PDA

View Full Version : American Football Player

j2k4
04-23-2004, 05:07 PM
Pat Tillman, who gave up a multi-million dollar contract playing football for the Arizona Cardinals in order to "give something back to my country", by joining the Army Rangers to fight against terrorism in Afghanistan, has been killed in action.

R.I.P.

vidcc
04-23-2004, 05:33 PM
this is indeed sad news and my sympathy goes out to the family.... however his loss is no greater than the loss of all the others.

Edit: I have to be honest here and say thay i am not a great sports fan and before i read the post i had never heard of this man.

j2k4
04-23-2004, 07:00 PM
Granted, the fact of his celebrity being the ostensible reason his passing is of any other than ordinary note, he does stand as one who gave up a lot in order that he might serve his country, and having foregone a lucrative career, he was, fairly or not, used to exemplify the sacrifice every one of our volunteers makes.

I make no distinction between losing him or any other of our military; they are all heroes to me. ;)

Rat Faced
04-23-2004, 07:52 PM
RIP

Much as i disagree with what is/did happen(ing) there, I have to admire any man that fights for what he believes in. Especially one that gave up so much in order to do it.

Make no bones, I respect everyone over there fighting. I just dont believe in the cause, and sympathise all the more with the families because of this.

If i believed, i'd say "A High Price".

As it is, I say "A High Price and such a Waste of good men". There are few enough of those around these days it seems :(

BigBank_Hank
04-23-2004, 08:03 PM
R.I.P to another solider dying for believing in the cause. He is a hero in my eyes. :(

@RF: Respect

MalaDzen
04-24-2004, 03:06 AM
He shouldnt have gone there, then he wouldnt have been killed simple as that...

I dont feel sympathy for him, only for his family. He took the risks, one of which was a possibility of being killed. It was his choice

BigBank_Hank
04-24-2004, 03:14 AM
Originally posted by MalaDzen@23 April 2004 - 22:06

I dont feel sympathy for him, only for his family. He took the risks, one of which was a possibility of being killed. It was his choice
That's a shame that you can't even show some kind of respect for someone that died trying to do what he thought was best.

That's like saying if someone was killed in an automobile accident well you shouldn't have been driving its you own fault.

MalaDzen
04-24-2004, 03:18 AM
No its not like sayin that AT ALL !!

He went into a place where he KNEW very well, people would be TRYING to kill him all the fucking time..

theres a difference

j2k4
04-24-2004, 05:24 AM
Hank-

You and I may believe the point worth arguing, but, rest assured, such is not the case with MalaDzen, who has different ideas.

Better to just drop it than continue in this vein, I think. ;)

BigBank_Hank
04-24-2004, 06:37 AM
That's why I didn't follow up my point.

Every time I would try I would type the whole thing up, then read it before posting it, then I'd keep editing it so it wouldn't be a blatant :flame: Finally I just said ah forget about it.

Rat Faced
04-24-2004, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by MalaDzen@24 April 2004 - 03:06

If you wish to argue the politics, please start another thread.

This man gave up a good life to fight for that in which he believed.

He was not one of those that was willing to shout from the street, but not willing to put his own life at risk for what he claimed he believed..I think the US saying is "Chicken Hawk".

When you do the same thing, then you may have the right to criticise his actions. When/if you do that though, the wish to do so will have gone, as you will then understand.

Please leave the politics out of a thread that is dedicated to him in sympathy.

If you have nothing good to say about the dead, then the least you can do is not badmouth them while there are people grieving, just dont post.

Its a thing called respect.

Not just for the person in question; but for those that may feel differently to yourself, in addition to the Family, Friends and Associates.

J'Pol
04-24-2004, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Rat Faced+24 April 2004 - 11:02--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Rat Faced @ 24 April 2004 - 11:02)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-MalaDzen@24 April 2004 - 03:06

If you wish to argue the politics, please start another thread.

This man gave up a good life to fight for that in which he believed.

He was not one of those that was willing to shout from the street, but not willing to put his own life at risk for what he claimed he believed..I think the US saying is "Chicken Hawk".

When you do the same thing, then you may have the right to criticise his actions. When/if you do that though, the wish to do so will have gone, as you will then understand.

Please leave the politics out of a thread that is dedicated to him in sympathy.

If you have nothing good to say about the dead, then the least you can do is not badmouth them while there are people grieving, just dont post.

Its a thing called respect.

Not just for the person in question; but for those that may feel differently to yourself, in addition to the Family, Friends and Associates. [/b][/quote]
Hear, Hear.

Biggles
04-24-2004, 11:33 AM
Likewise, I think discussion of whether it was a wise choice or not to go to Afghanistan is best left to another debate.

The need to tackle one of the nerve centres of AQ is accepted world wide by all governments and has little to with broader ME poltical issues.

If anything the continued problems in Afghanistan are being overshadowed by events elsewhere and many may have forgotten that lives are continuely being lost in there - where the real war against terrorist organisations is taking place.

Whether the cause this gentlemen died for has been effectively articulated by polticians is neither here nor there. He gave up his life to try and prevent AQ repeating attacks in the US and elsewhere. His death simply and starkly highlights that it will be a long and costly struggle.

RIP

brotherdoobie
04-24-2004, 05:35 PM
RIP

Peace brotherdoobie

Samurai
04-24-2004, 06:22 PM
R.I.P Pat Tillman

Samurai