PDA

View Full Version : Usergroups

SuperJude™
03-13-2003, 10:47 PM
I noticed that we have a few usergroups here, mostly concerning members and a couple concerning peoples functions on the board.

So I thought about it and here it is:

I think there should be a seperate usergroup for those people who op the chatroom. Follow my logic here. Not that we need anymore usergroups randomly or every lamer out there will want their own usergroup.

Simpy that despite what some people think about chat, we really do spend a decent amount of time answering k-lite related questions, and we are all aware that how we treat these people reflects on the board as well as on k-lite itself and I have to say the ops do a very thorough job of both answering questions about k-lite and answering questions about the board.

I know there has been support for us (just look at the links) and this is not a big issue.

Just something I noticed and it got me thinking about it.

Sorry if this should have been done in PM, but really I also think it should be open for discussion.

List of Ops (besides NikkiD since she is also a Global Moderator -go girl!).

[4731571]
Romeo187
Skweeky
Rat Faced
Razz
XeroXed
ProwL418
SuperJude

Just a thought of course.

-SJ™

J'Pol
03-13-2003, 10:50 PM
Forgive my ignorance, it genuine, I'm not being obtuse. What's an op.

SuperJude™
03-13-2003, 10:52 PM
Sorry an op is a channel operator.

Much like a mod or admin here.

:)

-SJ™

DataMore
03-13-2003, 10:59 PM
I don't see why not.
I think it would even be more organized that way and it would inform people too. :)

edit: I think VB will be kind enough to do it. :D

J'Pol
03-13-2003, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by SuperJude™@13 March 2003 - 23:52
Sorry an op is a channel operator.

Much like a mod or admin here.

-SJ™
It's a chat thing, sorry I never use that.

However if anyone spends their time and effort in helping the forum then I say, why not give them some recognition.

Go on, you know it makes sense.

lunatacs
03-13-2003, 11:21 PM
this has nothing to do with the fact your on the list too :D ( last one on your list)

ofcourse not.

i see your point, credit should be given.

cheers

jetje
03-13-2003, 11:54 PM
The fact is that the groups on this board are there for giving people rights in here.
Probably comes from a recent created new group database crew, some people working on the movie database. We needed to give those people an additional right so that they can work on the same topic.
For setting same rights to persons you create groups. Administrators-Global moderators etc...
Not for recognitioning them. So it has nothing to do with that...

Although i think i can follow -SJ™ idea, i don't think that is the purpose of making a new group.

For recognition is best to make a same unique sig to use for all.

But maybe we have to take this to teamchat see what the other mod and admins think of the suggestion. B)

SuperJude™
03-14-2003, 02:20 AM
lunatacs- Nah I got my 5 stars and all that but it means little to me really. I never stick that in anybodies face. When I go to a new board I usually check out user groups, moderating team, that kind of stuff and a lot of new IRC or javachat users would be better helped if they knew what that @ symbol meant honestly.

:):):)

Did get the sense of humor of course.

jetje- Thanks. That's all I'm asking. It's just a suggestion but a legitimate one.

-SJ™

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
03-14-2003, 03:09 AM
:D You know how I feel about this.And yes....I think IRC should have one. :D

tilen76
03-14-2003, 02:01 PM
Like jetje already said, usergroups are created in order to give those members additional rights on the board. For instance, the Database Crew has its own Room (and an additional account - k-lite.tk), which is seen only by the Database crew and all the Admins and Mods of course. This is where we work on the database, without other members seeing us (or even spamming our topics).

The #KLchat room is somehow recognised as an official IRC room for this board, by having its own link above and all the ops coming from this board. It is still not a part of the board though. Therefore I don't see why would there be a need for an extra member's group.

Don't get me wrong, you should get some sort of credit for moderating the room and all. I'm there quite a lot and I think you're doing a great job.

But there is one thing that comes to my mind:

We all know (the regulars) that the #KLchat room has been on 4 different servers in the last month or so. When that happened, we used this board to regroup.
We also remember the TRX accident. When that happened, we used other boards and IRC to regroup.

In case something happens again (hopefully not), you should have your own room on the board to discuss things. You could also meet there to exchange #Klchat related information (kicked, banned people, op nomiations, ...). You actually have to be present at the same time on IRC to talk. With you guys having this room, you could exchange information much more easily.

This is why I'm for the idea.

Just my 2 cents

;)

Long live the K-Lite forum and the #KLchat room!

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
03-14-2003, 02:17 PM
;) I don't think it should be a select few either.It should be members that want that in their title,what they are most into.They can only have one.I brought this up months ago and will find the thread.

Long live MusicWorld. :pirate:

Icey
03-14-2003, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by FuNkY CaPrIcOrN@14 March 2003 - 15:17
Long live MusicWorld. :pirate:
DITTO :D

Skweeky
03-15-2003, 04:43 PM
I don't think there should be an extra usergroup, but I like tilens proposal.

The problem is that we often get newbies in the chat who want an immediate answer to their question. Ofcourse everyone tries to help those people as much as possible, but sometimes they have questions about new developments and all and often we just can't answer those questions.
It would be nice to have more communication between the board and the chat........... :)

Knuckles187
03-15-2003, 05:52 PM
TY made alot of sense... i mean when we moved from Qnet to .. gamesnet.. we arranged a meeting point should the same thign happen again...

so the board would be as goodeer place as any
here's another scenario...

a certain troublesoem member we'll call him 'SS'*

causes trouble in the irc.. and he gets a banning..
he then immaturely! posts ' i was banned from klchat why?!?!?! '

so afetr you ban somebody you put a post in the klchat room... (viewable by the klchat ops and mods and admins ...)

so say.. i banned 'ss' and rat_raced comes online and sees the post he can refer to the Log's and the information provided in a 'ban' post made by the banning operator..

it sounds good but either way im easy..
also when we are helping with problems in regard to the klchat room althought EVERYONES opinions are valid it still looks nice for people if they get hlpe from 'klchat operator'

Tom.

* this has no bearing to any reali life person.... ;)

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
03-15-2003, 06:20 PM
:P IRC chat think they going to get member titles before us?There is 2 chats now. :P

:pirate: Long Live MusicWorld!!! :pirate:

DataMore
03-15-2003, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by FuNkY CaPrIcOrN@15 March 2003 - 18:20
:P IRC chat think they going to get member titles before us?There is 2 chats now. :P
:blink: Where is the Musicworld chat?! :blink:

Shinigami_[R.I.P.]
03-15-2003, 06:29 PM
In Soulseek

DataMore
03-15-2003, 06:31 PM
:D SoulSick? That wasn't made to chat, was it? :huh:

Shinigami_[R.I.P.]
03-15-2003, 06:33 PM
Well, you can chat anyway. If you want a link to it, check out the music room or PM FC :D

DataMore
03-15-2003, 06:41 PM
Most of all the other P2P software have a chat too, but I don't think it's meant for everyone to join in. Just the ones who use their software. ;)

:D I think FC is just obsessed with SoulSick. :P

Chilly
03-15-2003, 06:44 PM
I just cant get through to Soulseek, i have tried and tried but it says Page cannot be found or Action

Canceled. :( Dont no why, might be a problem with my browser :unsure:

Icey
03-15-2003, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by DataMore@15 March 2003 - 19:41
:D I think FC is just obsessed with SoulSick. :P
i can't blame the guy :lol:

Razz
03-17-2003, 12:32 PM
I had the same problem with soulseek i cant get on the site but Tilen76 was kind enought to DCC me the app thru irc so i could use soulseek.

Now i do think that this is a good idea about a seperate room to put ban reports etc for irc ops i cant remember the number of times that i have gone online and then i would say hey what's x done and me being the only op actually there sometimes it is hard and after all the #klchat is part of the board as it is the chatroom for the board and k-lite.
Now i see where FC is coming from but in the soulseek room there are no ops so therefore no banning, kicking etc so you do not really need to have a method of reporting these things.

Now i am not saying this simply because i want recognition, no way even on the irc channel i remove my op sign (@) upon login as it promotes chat more when your not flying the @, however i can still do all of the op commands thru chanserv and the bot :P

Skweeky
03-17-2003, 02:58 PM
Well, as I said before, I like the idea of a place to discuss these kind of things. Indeed ban rapports would come in handy sometimes....
But maybe we should think about the disavantages too.
It would take more bandwith from the board ,and most important, issues that can be solved in the chatroom (I mean , we do have the /onotice command) could be fought out on the board.
I'm sure no one wants that again (remember k4l, no no??)....
Anyway, I don't think we need another usergroup, chat is linked to the board, but it doesn't really has anything to do with it.... :)

Knuckles187
03-17-2003, 05:40 PM
http://sr20.net/bunny.jpg

SuperJude™
03-18-2003, 06:06 PM
Well the only thing that bugs me in all this is that you know what? New members who join this board certainly think that the chat has to do with the board and k-lite. Nobody who goes to chat can tell me different cause it's true.

How many "are you the developer" questions have we all heard? I mean we have a good crew and I have found myself browsing the Developement section numerous times trying to find answers for obscure questions.

Hey we all do that no matter what, cause we like the products and the people who make it.

Thing is though, I really wish we had better lines of communication from board/developers and chat.

A lot fo questions get asked like "when is the new version coming out" or questions about the board and the fact is, other than NikkiD, I don't see any of the Admins or Mods in chat anymore, and really if it wasn't for Sarkie being there sometimes, I myself would be lost when it comes to certain questions.

I only thought of the UserGroup thing as a way to keep things tight and coherent, but if that is not going to happen then I really would like some way to keep the ops aware of things pertinant to k-lite. I mean the name of the chatroom IS #KLchat right?

-SJ™