PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Set Up A Bios

Wizzandabe
03-14-2003, 08:28 PM
read title.

itay
03-14-2003, 08:29 PM
when you computer starts, press del and it will enter to the bios.
from there you can do all sorts of things..
knock your'self out!!!

Razz
03-14-2003, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by itay@14 March 2003 - 20:29
when you computer starts, press del and it will enter to the bios.
from there you can do all sorts of things..
knock your'self out!!!
not always delete but it should tell you on start up which key to press :P

Rocktron
03-14-2003, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by wizzandabe@14 March 2003 - 21:28
read title.
Sorry... a very short question (no details) asks for a short answer... http://community.the-underdogs.org/smiley/armed/bomb.gif

Wizzandabe
03-14-2003, 09:22 PM
is it easy to set a bios up on a custom built pc. this will be my first time)

Lamsey
03-14-2003, 09:31 PM
If you have bought a retail-packaged motherboard then it should include instructions for setting up the BIOS.

If not, see if you can download the appropriate manual from the manufacturer's website.

Luca_Snipes
03-14-2003, 10:50 PM
even with the manual for the motherboard they often don't give very good explinations as to what is what and how any changes will affect the performance of the machine.
I have 3 tips for you;

1) use google and search for tweak guides for your motherboard - they've all been done
2) only make one change at a time - for the first few years anyway, i've been playing with BIOS settings for 5 or so and now know what can / can't be changed (but I stil get things wrong), if your not using high grade memory (e.g. Crucial) then DO NOT touch the memory settings, even better, don't touch any settings if you have any doubt about the quality of your components and their ability to run at high settings, things like network cards are extreamly fussy
3) find someone that has been tweeking BIOS for a while and get chatty :geek:

is it easy to set a bios up on a custom built pc. this will be my first time)

easy - no, things can and will go wrong, the worst is that you'll have to clear the CMOS

kaspiske
03-15-2003, 10:04 AM
mostly it is Del or F1 but not always, it should tell you on start up which key to press. But don't fuck up your bios!

Wizzandabe
03-15-2003, 12:22 PM
will my pc start (never been turned on vbefor) and run windows. with oyut setting up a bios?

DARKSHADOW
03-15-2003, 12:43 PM
If ur worried just enter the bios screen with del as soon as u turn on the comp and use one of the bios preset defaults like 1- load failsafe defaults or 2- optimal performance default
which ever u feel safe doing :)

Wizzandabe
03-15-2003, 01:07 PM
so if i say enterd 1 then my pc would run a os.

Luca_Snipes
03-15-2003, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by wizzandabe@15 March 2003 - 12:22
will my pc start (never been turned on vbefor) and run windows. with oyut setting up a bios?
you will most likely to have setup the date and possably the disks (just make sure they're on auto), other than that the PC will work and install windows, it just won't be running at it's full potental.
Also you may need to configure the CPU in the BIOS, unless your board is one of the few that still have jumpers/dip switches

Wizzandabe
03-15-2003, 02:03 PM
when you say set up the dat dose this maen when my pc gets shut off (shutdown) it will rmeember the date.

Luca_Snipes
03-15-2003, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by wizzandabe@15 March 2003 - 14:03
when you say set up the dat dose this maen when my pc gets shut off (shutdown) it will rmeember the date.
yes, all settings are save on the CMOS, which is the reason there is a little battery on the board, it keeps the clock going

Wizzandabe
03-15-2003, 02:21 PM
so will i need to install the bios if i am upgrading my hdd and insatlling a new os on it.

Luca_Snipes
03-15-2003, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by wizzandabe@15 March 2003 - 14:21
so will i need to install the bios if i am upgrading my hdd and insatlling a new os on it.
if you add/remove a disk from the machine then the BIOS will need to be changed to reflect this, these days disk detection is left on auto so nothing will need to be done.

you will need to make sure that the boot device is set to the right disk for where you are installing the OS.

the manual should tell you how to configure both of those options

Wizzandabe
03-15-2003, 02:28 PM
yea so i jsut det the drive to master. installing it about 3 o clock. so plz reply quick.