PDA

View Full Version : This True Or Bs?

Bebi
04-26-2004, 08:13 AM
My friend has a max download speed of 600kb/s and mine is 150kb/s but we have the same plan from the same isp he says nomatter what speed your cable is its who you download from but never in my life have I even reached 300kb/s so is this bullshit or am I 1 unlucky pup, btw he is a computer/tv/video/dvd player technical

delphin460
04-26-2004, 08:35 AM
perhaps he has uncapped his modem

james_bond_rulez
04-26-2004, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by Bebi@25 April 2004 - 23:13
My friend has a max download speed of 600kb/s and mine is 150kb/s but we have the same plan from the same isp he says nomatter what speed your cable is its who you download from but never in my life have I even reached 300kb/s so is this bullshit or am I 1 unlucky pup, btw he is a computer/tv/video/dvd player technical
you mean KB/s and not kb/s?

Storm
04-26-2004, 08:40 AM
2 things i can think of:

1)what ur max cable speed is depends on ur neighbourhood........... everybody in the neighbourhood shares the same network, so if more ppl in ur neighbourhood have cable internet, ur speeds will naturally be lower..........

2)there are certain hacks that will up ur cable speed (but down the speeds of others in the neighbourhood)......... how these programs work i dont know, and i dont even know if they still exist (last i heard of them was about 2 years ago)

jetje
04-26-2004, 08:49 AM
It's probably the 1st ;)
There are modem hacks, but a lot of ISP's do bother if you hack them so be careful with the modem hack... Be sure what you do before doing anything i would say. B)

Bebi
04-26-2004, 10:18 AM
I live in a neighbourhood with only 1 other person who has a computer (if they have that hack ill rip them a new...) anyway I doubt they have it so tell me more about this bandwidth hogging prog ;)

jetje
04-26-2004, 10:39 AM
You can also do an online speedtest there are severalls but try to find one in the country your living.
DL speeds can also be a lot different of the programs that you use to dl.
If your friend is using Bittorrent and you Kazaa it will be pretty easy to xplain why he get's a lot better speeds then you.
other things that can cause speed differents are firewalls, routers network cards. So i guess you have to give some specs of your system, software that you run and program that you use to dl (and preferable what your friend uses to dl).
:)

Storm
04-26-2004, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Bebi@26 April 2004 - 11:18
I live in a neighbourhood with only 1 other person who has a computer (if they have that hack ill rip them a new...) anyway I doubt they have it so tell me more about this bandwidth hogging prog ;)
with neighbourhood i meant the area of ppl that share the same cable connection point............ you can prolly call ur ISP and ask how large it is, or how many others have a inet connection in the area..........

Bebi
04-26-2004, 12:32 PM
he uses bittorent I use bittorent, downloading the same file, I dont use kazaa only bittorrent and dc++, I sygate pro firewall always running with msn messenger but I oubt that would steal over 200Kb/s, so I guess he uncapped his modem and not letting on <_<

rr_kingozz
04-26-2004, 01:34 PM
bs

Mullyman
04-26-2004, 01:51 PM
Depends if you are using the same modem....all modems are not the same...in my area everyone is on the same cable link....and the cable company has different modems..someone suggested for me to change to a different brand and when i did my speeds dramatically increased...my friends who still use the old brand have much slower speeds...usually your service provider will tell you they are all the same...but they are full of shit..because there not :devil:

My Speeds:

4.5 megabits per second

Communications 4.5 megabits per second
Storage 550 kilobytes per second
1MB file download 1.9 seconds
Subjective rating Awesome

UcanRock2
04-26-2004, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Mullyman@26 April 2004 - 13:51
Depends if you are using the same modem....all modems are not the same...in my area everyone is on the same cable link....and the cable company has different modems..someone suggested for me to change to a different brand and when i did my speeds dramatically increased...
I tried buying my own "Cable Modem", entered all the correct info, contacted my ISP, and they entered my info.

Worked Great&#33;&#33;&#33;

2 weeks later...the bloody bastards started power surging my modem. Just about fried it

If there would&#39;ve been another choice for fast internet, they&#39;d been history.

shn
04-26-2004, 08:37 PM
My speed is a lot faster than most people on the same plan. Primarirly because the center or whatever they call it is no more than 3 blocks from my house. :)

tesco
04-26-2004, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by UcanRock2+26 April 2004 - 10:34--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (UcanRock2 @ 26 April 2004 - 10:34)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Mullyman@26 April 2004 - 13:51
Depends if you are using the same modem....all modems are not the same...in my area everyone is on the same cable link....and the cable company has different modems..someone suggested for me to change to a different brand and when i did my speeds dramatically increased...
I tried buying my own "Cable Modem", entered all the correct info, contacted my ISP, and they entered my info.

Worked Great&#33;&#33;&#33;

2 weeks later...the bloody bastards started power surging my modem. Just about fried it

If there would&#39;ve been another choice for fast internet, they&#39;d been history. [/b][/quote]
sue them?

harrycary
04-27-2004, 12:52 AM

Yeah whatever... that is not happening.

Electrical current running down your cable line? Never enough to cause damage. The only time enough damaging current goes down a cable line is through a power company accident while working on their grid, or during an electrical storm.

Even if this had occurred, it&#39;s not something that can be controlled by the cable company. A man would literally have to be on the pole outside your house/apartment, directly connecting a power line to your cable line.

Cable modems are all the same as they all have to adhere to standard protocols set forth by the IEEE(Institute of Electrical & Electronic Engineers). Those are the same guys that set the FireWire protocol, Ethernet protocol, USB protocol, etc.

"Uncapping" a modem is so wrong to do. Not only does your ISP monitor your bandwidth(as it is a finite amount), they can and do file charges for "theft of service." It&#39;s no different then stealing electricity.

Cable broadband is a shared bandwidth and you are sharing it with your dad as well as anybody within your local area network. This could be as small as your local neighborhood but usually consists of a larger area.

Be happy with what you&#39;ve got and look forward to day your ISP improves their network enough where those things aren&#39;t an issue.

peace

Mullyman
04-27-2004, 02:57 AM
Quote:Cable modems are all the same as they all have to adhere to standard protocols set forth by the IEEE(Institute of Electrical & Electronic Engineers). Those are the same guys that set the FireWire protocol, Ethernet protocol, USB protocol, etc.

Well maybe in the states there the same...but not in Canada...we have a forum in Canada for cable and internet related problems...and there are cable service personal who help out and they even tell you there is a difference in certain models...when i exchanged my Samsung 100R for a RCA 315 the difference in speed was apparent :devil:

tesco
04-27-2004, 03:03 AM
Originally posted by Mullyman@26 April 2004 - 21:57
Quote:Cable modems are all the same as they all have to adhere to standard protocols set forth by the IEEE(Institute of Electrical & Electronic Engineers). Those are the same guys that set the FireWire protocol, Ethernet protocol, USB protocol, etc.

Well maybe in the states there the same...but not in Canada...we have a forum in Canada for cable and internet related problems...and there are cable service personal who help out and they even tell you there is a difference in certain models...when i exchanged my Samsung 100R for a RCA 315 the difference in speed was apparent :devil:
I have an rca, while it looks plain on the outside, it provides me with good speed. i get just over 20kb/s on a 128k plan :lol: ya i know I gotta upgrade..

Chewie
04-27-2004, 11:40 PM
If you&#39;re on Blueyonder, forget trying to uncap your modem, cos it&#39;s done at their end.

harrycary
04-28-2004, 01:21 AM
Well maybe in the states there the same...but not in Canada

The IEEE does provide standards for equipment sold in Canada.

And what "forum" are you talking about?

The IEEE creates the standards by which the manufacturers, including Samsung and RCA, must adhere to. (and yes these apply to product sold in Canada)

Do some reading at their website and become more informed. www.ieee.org (http://www.ieee.org/portal/index.jsp?pageID=corp_level1&path=about&file=index.xml&xsl=generic.xsl)

BTW, I&#39;m not talking about "problems" I&#39;m talking about fundamental protocols. They don&#39;t just create themselves. Read the fine print of a cable modems&#39; owners manual and you&#39;ll see the protocol by which it must adhere to or it wouldn&#39;t be compatible with the various broadband providers out there.

But, I will admit that these things are constantly changing(damn engineers&#33;).
Witness the change in wireless protocol from 80211.b to 80211.a to 80211.g and I think the next version will be 80210.n.

/all I got or care to give on the subject.