PDA

View Full Version : Compuer Crashed, Cant Boot Nor Get To Bios

BigDaddy555
04-26-2004, 08:43 PM
current thread (http://www.computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=1471) please read this so I do not have to retype it all. It will take you to the "COMPUTER FORUMS" where I have it posted already.

fred devliegher
04-26-2004, 08:55 PM
Ever heard of cut and paste ?

A friend brought a computer by because when booting it would say"no operating system found." Easy fix right? No! I put in my WinXP disk and tried to get into bios to make it boot from cd. Bios wont load, just stays locked up. Ok, so I pulled the HDD put it in my computer and reformatted it. The drive works just fine in mine. Put it back in the troubled pc, still same thing. Ok, maybe cmos....jumped it and reset it even pulled the battery, swapped RAM with one I know is good, tried my backup HDD, yet still nothing. It will not boot from any thing, it acts like the keyboard is not working. I even unplugged everything i.e. - network adapters, hard/floppy/cd drives, sound card, i mean everything, yet I still cant get bios to load. The pmcflash is not in a socket so i cannot remove an replace it to see if that is the problem. Im thinking I need to reflash, but i dont know how. Can bios possibly have been erased, if so how can I restore it? I dont know what else to check. Anyone have any ideas on what to do....Its freakin' pissing me off. Its a Compac Presario 7000 30gigHDD, Pentium3, 128MB RAM . When I turn the box on it just says "compaq" with a blinking cursor in the top left.

tesco
04-26-2004, 09:03 PM
cpu could be fried :unsure:

edit: just got an idea, do you have an internal speaker lying around? or can you borrow or buy one from somewhere? your bios may be producing an error code that could help to diagnose your problem, but the only way to find out is to try it.

BigDaddy555
04-26-2004, 09:17 PM
sorry about making you go to another thread, but the darn thing woulnt paste. I did try. Thanks for pasting it Fred. Im thinking this tower has just become a footrest..................

firefox
04-26-2004, 09:18 PM
usually the blinking cursor should be on the top right had coner of the screen, when you see that hit F10 to enter bios. Go to the compaq web site and find your computer model for a bios update and a tool to flash it as well.

BigDaddy555
04-26-2004, 10:15 PM
oddly the cursor began in the top right, when I would hit F10 it would go to the top left and hang, never actually going to bios. Sometimes it would get to the point where it said that it there was no operating system installed(whick is why I took out the drive and reformatted on my computer which still didnt work, and I even tried the drive out of my computer) I coulnt load the cd because I would get to "press any key to boot from cd...." and the keyboard seemed to not work. Now with all that said and what I have done, it just hangs at the "compaq" screen with a blinker on the top left...

I cannot find this motherboard anywhere by the model # and the manufacturer is not on the board anywhere.her ar the numbers I see on the board:
bar code: 421A2P00CE0 (white sticker)
printed on the board: PWA-ELISE-SWAP-BD
PCB 316701200001-R01
ASSY. 411701200001 R

THE PMC Flash chip is 85930 0028 Pm29f????12jc (I cant read the blue letters)

I have been to the HP site and there is not a bios update

I would like to try flashing the CMOS but I dont know what to use or how to do it

tesco
04-26-2004, 10:44 PM
sounds like its definately either a problem with teh motherboard or the cpu, but i recomend you try to get an internal pc speaker so you can find out if the motherboard is giving out any beep codes...

clocker
04-26-2004, 10:47 PM
From the Compaq website...

System stops responding or does not start

If the computer stops responding at the red Compaq logo, or a blank screen appears and Windows does not start, perform the following steps:
If the computer is on, turn off the computer.

Open the computer case by removing the side panels and/or cover.

Disconnect the hard drive IDE cable.

Turn on the computer. Ignore any error messages that appear.

Turn off the computer, and reconnect the IDE cable.

Turn on the computer. If Windows does not start normally contact Compaq...

Tried this yet?

BigDaddy555
04-26-2004, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by clocker@26 April 2004 - 22:47
From the Compaq website...

System stops responding or does not start

If the computer stops responding at the red Compaq logo, or a blank screen appears and Windows does not start, perform the following steps:
If the computer is on, turn off the computer.

Open the computer case by removing the side panels and/or cover.

Disconnect the hard drive IDE cable.

Turn on the computer. Ignore any error messages that appear.

Turn off the computer, and reconnect the IDE cable.

Turn on the computer. If Windows does not start normally contact Compaq...

Tried this yet?
[QUOTE] Yes that is actually one of the first things I tried. I made a BIOS update disc. Tried to run this but the computer just gets a blank screen cursor binks in the top left and the floppy drive light stays on. It acts like it is trying to work from the floppy but it just hangs there forever.

HOWEVER>>>>>I DID GET AN ERROR MESSAGE FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

162 SYSTEM OPTIONS NOT SET

I CANT FIND THIS ERROR CODE ANYWHERE, BUT ILL BET THIS IDIOT THAT BROUGHT THIS COMPUTER TO ME HAS FLASHED BIOS OR SOMETHING AND WIPED IT OUT. CAN OR HOW CAN I REINSTALL BIOS

clocker
04-27-2004, 01:08 AM
I think you are jumping the gun by assuming that the BIOS is faulty.
It could be as simple as a keyboard error.
Have you tried unplugging the keyboard cable and plugging it back in?
Or maybe a different keyboard altogether...

delphin460
04-27-2004, 01:15 AM
um , your keyboard wouldnt happen to be usb would it

usb keyboards wont work to get into the bios , you need to get a ps2 keyboard to be able to access the bios mate

the other thing to do is unplug everything except the h/d and floppy, pull any pci card out except for the graphics card ( if its not agp )( make sure you unplug the cdrom's too )

try starting it without the other stuff and see what happens

tesco
04-27-2004, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by delphin460@26 April 2004 - 20:15
um , your keyboard wouldnt happen to be usb would it

usb keyboards wont work to get into the bios , you need to get a ps2 keyboard to be able to access the bios mate
:huh: usb keyboard cant access bios? what have I been using :unsure:

delphin460
04-27-2004, 01:20 AM
newer mobo's allow you to boot with usb if its enebled in the bios, but this is a pent 3 and if its reset to the defaults usb k/b support is disabled ,

clocker
04-27-2004, 01:21 AM
Good question.

I must have a magic keyboard.

Oh, that's right I do...

tesco
04-27-2004, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by delphin460@26 April 2004 - 20:20
newer mobo's allow you to boot with usb if its enebled in the bios, but this is a pent 3 and if its reset to the defaults usb k/b support is disabled ,
hmm maybe, i might try it out on my old computer (older than a p3, its a k6-2)..

delphin460
04-27-2004, 01:23 AM
oh and btw , compaq are strange , the bios enter key could be just about anything , so you will have to mash your kbd with your fists to find the right key

tesco
04-27-2004, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by delphin460@26 April 2004 - 20:23
oh and btw , compaq are strange , the bios enter key could be just about anything , so you will have to mash your kbd with your fists to find the right key
:lol: that is true, my old comps an hp, and im not sure how i ever figured out which key was teh bios key, but I now have it set to show the 'boottime diagnostics', i just call it the post, so now i dont have to watch that ugly HP, expanding possibilities screen...is that ever annoying.

clocker
04-27-2004, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by delphin460@26 April 2004 - 19:23
Indeed.

I think on my sister-in-law's Compaq it was F2....

delphin460
04-27-2004, 01:58 AM
i had another read of the initial post , and it looks likes in the beginning of this problem everything was ok besides the fact that the comp couldnt find the operating system

so i think you can exclude cpu and ram problems,

in jumping the bios you would have set the bios back to defaults , in which case the usb keyboard wouldnt work ( need ps2 ) to get to the bios

also this would have the effect of having a keyboard error, and thus the bios would halt

so , dont do anything else till you confirm that you can get into the bios ( ps2 kbd )
and set everything back to what it should be

then post back if you are still having problems

BigDaddy555
04-27-2004, 04:25 AM
No, the keyboard is not USB, and yes I did try my other keyboard. I now believe that its not that the keyboard is not working but yet that the computer is just locking up. I made a ROMPac floppy and it will just hang forever while trying to read the disc. Unless this is normal, I gave it about an hour twice and all I see is the floppy working while Im looking at a black screen with a blinking cursor in the top left. The funny thing is, after I did this the first time it didnt work so I jumped the CMOS and pulled the battery, and after that when I power up, you could see it run a memory test in the top lest. Looked normal until that was done then then it said that no operating system was found. Referring back to my previous post, we know that the HDD is good (AND YES I TRIED ANOTHER JUST IN CASE)

I have already done everything that has been suggested before I even started this thread. I wouldnt want to waste all of your time trying to resolve a simple issue.

The only thing that I have NOT done is actually flashed the Bios. That is because I cannot find anywhere what version is on this machine.

COULD SOMEONE HELP ME FIND THE RIGHT FLASH FOR THIS BOARD. Google nor HP have helped me yet. I am having trouble finding anything on this motherboard and I dont know what version of BIOS is on here. I posted the serial and model number from the motherboad in the first thread.

I gave my S/N to a live tech at HP and he gave me the exact model # Compac Presario desktop PC 7QSME2, The only thing on the computer itself is 7000, but there are a ton of 7000 series.

Ill be pulling my hair out waiting on the Genius that can help me.

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR INPUT AND KEEP THEM COMING. I REALLY APPRECIATE EVERYONE COMING TOGETHER TRYING TO SOLVE SOMEONE ELSES PROBLEMS.

SORRY DONT MEAN TO BE SO LONG.............JUST TRYING TO BE THUROUGH!

atiVidia
04-27-2004, 04:39 AM
Originally posted by BigDaddy555@26 April 2004 - 23:25
No, the keyboard is not USB, and yes I did try my other keyboard. I now believe that its not that the keyboard is not working but yet that the computer is just locking up.  I made a ROMPac floppy and it will just hang forever while trying to read the disc.  Unless this is normal, I gave it about an hour twice and all I see is the floppy working while Im looking at a black screen with a blinking cursor in the top left.  The funny thing is, after I did this the first time it didnt work so I jumped the CMOS and pulled the battery, and after that when I power up, you could see it run a memory test  in the top lest.  Looked normal until that was done then then it said that  no operating system was found.  Referring back to my previous post, we know that the HDD is good (AND YES I TRIED ANOTHER JUST IN CASE)

I have already done everything that has been suggested before I even started this thread.  I wouldnt want to waste all of your time trying to resolve a simple issue.

The only thing that I have NOT done is actually flashed the Bios.  That is because I cannot find anywhere what version is on this machine.

COULD SOMEONE HELP ME FIND THE RIGHT FLASH FOR THIS BOARD. Google nor HP have helped me yet.  I am having trouble finding anything on this motherboard and I dont know what version of BIOS is on here. I posted the serial and model number from the motherboad in the first thread.

I gave my S/N to a live tech at HP and he gave me the exact model # Compac Presario desktop PC 7QSME2,  The only thing on the computer itself is 7000, but there are a ton of 7000 series.

Ill be pulling my hair out waiting on the Genius that can help me.

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR INPUT AND KEEP THEM COMING.  I REALLY APPRECIATE EVERYONE COMING TOGETHER TRYING TO SOLVE SOMEONE ELSES PROBLEMS.

SORRY DONT MEAN TO BE SO LONG.............JUST TRYING TO BE THUROUGH!
have u tried entering the bios after clearing it?
reason i mentioned this is because u sed that it checked the mem and stuff. it seems that ur bios issues have been solved so try booting into the bios.

btw usually if an OS is on a hard drive it will not boot in any other comp

try a linux live CD and see if it boots off of that. here (http://filesharingtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=98483)

BigDaddy555
04-27-2004, 04:52 AM
YES I tried to enter BIOS after the clear, also I use an XP disc, that is what was on there and is what I reinstalled. Oddly I know it is detecting the cd, floppy and HD because they all light up in order right at power up>>>>HDD>CD>FLOPPY, but never light up again unless I put a disc in the floppy you can hear it turning and lights up. Maybe I am not loading the disc right. I extracted it onto the floppy after I downloaded it and even double checked it on my good machine, so I believe the disc to be good. Here is what I put on the discCOMPAQ WEBSITE (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?product=239591&os=209&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&softwareitem=35913)

BigDaddy555
04-27-2004, 08:23 AM
Ok.............I know I am beating this into the ground, but...........he showed me the Win XP disc he recently installed on this crashed computer. I believe he got it from Kazaa because I have seen this serial # before:FCKGW-RHQQ2-YXRKT-8TG6W-2B7Q8. I believe this disk had a virus causing all of this. here is what is going on now, I simply made an MS DOS boot disk and actually got to the A/ prompt, however I could not type anything. (HMM???) Now I can get it to respond when I press F10, but it goes straight to the screen that says "sorry for the inconvenience bla bla bla.....and it gives me the safe mode, ""with netwrkg,""with command prompt, and it is highlighted on start win normally. I cant select anything, it just stays stuck on the start normal. If I press any key the time meter will stop and again the computer hangs.

NOW LISTEN TO THIS...........PLEASE BEAR WITH ME.............

If I let it time out, a blue screen flashes so quickly I could not read it. So with the help of a video camera I figured out most of what it says:
" A PROBLEM HAS BEEN DETECTEDAND WINDOWS HAS BEEN SHUT DOWN.
IF THIS IS THE FIRST TIME.....(COULNT READ)
CHECK FOR VIRUSES ON YOUR COMPUTER, REMOVE NEWLY INSTALLED HARD DRIVES OR HARD DRIVE CONTROLLERS, CHECK YOUR HARD DRIVE TO MAKE SURE IT IS PROPERLY CONFIGURED AND TERMINATED

TECHNICAL INFORMATION
*** STOP 0 x 00000078 (0XFE232640,CO....that is all I could read

Run CHKDSX/F to check for HD corruption.

Now I know my HD is good, but how will I be able to run CHKDSk

regardless I still cant load BIOS :swear:

:tank: <--------this should take care of it&#33;

BigDaddy555
04-27-2004, 08:30 AM
:helpsmile:

delphin460
04-27-2004, 09:19 AM
mate sounds like too much effort , chuck it out the window :frusty:

atiVidia
04-27-2004, 10:35 AM
sounds like something zapped ur southbridge

Originally posted by delphin460@27 April 2004 - 04:19
mate sounds like too much effort , chuck it out the window&nbsp; :frusty:

looks like hes right. u can get another mobo if ya want.

btw i could give u a decent copy of XP pro and a good serial key not on kazaa :) (u need to show me that u deserve it tho :P)

BigDaddy555
04-27-2004, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the offer on the XP cd. I have a good one. It was his that I think was F@@ked. And your right, this has become too much trouble. Im going to tell him to replace the motherboard. Not a very expensive fix..............

atiVidia
04-27-2004, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by BigDaddy555@27 April 2004 - 16:19
Thanks for the offer on the XP cd. I have a good one. It was his that I think was F@@ked. And your right, this has become too much trouble. Im going to tell him to replace the motherboard. Not a very expensive fix..............
rofl unlike u im not rich so i cant afford a mobo swap :)

BigDaddy555
04-27-2004, 10:38 PM
well, its cheaper than a new computer....