PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Dial-up Connection Password

neofite
03-15-2003, 03:06 AM
Since getting computer 3 years ago now have had to do several full restore (Compaq) for various reasons. The main one being that I lose the automatic fill-in of my password.
Once it's gone, not even Compaq's techs can find a way to reinstall, (not by renaming .rwl) and I end up backing everything up (which I usually lose more stuff that I think I've done) and starting from scratch.
Any others with this problem?

skelley521
03-15-2003, 03:36 AM
Which passwords....for the bios??
Full restore of Operating System??
weak cmos battery maybe??
I also have a 3 yr old compaq and have had no problems.
If you could give us some more insight on this problem it would be easier to help.
what type of OS?
Processor?
memory?
HD space?
What type of compaq and date of bios?

Steve

DARKSHADOW
03-15-2003, 09:39 AM
u could make regular ghost images, anything goes wrongor lost just install ur last image and everything will be back how u left it :)

neofite
03-15-2003, 02:31 PM
Running 56k Pent 3 600MHz win98 se
The connection I'm referring to is the dial-up for the internet where it has 'Save password' followed by 'Automatically connect'. I can check these boxes but it doesn't maintain connection.
The only way I've been able to retrieve full function is to do a full restore as if it were new.
As my user name suggest neofite (phyte) could have been dunce for all I don't know about this.

DarthInsinuate
03-15-2003, 03:55 PM
errrr, why not get a piece of paper and write the password on one side and 'do not lose, important password' on the other then lock it in a box of important stuff

neofite
03-15-2003, 04:00 PM
Thanks D but I know the password, just looking to save time typing it in everytime I want to connect to the internet ;)

Nightwolf
03-16-2003, 10:34 AM
If you're talking about your Dial-up Connection password, with the little check box that says "Remember Password" that doesn't work right - it's a classic 95/98 bug. I struggled with that one for ages before I finally found a solution that worked for me. Try reading this page for some ideas:

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article04-004

neofite
03-16-2003, 03:58 PM
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

T H A N K Y O U Nightwolf!!!!!!!!!

If MS would only address and fix once and for all there wouldn't be a need to go outside their realm, not that they even care. Finding that many tech's claim that it's a problem with Presario's in general also.