PDA

View Full Version : Video Lan And Avi Preview

digmen1
04-17-2004, 03:32 AM
I don't often use that word, but both these programs are useless.

AVI Preview when it works is good. But is only seems to read 50% of the files I try it on. I get the feeling that this is done on purpose to make users purchase another of his programs.

There have been no updates on it for over 1 year.

It is very frustrating to get the message box that it can't read the file, yet when its downloaded in full it can !

Vidoe Lan is not much better.

Version 0.7 is the latest one (I think) and once again it has not been updated for ages.

It also only plays half of the files I try it on, it often only shows its control panel and the slider with no video window ! or it plays the sound

It often crashes !

Surely they should have been able to make it play just about very type of video file by now.

Do they want us to send them some partial files to work on ? Or some money ?

Any comments ?

Thanks

Digby
NZ

Adster
04-17-2004, 03:43 AM
my ass

if you haev the RIGHT codecs then there is no problem

Video lan plays every single file their is I have never had video lan not play a file before
it even plays unfinshed bin files
AVI has it's problems yes

digmen1
04-17-2004, 03:52 AM
I thought Video Lan did not rely on video codecs ! as it had its own built in file system.

How much of a file do you need to be able to play it in Video Lan. I sometimes have 3 meg d/loaded and it will still nto play !

Thanks

regards

Digby

Adster
04-17-2004, 03:56 AM
sorry I ment avi preview needs the right codecs video lan comes with it's own

maybe you could try BS Player

only thing that I find Video lan not playing are mov and ramfiles which you need rela player and quick time for

tensegg
04-17-2004, 01:18 PM
they both work fine for me, I prefer video lan, AP gives me grief sometimes, a Mega Codec Pack (http://www.k-litemegacodecpack.com/), should have bout all you need if you dont have one. ;)

Samurai
04-17-2004, 01:38 PM
50% huh?

You do REALISE that you need the beginning and ends successfully downloaded to be able to preview a file. Maybe that's where your errors are.

digmen1
04-17-2004, 03:17 PM
Adster,

There is something wrong here,

Video Lan does not play quite a few of the MPegs and AVI files that I am downloading right now.

How come it plays everything for you ?

Regards

Digby

javelinmansst
04-18-2004, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by digmen1@17 April 2004 - 15:17
Adster,

There is something wrong here,

Video Lan does not play quite a few of the MPegs and AVI files that I am downloading right now.

How come it plays everything for you ?

Regards

Digby
:rolleyes: if i were you I would uninstall video lan and reinstall it, cause you got problems.
I HAVE NEVER , EVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH VIDEO LAN!
It is an awesome program. avi preview sucks . I dont understand why video lan isnt included in the k-lite package instead of avi pre.

video lan has played my partial downloads when I only had like 300 or 400 kbs
out of like 200,000 kbs downloaded.
maybe you should redownload it, either that or buy a new computer :D
good luck.

delphin460
04-18-2004, 10:16 AM
!. its called avi PREVIEW for a reason, its to preview not for playing the whole file. The theater is for playing the whole movie when its finished. Preview also has a problem with files that are out of sequence and most likely why it only plays partialy

2. videolan can only play files that have both the begging and end downloaded, its how it works, so downloads from most p2p and bit torrents ect wont work till it has at least the beginning and end , and that almost never happens until near the end of the download. Thats why you get the transport window without the video wondow cause it cant figure how to play it

videolan almost never crashes here so there is something buggy with your comp

also some movies that are rar format can not be viewed by anything untill you unrar then twice

Stop bitchin about stuff that works as well as it can, either that or go buy or hire the movies

Adster
04-18-2004, 10:23 AM
umm theae movies you download wouldn't happened to be fake blank files :huh:

100%
04-20-2004, 02:14 AM
i have experienced a few vlan errors
today infact
starsky hutchtmd.avi
nothing would playit until totally downloaded
for the rest vlam is great
nothing is perfect

Joakim Agren
04-20-2004, 05:50 AM
Hello!

Video Lan do preview partials without the end of the file having to be there just the first part needs to be there untill the first Keyframe! I have used it to preview files as small as 2MB. But usually I recommend waiting untill you have downloaded 10MB for AVI's and 20MB for SVCD MPEG's.

For some people the preference file is corrupted and needs to get deleted. Try the following and see if it works and enables you to preview files:

If your using version 0.7 you need to delete the preferences file.Once thats deleted then you will be able to preview incomplete files..

It is found here: C:\Documents and Settings\USER NAME\Application Data\vlc

Youll need to have "show hidden files & folders " enabled to be able to see it!.

digmen1
04-20-2004, 06:43 AM
Thanks Joakim Agren

At last someone who speaks a bit of sense !

And the previous poster who had a file that it would not preview.

I did not believe those before who said that Video Lan needs the start and the end of the file to be present before it can preveiw as I have had it preview several small files no problem when I know that only the first few frames have been downloaded as i wasa doanloading from one user only.

Surely, KL does not download the last frames of a file just so that we can preview it.

Joachim your suggestion about the preferences file is much appreciated and i will check it out.

You mention version 07. What is the latest version ?

I realise that nothing is perfect, it just seemed to me that having it not preview about 50% of my files when they all download OK and are not fakes means the program is not living up to its billing in their web site where they say it previews just avout evry file without Codecs !

Thanks

Digby

Cyril
04-20-2004, 09:43 AM
Digby, I find both work okay for me, but on avi's etc of more than 700 Mb I need about 10-20 Mb before I can preview, and still it doesn't always work. Believe latest version of Videolan is 0.71

Check for PM from me as well.

zoidman
04-22-2004, 01:52 AM
Videolan works great. Ever since i reformatted my computer and lost my previous codecs videolan has not created any problems and has played all the files i've watched thus far. Much simplier solution than codecs.
However i think if you have existing codecs and other players on ur comp it may interfere with videolan! something i read on their site i think....