PDA

View Full Version : Any Way To Restore Inf Files?

tesco
04-20-2004, 11:44 PM
Hey, my friend got a new mouse, and hes having problem getting it to install. its a logitech wheel mouse optical. we have tried installing a few different driver versions, and the windows drivers just arent there which is the problem i think...

he said that a long time ago he deleted his INF files to gain space, as was recomended in a guide online somewhere. so i checkedc the folder and sure enough theres only 15 files in the folder.

can anyone tell me how we can restore those files?

this is what ive tried:

sfc /scannow
installing from safemode
last known good configuration
updating chipset drivers
and my latest attempt was to copy the files from the xp cd, theyy were named .in_ instead of .inf, so i had to rename them, which was simple 'cause i used command to do every file at once. then i restarted but it still cant find any drivers.

in device manager it shows USB mouse as an unknown device, i try to update drivers and it says windows cannot find any drivers for this device.

it connects through USB, and his operating system is windows xp pro. his usb ports are onboard, and the board is the asus a7n8x.

help would be appreciated.

tesco
04-21-2004, 01:10 PM
bump bump!!!!!!!

KazaaBoy
04-22-2004, 04:23 AM
What you should do is uninstall the software for the mouse and everything that came with it and don't use the mouse for now. Try and find a copy of the .INF that he deleted and find out where it was before it was deleted. Microsoft website always has very good documentations of problems like these. Install the .INF where it was before and restart windows. Then try to install the mouse software and the mouse.

If it doesn't work, re-install Windows XP.

If that doesn't work, try and find a software that finds problems like these which will restore it for you. A software like, Pc Doc Rx OnCall (http://www.pcdocrx.net/cgi-bin/view.cgi/103573mth/download.html) that seeks out damaged or deleted files and replaces them.

tesco
04-22-2004, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by KazaaBoy@21 April 2004 - 23:23
What you should do is uninstall the software for the mouse and everything that came with it and don't use the mouse for now. Try and find a copy of the .INF that he deleted and find out where it was before it was deleted. Microsoft website always has very good documentations of problems like these. Install the .INF where it was before and restart windows. Then try to install the mouse software and the mouse.

If it doesn't work, re-install Windows XP.

If that doesn't work, try and find a software that finds problems like these which will restore it for you. A software like, Pc Doc Rx OnCall (http://www.pcdocrx.net/cgi-bin/view.cgi/103573mth/download.html) that seeks out damaged or deleted files and replaces them.
thanks that sorta helped me, it gave me an idea, thanks it now works.

what I did was, since i copied all the inf files from the windows cd back to the inf folder under C:\windows\inf (he deleted every file in there), I then thought maybe I should try reinstalling the software and maybe now it will work. guess what, it did.

thanks for your help.

KazaaBoy
04-22-2004, 04:43 PM
You're Welcome.