PDA

View Full Version : I Cannont Start Up My Computer

silent VI
04-25-2004, 10:01 AM
i turned it off because it crashed during a game now i get an error

we apoligize for that windows could not start up succecfuly. because of a recent hardware or software change

then theres these options

safemode
safe with networking
safe with command prombt
last know good configureation
start normaly

but no matter what i choose it just restarts again.... this really sucks some1 please help.

i can hit the f8 key to get all of those options but i dont know what to do with them

silent VI
04-25-2004, 10:17 AM
:( i think i broke it

delphin460
04-25-2004, 10:18 AM
what version of windows

computer spec's

what game was u playing when it crashed

more info plz

silent VI
04-25-2004, 10:26 AM
Video: Geforce 4 Mx
Mouse: Mouse, silver wheel 1689
Power Supply: PS, 250 watt
Modem: Modem, v.92 56K 1759
LAN: LAN, 10/100 integrated
Chassis: Chassis, Nexgen 2 main chassis frame
CPU Fan Type: Fan, H/S Athlon 2600+
Speaker: Speaker, SP-30A (amplified) 1691
FDD Model: FDD, D353M3D
ODD1: CDRW, Nexgen 48X (48X24X48) Samsung
Chassis Assembly: Chassis assembly, Nexgen 2 chassis and fixed riveted rt panel
MB: MB, AU31/1.3 462P
FDD Button: Button, FDD Nexgen 2 blk (FDD 2151-FIC)
Memory: Mem, DDR-RAM 256MB (Max. 2GB) its 512 now
HDD: HDD, 80GB 5400rpm
Keyboard Model: KB, premium black KB-0108,PS/2 port KBEM25030108
CPU: CPU,ATHLON XP 2600 462P 333FSB 512K

Windows xp

i was playing lineage beta but this has happend before i restart and no problem, not this time =(. The game it crashed because my system was running low on virtual memory its happend a couple of times and i have never had this problem.. anything eles i can post to help?

delphin460
04-25-2004, 10:58 AM
well , if you cant start it in safe mode , and it just restarts , then im afraid it format time , its what you get when you run beta testing software

obviously that software has an issue with memory problem , or have you been experiencing virtual mem issues with other stuff

there are a couple of restore / repair options available to you that you could try

try f8 and boot from last good comfig

there is a repair facility on the xp cd , but i have never used it

cant realy be much more help than to suggest the format option mate

edit , oh btw have you overclocked your comp , just thinking it may have something to do with the mem issue

silent VI
04-25-2004, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by delphin460@25 April 2004 - 10:58

there is a repair facility on the xp cd , but i have never used it

cant realy be much more help than to suggest the format option mate

edit , oh btw have you overclocked your comp , just thinking it may have something to do with the mem issue
so i didn't break it? :D i just format it and thats it, it's fixed? :D :D or should i try that fix thing on the xp cd first ? and yea i havnt overclocked anything

delphin460
04-25-2004, 11:34 AM
nah , just format and reinstall fresh xp mate , best bet , lol and stop playing beta stuff

if it continues after the reinstall then its a hardware issue , like buggy ram , or bad psu or motherboard

silent VI
04-25-2004, 12:02 PM
nah , just format and reinstall fresh xp mate , best bet , lol and stop playing beta stuff

:) that reliefs a lot of stress i can quit chain smoking now..... im already on disc two of formating, i dont keep anything important on my hd anyway so it doesnt bother me at all, thank you for the adivice i would of been staring at this (http://filesharingtalk.com/index.php?act=Online&CODE=listall&sort_key=click) repetivly clicking refresh all night chain smoking and ranting swear words to myself if you hadn't :)

tesco
04-25-2004, 02:26 PM
and to solve those virtual memory problems in the future do this:

right click my computer>properties>click the 'advanced' tab>for performance click settings>click advanced>click change at the bottom.

you will now be at a page looking like this:

http://filesharingtalk.com/sigs/examplevirtualmemory.JPG

click custom size: For initial Size type 300
For maximum Size also type 300
now click set. then go through the long list of OK's, and restart.

Chewie
04-26-2004, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@25 April 2004 - 14:26

right click my computer>properties>click the 'advanced' tab>for performance click settings>click advanced>click change at the bottom.

click custom size:
For initial Size type 300

now click set. then go through the long list of OK's, and restart.
Why set it at 300MB?
You obviously have 256MB but he has 512.
The debate over pagefile size and whether Windows should play with it has been raging for years; when Windows was changing the size all the time, everyone was saying it shouldn't do that so you should change it to a constant size. That meant people argued over the actual size to set, but eventually it appeared knowledgable geeks found the most efficient use was at 2.5x the RAM installed... which is how XP handles it. The advantage of letting XP control the size is that if more is needed it'll up it and tell you about it. I have only seen this twice when I only had 128MB installed.
He should either set it to 768MB, as Windows would, or leave Windows managing it.

tesco
04-26-2004, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by Chewie UK+25 April 2004 - 21:08--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Chewie UK &#064; 25 April 2004 - 21:08)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ROSSCO_2004@25 April 2004 - 14:26

right click my computer>properties>click the &#39;advanced&#39; tab>for performance click settings>click advanced>click change at the bottom.

click custom size:

now click set. then go through the long list of OK&#39;s, and restart.
Why set it at 300MB?
You obviously have 256MB but he has 512.
The debate over pagefile size and whether Windows should play with it has been raging for years; when Windows was changing the size all the time, everyone was saying it shouldn&#39;t do that so you should change it to a constant size. That meant people argued over the actual size to set, but eventually it appeared knowledgable geeks found the most efficient use was at 2.5x the RAM installed... which is how XP handles it. The advantage of letting XP control the size is that if more is needed it&#39;ll up it and tell you about it. I have only seen this twice when I only had 128MB installed.
He should either set it to 768MB, as Windows would, or leave Windows managing it. [/b][/quote]
I dont have 256mb, i have 512mb...either way, what does that have to do with it? if anything id set it lower if I had more ram <_<

the way I see it, the more ram you have, the lwoer you set it, becuase in theory, windows will need less pagefile... i could be wrong though

edit: that screenshot was taken from my old computer anyway, which does happen to have 256mb, but thats irrelevent, both of my computer are set to 300mb, and neither of them receive nagging from windows about virtual memory.

Chewie
04-26-2004, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@26 April 2004 - 02:13
I dont have 256mb, i have 512mb...either way, what does that have to do with it? if anything id set it lower if I had more ram <_<

the way I see it, the more ram you have, the lwoer you set it, becuase in theory, windows will need less pagefile... i could be wrong though

edit: that screenshot was taken from my old computer anyway, which does happen to have 256mb, but thats irrelevent, both of my computer are set to 300mb, and neither of them receive nagging from windows about virtual memory.
It&#39;s not really a case of needing less when you have more RAM because of the way XP utilises the pagefile.
Windows doesn&#39;t just start writing stuff to the pagefile when your RAM is used up, it uses it all the time, putting stuff in there that you might need again later; if you have a program running in the background for a while (as I have for the last three hours), Windows will page the whole program and its memory usage to disk. I&#39;ve seen quite a few people wanting to empty the pagefile completely until all RAM is used up and it&#39;s possible to force Windows to do it but it&#39;s not a good idea as it apparently often makes the system less stable. I&#39;ve also seen people bitching about coming back to NewsbinPro in the morning and it taking ages to do anything because Windows is in essence executing it on disk.
There are loadsa tweaking utils and analysis tools out there and they all recommend 2.5x installed RAM, in common with every :geek: since Win98 came out. This isn&#39;t something I&#39;ve worked out myself (God knows, I wouldn&#39;t have a snowball&#39;s chance in hell of that), just what I found in newsgroups & across the net.

atiVidia
04-26-2004, 04:26 AM
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@25 April 2004 - 09:26

right click my computer>properties>click the &#39;advanced&#39; tab>for performance click settings>click advanced>click change at the bottom.

click custom size: For initial Size type 300
rofl i set 1 gig and also have 1 gig o ram (i prolly dont need much page file space tho lol

silent VI
04-26-2004, 04:44 AM
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@25 April 2004 - 14:26

click custom size:

dude i did that and yea the game wont even run now, do you know what the original settings are because i don&#39;t and i want to change it back

i put it on the sytem manage setting it runs but not as well,

peat moss
04-26-2004, 05:59 AM
Mine is set with 512 mb installed at.

Inital size 768 mb
Maximum size 1536 mb
MIN 2 mb Recommended 766 mb USED 768 mb

EDIT: Silent VI mine is set at default settings.

silent VI
04-26-2004, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by peat moss@26 April 2004 - 05:59
Mine is set with 512 mb installed at.

Inital size 768 mb
Maximum size 1536 mb
MIN 2 mb Recommended 766 mb USED 768 mb

EDIT: Silent VI mine is set at default settings.
:) thank you