PDA

View Full Version : Silence A Noisy Hd

kaiweiler
04-26-2004, 03:12 PM
I'm sure some or most of you have had a noisy HD before, for me, it is the 30gb in my sig. Well what I wanna know is how you've managed to silence them yet still keep them cool.
After my overclock, I am working towards a now almost silent system, yet my little HD is intent on making a lot of noise.
I was thinking maybe encasing it in foam, but then thought that would most likley also keep the heat in causing the drive to overheat, any of you have a working method of silencing a HD??
other then :music1: ......
:P

delphin460
04-26-2004, 03:21 PM
if you are able to , enable smartdrive in the bios

clocker
04-26-2004, 03:49 PM
K,

I have my HDD mounted on the case floor using rubber isolating feet.
It sits right in front of the 120mm intake fan on the front wall and has a heatpipe cooler attached.

For all intents and purposes it is totaly silent.

wish I had a Seagate...they are much less intrusive than my WD...

kaiweiler
04-26-2004, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by clocker@26 April 2004 - 11:49
K,

It sits right in front of the 120mm intake fan on the front wall and has a heatpipe cooler attached.

hmm, I could manage something like that...
What if part of the noise is the disk spinning inside, not just the vibration?

atiVidia
04-26-2004, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by kaiweiler+26 April 2004 - 14:34--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (kaiweiler @ 26 April 2004 - 14:34)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-clocker@26 April 2004 - 11:49
K,

hmm, I could manage something like that...
What if part of the noise is the disk spinning inside, not just the vibration? [/b][/quote]
lets teach u something:

sound is vibration. anything that can dampen vibration effectively dampens noise to an extent.

kaiweiler
04-26-2004, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by atiVidia@26 April 2004 - 16:09
lets teach u something:

sound is vibration. anything that can dampen vibration effectively dampens noise to an extent.
I know that you fool
TO AN EXTENT, there will still be that small whiring of the spinning disk, that is mostly what I want to eliminate, that&#39;s why I suggested coating it in foam, but finding someway to let heat escape...

atiVidia
04-26-2004, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by kaiweiler+26 April 2004 - 15:20--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (kaiweiler @ 26 April 2004 - 15:20)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-atiVidia@26 April 2004 - 16:09
lets teach u something:

I know that you fool
TO AN EXTENT, there will still be that small whiring of the spinning disk, that is mostly what I want to eliminate, that&#39;s why I suggested coating it in foam, but finding someway to let heat escape... [/b][/quote]
rofl again, that whirling will prolly be under 20db (with adequete vibrtion absorbtion)

at which point u dont need to worry: 20db is the average ambient room noise :P

kaiweiler
04-26-2004, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by atiVidia@26 April 2004 - 16:25
rofl again, that whirling will prolly be under 20db (with adequete vibrtion absorbtion)

not on an old Quantum fireball HD, it certainly isn&#39;t under 20dBA
on startup it spins like a bastard and is quite noisy

atiVidia
04-26-2004, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by kaiweiler+26 April 2004 - 15:29--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (kaiweiler @ 26 April 2004 - 15:29)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-atiVidia@26 April 2004 - 16:25

on startup it spins like a bastard and is quite noisy [/b][/quote]
d00d read the full post&#33;

kaiweiler
04-26-2004, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by atiVidia+26 April 2004 - 16:32--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (atiVidia @ 26 April 2004 - 16:32)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by kaiweiler@26 April 2004 - 15:29
<!--QuoteBegin-atiVidia@26 April 2004 - 16:25

d00d read the full post&#33; [/b][/quote]
:lol:
Sorry my bad&#33;
think I&#39;ll try the rubber feet and set it on the bottom of my case and se if it changes any

atiVidia
04-26-2004, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by kaiweiler+26 April 2004 - 15:33--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (kaiweiler @ 26 April 2004 - 15:33)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by atiVidia@26 April 2004 - 16:32

Originally posted by kaiweiler@26 April 2004 - 15:29
<!--QuoteBegin-atiVidia@26 April 2004 - 16:25

d00d read the full post&#33;
:lol:
Sorry my bad&#33;
think I&#39;ll try the rubber feet and set it on the bottom of my case and se if it changes any [/b][/quote]
rofl OK&#33; :lol:

lets hope it works cuz i wanna try that too :D

kaiweiler
04-26-2004, 08:40 PM
I&#39;ll stop into the hardware store on my way home from work and pick up a few rubber stoppers and some split loom for my cables too B)
might have a look for some foam sheets too....

james_bond_rulez
04-26-2004, 10:03 PM
just buy the sonata case, pretty expensive case, it provides all the rubbergarments u need for ur hdd and everything else.

I have one and it doesn&#39;t even peep...

;)

oh and i do use seagate hdds ;)

kaiweiler
04-26-2004, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by james_bond_rulez@26 April 2004 - 18:03
just buy the sonata case, pretty expensive case, it provides all the rubbergarments u need for ur hdd and everything else.

I have one and it doesn&#39;t even peep...

;)

oh and i do use seagate hdds ;)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
you gotta be kiddin me
I&#39;m not buying a whole new case when chances are I can find a cheaper, more efficient way to silence it anyway&#33;
If I win the lottery though, I&#39;ll consider it :P

atiVidia
04-27-2004, 02:52 AM
heres a more expensive method (but likely to silence ur entire case)

get one of those noise cancellation units from BOSE, and remove the headfones and instead add a speaker (like one of those gay monitor-mount speakers that only has 1 cable and thats for the sound). the unit should have a microfone either built in or attached via cable. the unit is battery operated i believe so ull need to switch the batteries or plug the DC power adapter into the wall. may be a hassle but it works.

bigdawgfoxx
04-27-2004, 02:56 AM
Originally posted by atiVidia@26 April 2004 - 20:52

get one of those noise cancellation units from BOSE, and remove the headfones and instead add a speaker (like one of those gay monitor-mount speakers that only has 1 cable and thats for the sound). the unit should have a microfone either built in or attached via cable. the unit is battery operated i believe so ull need to switch the batteries or plug the DC power adapter into the wall. may be a hassle but it works.
I dont understand how putting a speaker in ur case would cancle sound...lol im not saying your wrong, i just dont understand..how does that work?

tesco
04-27-2004, 03:01 AM
Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx+26 April 2004 - 21:56--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bigdawgfoxx @ 26 April 2004 - 21:56)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-atiVidia@26 April 2004 - 20:52

I dont understand how putting a speaker in ur case would cancle sound...lol im not saying your wrong, i just dont understand..how does that work? [/b][/quote]
have you read his post from a month ago? somehow (proven to work) when you have double the amount of sound, it cancles out itself...

so if you have these headphones on, and there are microphones on the sides, then when the sound comes in, it gets doubled up through your ears, then just cancles out and becomes silent :unsure: its really wierd, and hard to explain, maybe atividia will link to his topic...

atiVidia
04-27-2004, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx+26 April 2004 - 21:56--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bigdawgfoxx @ 26 April 2004 - 21:56)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-atiVidia@26 April 2004 - 20:52

I dont understand how putting a speaker in ur case would cancle sound...lol im not saying your wrong, i just dont understand..how does that work? [/b][/quote]
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/9614/untitled13.GIF

ok u see the noise canceller i mentioned earlier???

mic---&#62;noise canceller----&#62;speaker

very simple

atiVidia
04-27-2004, 03:03 AM
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004+26 April 2004 - 22:01--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ROSSCO_2004 @ 26 April 2004 - 22:01)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx@26 April 2004 - 21:56
<!--QuoteBegin-atiVidia@26 April 2004 - 20:52

I dont understand how putting a speaker in ur case would cancle sound...lol im not saying your wrong, i just dont understand..how does that work?
have you read his post from a month ago? somehow (proven to work) when you have double the amount of sound, it cancles out itself...

so if you have these headphones on, and there are microphones on the sides, then when the sound comes in, it gets doubled up through your ears, then just cancles out and becomes silent :unsure: its really wierd, and hard to explain, maybe atividia will link to his topic... [/b][/quote]
no rofl u got it down

ill make a paint drawing to explain it l8r

tesco
04-27-2004, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by atiVidia+26 April 2004 - 22:03--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (atiVidia @ 26 April 2004 - 22:03)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@26 April 2004 - 22:01

so if you have these headphones on, and there are microphones on the sides, then when the sound comes in, it gets doubled up through your ears, then just cancles out and becomes silent :unsure: its really wierd, and hard to explain, maybe atividia will link to his topic...
no rofl u got it down

ill make a paint drawing to explain it l8r [/b][/quote]
u saying I do or dont get it?

you already drew a pint picture... :) ur doing another?

atiVidia
04-27-2004, 03:29 AM
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004+26 April 2004 - 22:06--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ROSSCO_2004 &#064; 26 April 2004 - 22:06)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by atiVidia@26 April 2004 - 22:03

Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@26 April 2004 - 22:01

no rofl u got it down

ill make a paint drawing to explain it l8r
u saying I do or dont get it?

you already drew a pint picture... :) ur doing another?[/b][/quote]
heres a better 1

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/2296/soundcancellation.gif
the blue is the sound curve. the red is the noise cancellation curve.

when u average the two curves, you get:
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/7388/soundcancellation2.gif
i kno the 2nd graph hurts the eyes but oh well :)

the flat line at zero means no sound. this is how the technology works, and it almost always works perfectly

clocker
04-27-2004, 12:33 PM
So K, did you stop at the hardware store yesterday and get the rubber feet?

kaiweiler
04-27-2004, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by clocker@27 April 2004 - 08:33
So K, did you stop at the hardware store yesterday and get the rubber feet?
couldn&#39;t get the feet, I got some split loom for my cables though...
but yeah I&#39;m pretty sure I have some of those felt feet that you put un the legs of chairs and stuff to stop the from scratching the floor, I think those may even work better

clocker
04-27-2004, 06:02 PM
Maybe, but how do fasten the HDD to the floor of the case then?

kaiweiler
04-27-2004, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by clocker@27 April 2004 - 14:02
Maybe, but how do fasten the HDD to the floor of the case then?
I was thnking put the felt stoppers on the drive and just set it on the bottom, with the rubber ones you say it would actually be attatched?

S!X
04-28-2004, 12:46 AM
my harddrive makes so much fuckin noise too some help would be nice that is easy.. maybe wrappin the HD in somethin but i dunno what. <_<

kaiweiler
04-28-2004, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by mofos@27 April 2004 - 20:46
my harddrive makes so much fuckin noise too some help would be nice that is easy.. maybe wrappin the HD in somethin but i dunno what. <_<
haha read this whole thread dude, you might find out something interesting&#33; :lol:

clocker
04-28-2004, 01:47 AM
Wrapping the HDD in anything suitable for making it quieter would be a bad ( no, make that terrible) idea, IMO.
If it&#39;s holding in the sound, it&#39;s holding in the heat too.

K,
I misspoke in my first post...I&#39;m not using "feet" like you buy at the Ace Hardware, but rather, the isolator feet that come with the Zalman heatpipe cooler.
One end ( they are about 1/2" long) has a threaded stud that goes into the tapped holes in the bottom of your HDD.
The other end has a tapped fitting that you can screw into.
The two end fittings are separated by rubber so no vibration can be transferred ( in theory).

If I didn&#39;t have those I would probably get some sort of rubber blocks ( the softer the better)to use as spacers and use 6-32 plastic screws to fasten down the unit.

I think that you&#39;ll find that just moving the HDD out of the metal bay will help quite a bit..less echo/reverberation.

It does work, I promise.
If you&#39;re drive is incredibly noisy ( mine was not...more irritating than anything), it may not become completely inaudible, but you will notice an improvement.

tesco
04-28-2004, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by clocker@27 April 2004 - 20:47
Wrapping the HDD in anything suitable for making it quieter would be a bad ( no, make that terrible) idea, IMO.
If it&#39;s holding in the sound, it&#39;s holding in the heat too.

K,
I misspoke in my first post...I&#39;m not using "feet" like you buy at the Ace Hardware, but rather, the isolator feet that come with the Zalman heatpipe cooler.
One end ( they are about 1/2" long) has a threaded stud that goes into the tapped holes in the bottom of your HDD.
The other end has a tapped fitting that you can screw into.
The two end fittings are separated by rubber so no vibration can be transferred ( in theory).

If I didn&#39;t have those I would probably get some sort of rubber blocks ( the softer the better)to use as spacers and use 6-32 plastic screws to fasten down the unit.

I think that you&#39;ll find that just moving the HDD out of the metal bay will help quite a bit..less echo/reverberation.

It does work, I promise.
If you&#39;re drive is incredibly noisy ( mine was not...more irritating than anything), it may not become completely inaudible, but you will notice an improvement.
is this true for all parts in a case? for example, a psu? maybe ill try butting a thin strip of styrom foam in the shape of the back of the psu, to go in between the back of it and teh case, and maybe ill attach some to the bottom of my hard drive...think this would work? im guessing it will be about 2 or 3mm thick...

that or I might try suspending the hard drive using fishing line and see how that works out...

edit: hmm, i was talking to mofos on msn and he said that he put his ontop of a dish sponge on the bottom of his case, and this made it silent...what you guys think? i think it might overheat if I do that, but thats just me...

clocker
04-28-2004, 02:01 AM
Rossco,
Why would you do this to your PSU?
Nothing in there is spinning at 7200rpm.
If you have noise from there your best bet is to replace/upgrade the fans...they are the only things that could be noisy in a PSU.

I have seen several HDDs suspended ( usually with zipties) and the idea looks very good...if a little low-tech for my taste.
As long as you are aware that your drive is basically swinging like a pendulum inside your case when you move it, you should be OK.

tesco
04-28-2004, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by clocker@27 April 2004 - 21:01
Rossco,
Why would you do this to your PSU?
Nothing in there is spinning at 7200rpm.
If you have noise from there your best bet is to replace/upgrade the fans...they are the only things that could be noisy in a PSU.

I have seen several HDDs suspended ( usually with zipties) and the idea looks very good...if a little low-tech for my taste.
As long as you are aware that your drive is basically swinging like a pendulum inside your case when you move it, you should be OK.
alright thanks, I guess ill skip the psu idea...read my edit on my post...

clocker
04-28-2004, 02:20 AM
Sure, I see no reason why the sponge wouldn&#39;t work...you are, in effect, decoupling the HDD from the case structure, thus eliminating the primary path of vibration ( sound) to transmit to your ears.

Basically, no different than what I did, or what you propose to do by hanging it with string ( or whatever...).

tesco
04-28-2004, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by clocker@27 April 2004 - 21:20
Sure, I see no reason why the sponge wouldn&#39;t work...you are, in effect, decoupling the HDD from the case structure, thus eliminating the primary path of vibration ( sound) to transmit to your ears.

Basically, no different than what I did, or what you propose to do by hanging it with string ( or whatever...).
alright thanks ill try it tommorrow.

clocker
04-28-2004, 02:28 AM
It&#39;s certainly worth a try...you could do just a quick-and-dirty prototype and if you like the results figure out a better permanent method.

tesco
04-28-2004, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by clocker@27 April 2004 - 21:28
It&#39;s certainly worth a try...you could do just a quick-and-dirty prototype and if you like the results figure out a better permanent method.
that is probably what I would do...just gotta figure out how im gonna secure the drive in :pizza:

clocker
04-28-2004, 02:34 AM
The first time I tried this out I used double stick foam tape and some thick rubber washers.

That actually secured the HDD very well, but was not exactly removable...and you know how often I strip out my case. :P

tesco
04-28-2004, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by clocker@27 April 2004 - 21:34
The first time I tried this out I used double stick foam tape and some thick rubber washers.

That actually secured the HDD very well, but was not exactly removable...and you know how often I strip out my case. :P
&#33; you just reminded me that I have double sided tape&#33; that might come in handy...

clocker
04-28-2004, 02:42 AM
Couldn&#39;t get along without it...

Virtualbody1234
04-28-2004, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by clocker@27 April 2004 - 20:34

You need velcro. :lol:

clocker
04-28-2004, 05:36 AM
Thanks, me.

lynx
04-28-2004, 12:58 PM
When I tried this I used rubber tap washers (the ones I got actually had no hole in the middle so I could drill that to my own requirements). They are actually quite hard. It is not necessarily true that you need soft rubber mountings, the important bit is that their natural frequency is well away from the frequencies produced by the drive.

I have also mounted my PSU on foam rubber. This stops vibrations from the PSU fan from using the rest of the case as a sounding board, and also prevents any "knock" (which causes tinny rattles) between the case and the outside of the PSU. For this I used foam rubber self adhesive insulation strip, available from most hardware stores.