gets me is that he&#39;s so ruthless in the comic, not showing pity or mercy. In the movie, he comes off as a nice guy, helping others. Sure, I mean, thats what he does and all, but dammit, he didnt seem too believable as the Punisher. All the preformances were shit. Even the 1989 version of the Punisher with Dolph was better....and the 1989 version was pure shit&#33; Thus, this version was like pure....pure shit....
The only thing that I really liked in this film was the ramdom titty shots in the middle of the film, Rebecca Romijn, and Howard Saint&#39;s wife.
Hell, dont listen to me and watch the movie if you want to; of course, its up to you. But, I&#39;ve been honest about this movie, and I&#39;ve hated it; Im so glad I didnt pay for it, becuase if I did, I&#39;ve would of been really, really, really pissed, and would of regretted it; I shit you not.

Kill Bill Vol. 2 on the other hand was a true masterpeice, but hey, thats just my opinion. Many people who expect it to be like the first one will be disapointed, but wont regret seeing it. Yes, it has few action scenes, but, they&#39;re excellent, stylish action scenes.

SPOILERS AHEAD.

The scene with the teacher Pai Mei was very entertaining if you like old school kung fu films; too bad it was too short. It was hilarious what he said to Beatrix (The Bride)...but I wont get into that now.....also, when he fought her, I busted a gut. Damn I love that scene&#33; Theres also the scene where Beatrix is buried alive; it was surreal, because the whole time the screen was pitch black and you can hear the dirt being piled on the coffin.....it was like the audience was being buried alive with her. You just have to experience that moment in a theater. When she dug herself out, another funny ass scene occured. Then, there was the scene between Elle and Beatrix.....another awesome fight. It was brutal as fuck....especially when Beatrix plucked out Elle&#39;s other eye, thus making her blind. Elle lost her fucking mind at this point...you just gotta see it&#33; Then, she gets to Bill, a scene that was very touching and sad, because.....well......I&#39;ll be here for a while typing it, so I&#39;d say watch the movie and find out why that scene was pretty sad.....imagine the shit that was running through Beatrix&#39;s head at the moment she found Bill. Also, the flashback scene with the Japanese assasian was excellent....especially the end of that scene.
Then, there was Bill&#39;s speech about Superheros......very interesting. Finally, it was the way Bill went out that was way cool, which I wont spoil....was&#39;nt a climatic finish, but, Beatrix got the job done, thanks to something Pai Mei taught her. The ending was fullfilling, just as the ending to Return of the King was fullfilling.

Overall, Kill Bill Vol. 2 deserves the money, and I&#39;d gladly pay to watch it again.
I havent gone into too much detail about what goes down in Vol. 2, but I have stated the highlights. By the way, cant wait for the Special Edition DVD of the movies as one whole movie coming this fall......:)

But the Punisher, I have explained pretty much everything....and, as I said, Isnt worth paying even a dollar for, even when it comes out on DVD.

If you pay for the Punisher, you will regret it. If you pay for Kill Bill Vol. 2, I promise you will be satisfied, but under two conditions:
#1:You&#39;ve seen and enjoyed the first Volume.
#2:You like the type of movie Kill Bill is; Spagetti Western, throwback to 70&#39;s films, revenge genre.

Phew....thats all I got to say.

Rip The Jacker
04-17-2004, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by Manny Roscoe@17 April 2004 - 01:12
If you pay for the Punisher, you will regret it.
Thats good, because I&#39;m not going to pay for it, I work there. :D

Afronaut
04-17-2004, 09:24 AM
Manny, you should start working like a Critic for some movie-sites, get payd for it.
You diss like a pro.
:lol:

Anyways, have not seen this movie. I&#39;d go see it if we had a decent theater here.
I saw the Kill Bill vol-1 and thought,
what the hell was all the fuss about?
Its not a bad movie but it had a hell of a lot of fuss on teh media.

:cool2:

Manny Roscoe
04-17-2004, 09:32 AM
Thanks for the comment, Slinger.
Yeah, Kill Bill Vol. 1 and 2 got a lot of attention....too much unecessary attention, I mean, its just a movie, but a great one at that. Its the kind of film that reminds us why we even love movies in the first place.
Anyways, the only reason I thought the first one got so much attention was the House of Blue Leaves fight, which basically was a much talked about scene in a film. It was a revolutionary scene, as nothing like it has been done before, and there was no CGI at all.