PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Eide Devices

Amarjit
04-25-2004, 10:25 AM
I anticipate the components of my next PC to comprise three HDDs and two Optical Drives. I desire for two of the HDDs to utilise the SATA/150 interface, whilst the remainder (Optical and HD drives) to make usage of the Ultra ATA/133 interface. Does that require for my motherboard to support 2 SATA channels and 3 UATA channels?

Many thanks,

Mad Cat
04-25-2004, 11:03 AM
The motherboard should have the SATA so you're fine with that, then 2 IDE channels. Put opticals on one, and the hard drives on the other.

3RA1N1AC
04-25-2004, 06:29 PM
right now, most standard desktop motherboards support 2 SATA drives on 2 SATA channels, and 4 IDE drives on 2 IDE channels. so... yes, you should be able to swing that setup easily, and you'd have room for one more IDE HD on those drive controllers.

if you think you'd ever need more, you'd wanna shell out for a more expensive motherboard (some higher end models come with more channels) or a PCI drive controller card.

Amarjit
04-25-2004, 06:55 PM
What is the procedure involved in connecting two devices to one IDE channel?

ilw
04-25-2004, 07:20 PM
the cables that plug into the ide slots have 2 connectors on them, one for master one for slave, therefore 2 devices can be connected. The devices will have jumpers on the back where you can specify which is master and which is slave.

Amarjit
04-25-2004, 07:24 PM
Thanks, I incidently discovered upon the answer, prior to your response ;) http://www.certance.com/support/kb/tape/idebasic.html