PDA

View Full Version : Wireless P2p Help.....argh :(

dbb
04-18-2004, 09:30 PM
Hey all I have a few questions that have been probleming me since late October when I got wireless internet. Before this, I just had your standard cable internet, no P2P (kazaa lite) problems whatsoever. Downloads would always go anywhere between 85kbs-200kbs. No matter how many sources there were. When I got wireless I now get downloads from 0.14 kbs-20.0kbs on avg. Usually the downloads just say need more sources. When I unplug all wireless and hook it up just to modem, the downloads go back to the 85kbs-200kbs range, even on the same downloads I was previously getting jack crap on!

I cannot do this everytime I want to download something, simply because my computer is upstairs and the other one is down cellar. Ive tried port forwarding (not even sure what ports to use, but the ports I specify make no difference) on my Lynksys WRt54g wireless router.

Ive talked to others, some have this problems, others dont. They all have everything set up exactly the same with the same firmware. Im completely confused.I do not have a Windows XP firewall running. I want my download speeds back! Anyone have any tips, or know of anyone that has fixed this? My friends with wireless are also receiving the same problems, but they have different routers ect.

Thanks for any help! :)

danyj
04-18-2004, 10:02 PM
You need KaNAT (http://www.fasttrackhelp.com/development/ftfakes/kanat/download/KaNAT037Beta.exe) my friend :D Also don't forget to forward the port you are using for Kazaa Lite first. Then speeds will be fast again :) THis will do it :lol:

dbb
04-18-2004, 10:31 PM
I use port 15567 and I have it opened with both UDP and TCP (orw/e those two are called) in my port forwarding section, still nothing. :(

vivitron 15
04-18-2004, 11:00 PM
did u read his post?

did u use Kanat? - its the answer to your problems

dbb
04-19-2004, 12:12 AM
Yes, I am using Kanat. Seems to be ineffective.

erRor67
04-19-2004, 01:33 AM
mmm, Kanat and Port forwarding enabled and still no fast downloads?

What about firewalls?

junkyardking
04-19-2004, 02:12 AM
Use an other program besides kazaa.

Irc, newsgroups, overnet, and bittorent. ;) ;) ;) ;)

dbb
04-19-2004, 03:02 AM
Unless that has a built in firewall (the router) then no. I believe I am using Kanat correctly (there is really no way to use it incorrectly correct? Ive also tried programs like bearshare and Winmx ect and nothing.

Also, someone stated somewhere else about a DMZ hosting.....hmm? No clue what this means! :)

dbb
04-19-2004, 03:33 AM
The port im using is considered "stealthed" after taking that test on that website where Kanat is located. I have no clue how to change it! Ive tried everything! ARGH!

dbb
04-19-2004, 03:34 AM
Whoa odd....Now I got it to say open, but still no change in anything. Arghy argh argh argh! :frusty:

danyj
04-19-2004, 04:01 AM
Are you saying that you do not know how to change the incoming port? :huh:

dbb
04-19-2004, 04:08 AM
I used the ports 6557-6699 and left them enabled to UDP and TCP or w/e the names of those are, then used that in the firewall section of Kazaa Lite and Kanat. Still nothing. I use port 6699, nothing whatsoever of a change.

danyj
04-19-2004, 04:18 AM
1) Turn off all firewalls (xp and others)
2) Forward A port
3) Restart Your Computer
4)Input that port in kazaa (...settings>firewall)
5) Restart Kazaa
6) Turn on Kanat
7) download a file which has MANY users online (You don't have to download the whole file because you're just checking for speeds)
Hope this helps :D

dbb
04-19-2004, 04:23 AM
Nothing :(

Im thinking maybe because of the built in NAT firewall in the router? :unsure:

Someone also mentioned a DMZ host on another forum, but I do not see what would do.

Also, I know theres a place on my actual computer that you can right click on something about the internet and enable TCP/UDP stuff, I forget where that is, and did you have to do anything like that, if so do you know what settings you have yours on? Thanks :)

danyj
04-19-2004, 04:32 AM
Hey are you sure that you did the port forwarding correctly? AND you only use one port for kazaa, not a whole range of them. AND are you sure you are using KaNAT correctly. If you tried all this and it still doesn't work, i suggest you try another network. I had the same problem as you, but it was resolved with port forwarding and KaNAT. Good Luck :)

dbb
04-19-2004, 04:37 AM
The way my port forwarding works is that it says for a range.

Like it will give me two boxes

------- to------- so would I just put the two same numbers in both? The site says its open, but still nothing. Im thinking I might need to enable that tcp udp thing on my computer in the settings somewhere, dont know where though, I know every XP has it though. Argh. :frusty:

Thanks for all your help though, I really appreciate it! :P

danyj
04-19-2004, 04:39 AM
Did you go to "virtual server" to forward your port?

dbb
04-19-2004, 10:24 PM
Uh...where do I do that? :helpsmile:

dbb
04-20-2004, 11:37 PM
Ahh? :helpsmile: :P

dbb
04-20-2004, 11:47 PM
Also, do you have a specific port to open, and not just a random one like I picked?