PDA

View Full Version : Why Don't You Use Macintosh?

100%
04-20-2004, 01:39 PM
Im on Windows
but man -Mac looks great
The hardware, interface everything, setup
All Grfx Designers,Video and Audio editors seem to be using it.

Why Don't You Use Macintosh?
Image Resized
[img]http://www.mokabyte.it/2001/05/macosx_fig2_full_screenshot.jpg' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'> ('http://www.mokabyte.it/2001/05/macosx_fig2_full_screenshot.jpg')

sharedholder
04-20-2004, 01:45 PM
Really i don't know , i know only one thing that Macintosh kick WINDOWS ass. :lol: :lol:

AndrewBarker
04-20-2004, 01:46 PM
from what I understand they are very expensive and only 5% of computers are Macs

4play
04-20-2004, 02:01 PM
they are very expensive and suck for games.

fred devliegher
04-20-2004, 02:20 PM
I couldn't afford one unless I sold my liver. No-one seems to sells Mac games except the Apple website. Rayman 3 for $34.99 when the Win version is $7.99 ? Tough choice...

The interface ? ObjectDock - check. MacOS theme - check. Mac cursors - check.

And I'm not a graphic designer, so pooh.

delphin460
04-20-2004, 02:25 PM
i use a mac g4 for my 3d rendering and other assioated work, it also renders avi to dvd in about half the time of any pc

for that and that alone it kicks any imb clone

but for normal use , imb clone is better

uNz[i]
04-20-2004, 03:52 PM
I'd seriously love a G5... but yeah, the price kills it for me. :lol:

Amarjit
04-20-2004, 05:02 PM
They lack expansion potential - to a significant extent.

Ariel_001
04-20-2004, 05:49 PM
I find the interface is ulgy and I can't really do anything on them. There full of pieportraly bullshit.

I prefer windows and linux over Mac. There hackable or opensource

Xero Grid
04-20-2004, 06:00 PM
Too much $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$....

And everyone I worked with is so bloated to the brim with eye-candy, it's sooooo sloooooow. Infact, every mac I've worked with is slow.
I do have to admit that it's defaults is much safer than windows, and way easier. I mean, come on, you can drag a program folder to the trash and uninstall the app. :lol: :lol:

Macs are also incompatible with apps I love and games, if they even come out, come out slower. Not to mention that since everything is so self-contained, every app is BLOATED. That's all I can think of off hand.

-- Xero Grid --

hi_what_is_up!
04-20-2004, 08:20 PM
The OS sucks major ass.

h1
04-20-2004, 10:59 PM
All Your Base Are Belong To Linux.

NightStalker
04-20-2004, 11:07 PM
I smell a lot of bias for Linux and Windows in this topic.

NightStalker
04-20-2004, 11:32 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the latest operating system released by Apple (OS X) is built on Darwin, which is an open source project. ;)

The OS sucks major ass.

So, are you a Linux or Windows fanboy?

I'm guessing Linux.

OS X is an Unix System. (BSD to be precise) Just like Linux, OSX can find other applications that will do the same job as it would on Windows.

joeyipod
04-20-2004, 11:38 PM
Macs are shit

tesco
04-21-2004, 12:39 AM
well, for me there are 4 main reasons why i prefer pc\windows over mac\macOS. They're in order of significance:
Lack of games\software compatible with macs.
The incredibly high prices.
The single button mouses (not sure if they've switched over to 2 buttons yet)
The interface, im too used to windows, so it would take me quiet a while to get used to it...

the last one shouldnt really count towards a reason why i shoouldnt get a mac though, becuase if they truly were better than PCs id be willing to learn to use it....hell if I had a mac id learn it even if I wasn;t going to use the mac for anything...

Filliz
04-21-2004, 01:26 AM
http://www.mac-sucks.com

:smilie4:

Formula1
04-21-2004, 01:51 AM
-Harder to use than windows and less features , how the hell can i right click :P
-Lack of games and softwares THAT INTEREST ME
-I dont like the interface
-Crashes
-More people use widows
-Seems slower than windows...
-As said before , the price...

hi_what_is_up!
04-21-2004, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by NightStalker@20 April 2004 - 18:32

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the latest operating system released by Apple (OS X) is built on Darwin, which is an open source project. ;)

The OS sucks major ass.

So, are you a Linux or Windows fanboy?

I'm guessing Linux.

OS X is an Unix System. (BSD to be precise) Just like Linux, OSX can find other applications that will do the same job as it would on Windows.
No I'm not a fanboy I'm just not a bastard thats jumping on the bandwagon and switching my OS because some un-educated twat says windows sucks.

Storm
04-21-2004, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by joeyipod@21 April 2004 - 00:38
Macs are shit
:blink:

thats a good reason..............

i dont use macs cause:
1- price
2- price of software

id like to do graphical work on a mac, but id have to get a 2nd comp, and id have to pay for all the software (@ least, i dunno where to get mac software offa the net

NightStalker
04-21-2004, 10:17 PM
1.Harder to use than windows and less features , how the hell can i right click
2.Lack of games and softwares THAT INTEREST ME
3.I dont like the interface
4.Crashes
5.More people use widows
6.Seems slower than windows...
7.As said before , the price...

1. Bullshit; Maybe you need to learn how to use a real OS? ;)

2. That may be so, however, there are many alternatives for software. (Not to mention, that Microsoft just loves Office X :D)

3. Ok..

4. :lol: Windows crashes on most computers everyday! OS X seperates its programs from the OS where the whole system does not shut down, also it includes the nifty feature "Force Quit" that closes the program and allows you to return to your OS.

5. And? The recently released OS X is now compatible with network printers, and files. What's the problem?

6. Doubtful.

7. Not all things in life are free.

4play
04-21-2004, 10:29 PM
4. Windows crashes on most computers everyday! OS X seperates its programs from the OS where the whole system does not shut down, also it includes the nifty feature "Force Quit" that closes the program and allows you to return to your OS.

windows does exactly the same its just the mac os is designed for specfic hardware. if mac had to run on bog standard x86 hardware then im sure it would crash alot more often then windows.

the latest mac os also uses openbsd's kernel and im pretty sure alot fo the gnu apps will run on mac but i have never really looked into it.

C.H.A.O.S
05-26-2008, 12:20 PM
I know that Mac is more stable as it is built on unix. but can you gimme 1 more reason to use Mac over PC ?! while there is over 1 billion reason to use PC.
please watch this Vedio.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk8hxjpnUiw&feature=related

and please answer this question. What can Mac do while PC don't ?! and vice versa.

broomhead
06-12-2008, 03:15 AM
the only valid points i've come across against macs are the price, which considering what you are getting is worth it and not much gaming. people whining about games being too expensive on mac are being ridiculous, we are a file sharing community right? who pays for their games anyway. if i want to play games i download them and crack them, and if they are windows only, i boot into windblows for a little bit and play a game.

Kallileo
06-15-2008, 10:21 PM
I don't use a Mac because I can't afford it... ;(
If i could afford it, of course i'd buy it! It's simply the best! :D

tX
06-16-2008, 01:54 AM
I built my own PC, so I'm not supposed to install mac on it anyway

As far as gaming goes, cracked games can't really play multiplayer. On the CoD series, you could play on cracked servers, but those suck. On the BF series, you couldn't play at all (except LANs) and WoW is uncrackable
Took a look at the specifications on iMac and Mac Pro. They have decent graphics, but damn, they're expensive

Another thing I don't like about macs is the way they're advertised. "OMG Macs are cooler than PC's". I seriously don't care about how 'cool' my computer is, and Macs are really PC's (Personal Computer?) so I don't know why they say they're not. All their ads are Windows bashing, and not really promoting their own product as much

coolfella
07-08-2008, 03:06 PM
I'm a Mac user since the early 90's and own a couple of them (PPC ones). I might move to a high end hackintosh (foolish to use a Mac Pro just for p2p, running boinic clients) and a proper one at work.

markupmaster
07-08-2008, 03:25 PM
I've never seen the need to switch over to Mac. Windows has always been fine for me. It's like they always say "Don't fix it if it ain't Broke" .

:)

Dr.Horrible
07-22-2008, 09:02 AM
I don't use one but my girlfriend does. We went to many pc shops to buy some software or games and they all sold macbooks but NONE had mac software - but ALL had windows software. I think that is one of the main reasons I will never use one.

tryambaka
07-22-2008, 09:42 AM
Itīs easy, I use a lot of imcompatible softwares in mac os.. But someday i will try mac os with dual boot..

mbucari1
07-22-2008, 09:45 AM
Upgradability/price for me. Like many others, I built my PC for a lot less than I would have paid for a retail equivalent and a HELL of a lot less than mac. I also just recently paid $160 to upgrade my old 7950GT to a 9600GT.

Also, and I know it's been said many times, software availability. God knows how many little utilities I use for oh so many things. Almost all of them are exclusively windows. And don't give me that "equal substitute" bullshit. The fact is that we all have software that we just love and would feel empty without. I have ubuntu on one of my laptops (that set me back about $400 :)) and used to run it on my pc. The reason I no longer run it on my pc is because so many of the apps that I'm married to don't run well enough in wine and don't have an acceptable substitute. I tried to ajust. Used Amarok instead of winamp. Used Pan instead of newsleecher. Used several bullshit media players instead of MPC. etc, etc, etc. Soon enough there were too many concessions; I reinstalled windows.

BTW, I realize that I'm comparing windows to linux, but the point is that what may be amazing applications for some are not necessarily acceptable substitutes for others.

Cabalo
07-22-2008, 01:06 PM
@mbucari1: wise words were spoken.

nikita
07-31-2008, 10:23 PM
for me because it is expensive, it is not good for games and not encode videos very well.
i also agree with mbucari11.

MEDBEDb
08-04-2008, 05:03 AM
They're quiet, take lot less space than pcs, the design is great, and with proper hands and head using stuff like darwin and XCode 3 you can make a really nice thing out of mac! and they kick ass, no pc can be compared to them ... using paralels desktop or vmware, u can add some win or nix os'es, run apps directly through Crossover v7.0.2 app ... also there are plenty of games and great mac software available ... so yes, id chose a mac...

http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/picture.php?albumid=161&pictureid=7808 (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/picture.php?albumid=161&pictureid=7807)

outfromdeep
08-04-2008, 07:06 AM
They're quiet, take lot less space than pcs, the design is great, and with proper hands and head using stuff like darwin and XCode 3 you can make a really nice thing out of mac! and they kick ass, no pc can be compared to them ... using paralels desktop or vmware, u can add some win or nix os'es, run apps directly through Crossover v7.0.2 app ... also there are plenty of games and great mac software available ... so yes, id chose a mac...

http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/picture.php?albumid=161&pictureid=7808 (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/picture.php?albumid=161&pictureid=7807)

:O:lol: