PDA

View Full Version : Questions About Wiring Stuff In My Basement

tesco
04-17-2004, 06:06 PM
ok, my basement room is getting close to putting up the drywall, just gotta do a few more things first...

right now im working on installing a phone outlet...
my dad is working on the light switches, but i have to help him do it lol.
and after phone im doing cable,
then im hooking up my in-wall speakers,
then network will be last because i dont know how to do that one lol.

ok, so for teh phone line im using a wire i stole from my garage that is about 20feet long. my room is at the back of the basement and my electrical box, cable, phone line box etc. are at teh front of the basement :angry: .

now what i need to know is this:
there is a phone line going from teh phone box at front of house to my kitchen. my 20foot wire could reach to this and get into my room, but it wont reach all the way back to my phone box. so I was wondering if I could cut the kitchen telephone wire and then strip the wires, and attach the kitchen and my room to the one phone cable. would this work or do I have to buy some sort of splitter to double the connection (in which case i would just buy a longer wire instead)?

normally I would just go ahead and buy the phone wire, but i really want to get this finished fast...

and ill have another qquestion later but im not asking it yet cause i gotta get back to work downstairs.

thanks guys!

tesco
04-17-2004, 06:59 PM
nevermind, my dad found a phone line coming down from somewhere else and I just attached my 20ft wire to that and have completely roughed in my phone line :) (roughed in is the word for when youve got the wire all through teh wall to your face plate but no faceplate yet isnt it? :unsure: )

ok so now ive got another question, about networking...

how do I install a faceplate for networks? i havent had a chance to look at them yet in home depot...do i just buy a 100ft wire or somehting like that and cut teh end, strip the wires and screw them in like a phone line, or do I have to buy special adaptors and stuff?

Livy
04-18-2004, 12:19 AM
i owuld imagine it would be very similar to the phone. just make sure u get it wired int he right way,

tesco
04-18-2004, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by Livy@17 April 2004 - 19:19
i owuld imagine it would be very similar to the phone. just make sure u get it wired int he right way,
ya itll probably be hard though, since theres like 8 wires i think...i hope its labelled :rolleyes: