PDA

View Full Version : Ps2 Modding

lightshow
04-15-2004, 11:08 PM
I am going to Mod [modchip] my Ps2 system.

I watched the thrid thebroken (http://www.thebroken.org) episode which shows how to mod the PS2 and my question is with the sodering.

I know how to use a soder gun and I was wondering if any of you have sodered your modchip in.

The soder points are very small and I wanted to hear people's experience with their own personal modding

IE : I messed up my motherbaord, it was easy, keep a steady hand, etc

tesco
04-15-2004, 11:18 PM
i messed up a mouse trying to solder a new right click button into it. the one it had didnt work. i ended up putting to much solder and it roled down teh circuit board and melted onto a chips conncters, then it didnt work anymore and i couldnt 'unsolder' it.

its very hard to solder, and i recomend u either get an external mod chip or have it professionally done, unless you have had experience with a soldering iron.

freak
04-15-2004, 11:27 PM
I have done a few for friends now and i've installed the duo chip in mine... I did mine first it took me awhile to do as this was only the second time.
i picked up a soldering iron the first was on a ps... the ps2 is quit abit harder and i would say i did a great job as i very rarly solder my main advice would be make sure u have the proper stuff,take your time, keep a stedy hand, and take a few breaks lol i really needed to take a few smoke breaks as i was freaked id mess my ps2 up but after i was finished i put it back together and it worked perfect :D

lightshow
04-16-2004, 12:03 AM
Yeah, maybe I should do a few practice sodders before I try the real thing. Did you have any problems soddering it in the sense of it being a really small point to sodder?

harrycary
04-16-2004, 12:20 AM
using a nice solder tool will make all the difference in the world and oh, so much easier...

something with a lot of wattage and precise, replaceable tips...

you may find one used for under $100US.

luck with it.

freak
04-16-2004, 02:44 AM
No the only problem I had was getting the solder to stick to the vias but once i figured out the first via the rest where pretty easy but the points wern't overly small but i have great eye sight so it may be harder for some people.

All I have to say is take your time your first time.... it took me close to 5hrs the first time but that was because of me takeing breaks and i wanted to be very careful but now i can do it quit abit faster and im not really worried about messing up any more cause now i know what to do.