PDA

View Full Version : Old Pc

kaiweiler
04-23-2004, 11:30 PM
Hey, I did a little mod and made a new place for some old pc parts of mine to live :P
but now, when trying to install windows 98se, it runs the checks and everything is fine, start it with cd-rom support, and run setup, well about 2 minutes into it, i get the regular message saying
"please wait while setup initializes."
"Scanning system registry..."
"Windows setups requires 73"
windows setups requires 73 of what?!?
I had almost all the same parts running ME (garbage) and also XP Pro, so it should be able to run 98se fine...
anyone know what I need 73 of? lol :unsure: :lol:

oh and not sure if this should be in software or hardware, because it won't tell me what I need 73 of!!

peat moss
04-24-2004, 03:19 AM
Kai what? memory , hd space ? :)

kaiweiler
04-24-2004, 03:43 AM
Originally posted by peat moss@23 April 2004 - 23:19
Kai what? memory , hd space ? :)
hhaha I know, it doesnt say!! it just says 73!!
There's 128mb Ram, and only a 5Gb HD, but it ran XP Pro and ME sot ehre's no reason it can't run 98se!

peat moss
04-24-2004, 03:57 AM
I Know I'm teasing have seen it on win 98 setup before can't remember why tho. But FDISK then retry. :) Its like its stuck on a install cycle . I take it you tryed more than once ? :lol:

tesco
04-24-2004, 04:00 AM
try installing me or xp and see if it giv4es a mare explantery error.

peat moss
04-24-2004, 04:35 AM
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@23 April 2004 - 20:00
try installing me or xp and see if it giv4es a mare explantery error.
Good point Rossco have seen that error, can't remember for the life of me how I fixed tho. :lol:

lynx
04-24-2004, 12:17 PM
I think it is disk space.

Although you've physically got enough space I suspect that the bios doesn't recognise drives of that size (not enough address bits). A 5GB drive requires 25 address bits. If your mobo only supports 24 (or less) address bits you only get the difference, which in some cases can end up as low as about 20MB.

The way round it is to get one of the bios modifier patches which you load onto your hd. You don't need one for XP but you certainly do for ME. If you had ME on there first, followed by XP, then XP will almost certainly have removed the patch. Alternatively killdisk and various partition managers can remove it.

Go to the manufacturer's web site and see if the patch is still available.

kaiweiler
04-24-2004, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by lynx@24 April 2004 - 08:17

Although you've physically got enough space I suspect that the bios doesn't recognise drives of that size (not enough address bits). A 5GB drive requires 25 address bits. If your mobo only supports 24 (or less) address bits you only get the difference, which in some cases can end up as low as about 20MB.

The way round it is to get one of the bios modifier patches which you load onto your hd. You don't need one for XP but you certainly do for ME. If you had ME on there first, followed by XP, then XP will almost certainly have removed the patch. Alternatively killdisk and various partition managers can remove it.

Go to the manufacturer's web site and see if the patch is still available.
when I had it running before it had a 30gb drive in it, so I know for a fact it can recognise drives up to at least that size!
@peatmoss, yeah, I've tried many times
@ rossco, I'm never puttin windows ME near my computer again, what a piece of garbage....I'll try fdisk again though

tesco
04-24-2004, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by kaiweiler+24 April 2004 - 09:20--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (kaiweiler @ 24 April 2004 - 09:20)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-lynx@24 April 2004 - 08:17

Although you&#39;ve physically got enough space I suspect that the bios doesn&#39;t recognise drives of that size (not enough address bits). A 5GB drive requires 25 address bits. If your mobo only supports 24 (or less) address bits you only get the difference, which in some cases can end up as low as about 20MB.

The way round it is to get one of the bios modifier patches which you load onto your hd. You don&#39;t need one for XP but you certainly do for ME. If you had ME on there first, followed by XP, then XP will almost certainly have removed the patch. Alternatively killdisk and various partition managers can remove it.

Go to the manufacturer&#39;s web site and see if the patch is still available.
when I had it running before it had a 30gb drive in it, so I know for a fact it can recognise drives up to at least that size&#33;
@peatmoss, yeah, I&#39;ve tried many times
@ rossco, I&#39;m never puttin windows ME near my computer again, what a piece of garbage....I&#39;ll try fdisk again though [/b][/quote]
I meant to put me on just to see if you get the error. if not then format, if you do then hopefully it will be an error that makes more sense than the windows98 error.

or just install Xp...

kaiweiler
04-24-2004, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@24 April 2004 - 10:36
or just install Xp...
on a 5gb HD with 128SD ram?? I don&#39;t think so...
I deleted all partitions, created a new primary dos partition, tried it again, it said it needs something like 7gb to install?&#33;?
So i ran fdisk again, deleted partitions, created new primary dos, then tried to install linux redhat 6.2 and it just boots up and says operating system not found...
have my boot path corect, and have the linux boot disk in, and CD1 in as well
I dunno, maybe i&#39;ll just look for a little bigger HD

Virtualbody1234
04-24-2004, 03:33 PM
Can you give us a full description of all the components that make up this system?

Is the drive detected and configured properly in the BIOS?

Has your copy of Win98se been successfully used before? (Maybe a bad CD?)

Try Win2kpro.

kaiweiler
04-24-2004, 03:37 PM
Alright, I formatted, removed all partitions, created a new primary dos partition, and installed Redhat 6.2, which works fine now
and linux is actually what I originally wanted on it, so problem is pretty much solved B)
Thanks guys though

now I just need to figure out how to work linux...lol

lynx
04-24-2004, 05:40 PM
Why Redhat 6.2? Even Redhat 9 is coming to the end of it&#39;s support life.

6.2 had so many bugs in it I found it almost unworkable. RH9 (it&#39;s on suprnova, 3cd&#39;s) still has free bug fixes at the moment. RH Enterprise 3 AS is also on suprnova, but you can&#39;t get bug fixes without a license key so it&#39;s not such a good bet.

kaiweiler
04-25-2004, 02:48 AM
6.2 was just a retail version I had layin around, so I gave it a shot....