PDA

View Full Version : Ram Leds

Amarjit
04-18-2004, 05:47 PM
I favour the recent addition to Corsair RAM: activity LEDs. This unique feature would make a worthy supplement to my ATX Case, to be purchased, incorporating a windowed chassis.

However, for this RAM to be acquired, it necessitates the expenditure of £200+! For this healthy sum, I could attain 2GB of PC3200 RAM. Is there something of similarity, that makes a provision of this functionality to existing, standard RAM?

I am already anticipating my purchase of a cathode light kit.

tesco
04-18-2004, 05:53 PM
ya, it is available in normal ram, you just have to look harder. one of my friends has a 256mb stick that he got for same price as any other ram, and he put it in then one day he opened his comp while it was on and noticed it had 2 leds on teh top, one said it was running, other said it was reading\writing. he hadnt noticed this before. i thought it was pretty cool at the time...

Amarjit
04-19-2004, 01:34 PM
I have made a discovery of the solution. Googling upon the subject regarding Corsair's RAM LEDs witnesses the page, exhibiting the findings, making linkage to this page:

http://www.overclockers.com.au/article.php?id=264187

The page appreciatively makes a provision of an invaluable hyperlink - making a referral to a "RAM MOD. Lighting Kit".

EDIT:

http://www.customcases.com.au/shop/img/shop/2004_rammod_sequence3.gif

clocker
04-19-2004, 02:08 PM
Amarjit,
If you are a fan of bright, twinkly things in your case, then go for it.

My objection is the the kit is essentially a fake and the light activity does not correspond with RAM usage at all.
I'm not even that impressed with the real Corsair LEDs...I don't spend much time staring at my RAM...in fact I have gone out of my way to get a case with no window, so even the real thing would be useless to me.

But I am very unhip, so disregard my opinion....
I'll bet Abu is drooling over this.

Virtualbody1234
04-19-2004, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by clocker@19 April 2004 - 08:08
Amarjit,
If you are a fan of bright, twinkly things in your case, then go for it.

My objection is the the kit is essentially a fake and the light activity does not correspond with RAM usage at all.
I'm not even that impressed with the real Corsair LEDs...I don't spend much time staring at my RAM...in fact I have gone out of my way to get a case with no window, so even the real thing would be useless to me.

But I am very unhip, so disregard my opinion....
I'll bet Abu is drooling over this.
Now that's a great post, clocker. :lol:

I don't spend much time staring at my RAMMe neither. :lol:

Amarjit
04-19-2004, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by clocker@19 April 2004 - 14:08
That's a fair point. The review even makes a referral to the fact that the RAM's flashing is not co-ordinated with the RAM's activity. The principal of staring at "twinkly things" is rendered as being pointless - I know - but the trend of windowed cases and "toys" such as cathode lighting, fans with LEDs, makes it convincing to purchase this mod.

Edit: In addition, there's a lack of availability of ATX cases that feature window-less panels, that are not simultaneously "eye sores" i.e. beige boxes.

clocker
04-19-2004, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by Amarjit@19 April 2004 - 12:12

Edit: In addition, there's a lack of availability of ATX cases that feature window-less panels, that are not simultaneously "eye sores" i.e. beige boxes.
Not true, Amarjit.

Lian-Li and CoolerMaster both make several "windowless" cases and I'm sure there are others.
In fact, I predict that the trend ( especially in higher-end cases) will be back to non-windowed cases.

It sure makes sound control ( my pick for the next high-concept case trend) easier.

zapjb
04-20-2004, 05:06 AM
I have a beautiful windowless Antec case. The SLK3700AMB is on sale at newegg $70 incl s&h. I just added a 120mm intake Antec fan. This case is sweet. And with the included Antec PSU I won't have hardware related problems due to PSU. I'll get the full life out of my hardware. Unlike others here who swear Antec isn't the only top PSU. Wake up 99% or more of the PSU being sold seperately or on $500 emachines - $2000 top brand names are pos PSU that will f*ck up the hardware within 1-2yrs. If it ain't got an Antec PSU imo you're throwing your money away. Believe it or continue to be deceived. ;)

clocker
04-20-2004, 05:14 AM
Zapjb,

When you get a chance could you send me an Antec T-shirt?
You must have mounds of them laying around the warehouse...

zapjb
04-20-2004, 05:21 AM
Thx clocker. :lol: :lol:

Strictly & unofficial & poor here to boot. :lol:

Mad Cat
04-20-2004, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by clocker+19 April 2004 - 23:34--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker @ 19 April 2004 - 23:34)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Amarjit@19 April 2004 - 12:12

Edit: In addition, there&#39;s a lack of availability of ATX cases that feature window-less panels, that are not simultaneously "eye sores" i.e. beige boxes.
Not true, Amarjit.

Lian-Li and CoolerMaster both make several "windowless" cases and I&#39;m sure there are others.
In fact, I predict that the trend ( especially in higher-end cases) will be back to non-windowed cases.

It sure makes sound control ( my pick for the next high-concept case trend) easier. [/b][/quote]
My Chieftec Dragon has no window, and I don&#39;t really care or want to buy one.