PDA

View Full Version : Why Is It Ok For Some?

vidcc
04-22-2004, 05:45 PM
story (http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/allnews/tm_objectid=14168783%26method=full%26siteid=50143%26headline=fury%2das%2du%2ds%2d%2dtv%2dshows%2dprincess%2ddiana%2ddying-name_page.html)

This is a report about "outrage" at pictures of Princess Diana in the wreakage of the car being shown in a documentary.

Personally i don't see why after all these years we are still being shown the images, perhaps it's just a time filler.
I didn't know Diana personally so although i wasn't happy about her death it didn't affect me one way or the other any more than hearing of the death of john doe that lived down the road.

This post is not about the events rather why is there "outrage" when pictures of Diana are show on Tv...but not when they show "ordinary" people...why is one acceptable and not the other?

DanB
04-22-2004, 05:53 PM
I saw this on the news last night and I was in two minds when i saw the story.

Firstly I thought, no way that should be aired, raking up bad memories for the two young Prince's.

Then secondly I thought, well there are so many conspiracy theories flying around about what actually happened it wouyld be good to know.

I heard that first of all Princess Di was walking about after the accident and then pronounced DOA.

I guess its all about what the tv companies consider to be in public interest.

Rat Faced
04-22-2004, 08:01 PM
I dont agree with it.

However, i wouldnt agree with it whoever was involved. Including showing those dead in battle, car crashes etc etc etc. The families of those involved in any tragedy, and those others affected dont deserve to have the scum of the press and TV drag through their lives.

I wont try and fight a losing battle on this... she is dead.

Unfortunatly the popularity of her is such that all these years later, the press are still hounding her.

RIP

J'Pol
04-22-2004, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by Rat Faced@22 April 2004 - 21:01
I dont agree with it.

However, i wouldnt agree with it whoever was involved.
I agree.

Of interest to the public is not the same as, in the public interest.

j2k4
04-22-2004, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by J'Pol@22 April 2004 - 14:15

Downright pithy there, old sod, and well-put. ;)

Please amend the punctuation to reflect the depth of wisdom contained in the words, eh? :)

Biggles
04-22-2004, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Rat Faced@22 April 2004 - 20:01

Unfortunatly the popularity of her is such that all these years later, the press are still hounding her.

RIP
I had little time for her when she was alive, but wished her no ill will. A little dignity for her and Dodi's families would not go amiss.

Any future televisual investigation of this matter should be kicked into touch unless it has genuine evidence of non-accidental death.

I think the press resented her death as they had only really started to destroy her. She spoiled their fun by dying. The Sun in particular was ghastly in the way it reviled her one day and was toadying the next; quickly realising being consistent = zero sales. (and probably having to leave the country :lol: )

j2k4
04-22-2004, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by Biggles+22 April 2004 - 16:10--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Biggles @ 22 April 2004 - 16:10)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Rat Faced@22 April 2004 - 20:01

RIP
I had little time for her when she was alive, but wished her no ill will. A little dignity for her and Dodi&#39;s families would not go amiss.

Any future televisual investigation of this matter should be kicked into touch unless it has genuine evidence of non-accidental death.

I think the press resented her death as they had only really started to destroy her. She spoiled their fun by dying. The Sun in particular was ghastly in the way it reviled her one day and was toadying the next; quickly realising being consistent = zero sales. (and probably having to leave the country :lol: ) [/b][/quote]
To resurrect an extremely tired &#39;60s phrase-

Right On&#33; :D

Biggles
04-22-2004, 10:27 PM
:lol:

Haven&#39;t heard that for a while.

Ahh, memories of a mis-spent youth :afro:

J'Pol
04-22-2004, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by j2k4+22 April 2004 - 23:00--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (j2k4 @ 22 April 2004 - 23:00)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-J&#39;Pol@22 April 2004 - 14:15

Downright pithy there, old sod, and well-put. ;)

Please amend the punctuation to reflect the depth of wisdom contained in the words, eh? :) [/b][/quote]
Would that I could, but the apple controleth me.

Curse you, oh sweetest of fruits.

It is scant wonder that you are used to signify the temptation of Eve and the fall from grace of mankind.

Every other fruit was available, but no, we had to have the apple.

J'Pol
04-22-2004, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by Biggles@22 April 2004 - 23:27

Ahh, memories of a mis-spent youth :afro:
You&#39;re lucky

I had a mis-spelt yoof. :blink:

sArA
04-22-2004, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Biggles@22 April 2004 - 22:10

I had little time for her when she was alive, but wished her no ill will. A little dignity for her and Dodi&#39;s families would not go amiss.

[/quote]
I pretty much agree here, and I don&#39;t actually see how the pictures could add value to the programme beyond the new&#33; never seen before&#33; exclusive&#33; use of these images.

Therefore their use was gratuitous, and rather tasteless...but if the pictures existed, then it was inevitable that they would surface at some point.

Also, they were shown in the US and I would imagine that most Americans do not have emotional attachment to her, unlike a significant number of Brits (I was not so enamoured)

sArA
04-22-2004, 11:27 PM
Oh...and my youth is still on occasion, able to be mis-spent ;)

Biggles
04-22-2004, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by J&#39;Pol+22 April 2004 - 22:57--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (J&#39;Pol @ 22 April 2004 - 22:57)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Biggles@22 April 2004 - 23:27

Ahh, memories of a mis-spent youth&nbsp; :afro:
You&#39;re lucky

I had a mis-spelt yoof. :blink: [/b][/quote]
This can be a terrible handicap

However, Janet Street Porter&#39;s teeth and society are largely to blame. :blink:

Biggles
04-22-2004, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by sara5564@22 April 2004 - 23:27
Oh...and my youth is still on occasion, able to be mis-spent ;)
:angry: No Fair&#33;

Mine is but a memory (although the bits that are retrievable I hold with a certain degree of fondness :rolleyes: )

Alex H
04-23-2004, 04:08 AM
Originally posted by Biggles@22 April 2004 - 22:10
I think the press resented her death as they had only really started to destroy her. She spoiled their fun by dying. The Sun in particular was ghastly in the way it reviled her one day and was toadying the next; quickly realising being consistent = zero sales. (and probably having to leave the country :lol: )
Yeah, celebities claim to be constantly hounded by the press, but when they hound them to death it does make the papers look bad.

I&#39;m still in my youth and unable to rememeber bits of it. Must have been good then&#33;

3RA1N1AC
04-23-2004, 06:58 PM
what a curse it must be, to be grossly overpaid celebrities by inheritance and/or marriage with few responsibilities but to greet foreign dignitaries, sign a few autographs, and spend loads of their loyal subjects&#39; money on extravagant gilded crap. it&#39;s enough to turn any princess on to the deadly thrills of illegal street-racing.

j2k4
04-23-2004, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by 3RA1N1AC@23 April 2004 - 12:58
what a curse it must be, to be grossly overpaid celebrities by inheritance and/or marriage with few responsibilities but to greet foreign dignitaries, sign a few autographs, and spend loads of their loyal subjects&#39; money on extravagant gilded crap. it&#39;s enough to turn any princess on to the deadly thrills of illegal street-racing.
3RA1N1AC-

You are a paragon of worldly and jaded cynicism. ;)

Well done. :D