PDA

View Full Version : Old Pc Having Problems After I Installed A 2nd Hd

apunkrockmonk
04-22-2004, 01:09 AM
As soon as I installed the 2nd drive (It was out of an identical 2nd computer that bit the bullet). I believe the computer is a PI or PII 200mhz. Now when it turns on, reguardless of if only the original hd is connected, none are connected, or both are connected, it makes long beeps over and over until you unplug it, it doesn't start up at all.... any idea of whats wrong? And what if anything I can do to fix it?

clocker
04-22-2004, 01:12 AM
Check here (http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm) to decipher your particular brand's beep codes.

apunkrockmonk
04-22-2004, 02:31 AM
could it be a bad psu by any chance? or if thats the problem does nothing happen at all when you try to start it?

delphin460
04-22-2004, 02:49 AM
i suggest you have knocked something when you installed the second drive

check all connectors and cable's to make sure they are all secure

check and see if all you pci , isa and agp cards are seated correctly, sometimes they creep up and are not sitting right

i assume you have checked the master / slave settings on both drives

bigdawgfoxx
04-22-2004, 03:17 AM
Yeah, check master and slave and reset CMOS will prob help.

gungrave
04-22-2004, 04:19 AM
check all the wires make sure there in full.

do u get any errors or any thing?

delphin460
04-22-2004, 04:44 AM
Originally posted by gungrave@22 April 2004 - 04:19

are you obsessed with answering every post you read even when the exact same answer is already there

check all connectors and cable's to make sure they are all secure

check and see if all you pci , isa and agp cards are seated correctly, sometimes they creep up and are not sitting right

gungrave
04-22-2004, 05:09 AM
Originally posted by delphin460+22 April 2004 - 04:44--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (delphin460 @ 22 April 2004 - 04:44)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-gungrave@22 April 2004 - 04:19

are you obsessed with answering every post you read even when the exact same answer is already there

check all connectors and cable&#39;s to make sure they are all secure

[/b][/quote]
no i just wanted 700 posts :rolleyes:

tesco
04-22-2004, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by gungrave+22 April 2004 - 00:09--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (gungrave @ 22 April 2004 - 00:09)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by delphin460@22 April 2004 - 04:44
<!--QuoteBegin-gungrave@22 April 2004 - 04:19

check all connectors and cable&#39;s to make sure they are all secure

no i just wanted 700 posts :rolleyes: [/b][/quote]
:lol:

apunkrockmonk
04-23-2004, 03:48 AM
Computer is at my gfs house... I haven&#39;t had a chance to go back there, I will be going back saturday. You must&#39;ve imagined how embarrised I was when I popped in the drive and it wouldn&#39;t boot again... not to mention I had to leave right then so I couldn&#39;t really do anything about it. Thanks for the help, I&#39;ll tell you how everything goes.

Edit: Will I have a hard time figuring out how to reset the CMOS.... she definately doesn&#39;t have any instruction manuals or anything.

Chewie
04-24-2004, 01:49 PM
If you don&#39;t see the video BIOS display before the beeps, then remove and reseat the video card.
If you do see the video BIOS display, remove and reseat the RAM.

The beeps are a code. Go to the BIOS manufacturer&#39;s site (they put a sticker on the BIOS chip) and check their error codes.