PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Updates 1/2 May

hungrylilboy
05-02-2004, 10:16 PM
i just updated from the site (not the automatic ones)

when i restarted i couldnt connect to the internet...I used system restore and bingo i can connect

has anyone else had this problem? what to do? what not to install?

there was one critical which was a roll back of all the critical updates (seems a little pointless anyway but there u are)

then i had about 10 other non critical but recommmended updates

help would be nice guys

Triadcool
05-02-2004, 10:32 PM
My friend had the exact same problem. He downloaded all of the new updates over night and when he restarted his computer after installing them he couldn't connect to the internet. The only way I could fix his computer was doing a restore point.

tesco
05-02-2004, 11:14 PM
hmm, only idea I can think of is maybe you downloaded a new network card or modem driver update, and it either didnt install properly or wasn't for your card\modem.

how do you connect to the internet?

Triadcool
05-02-2004, 11:42 PM
My friend connects throught a 56k modem.

tesco
05-02-2004, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by Triadcool@2 May 2004 - 18:42
My friend connects throught a 56k modem.
it might have been a modem driver update then...ask him to look at the updates and see if there are any driver updates related that he may have clicked on when he updated...

hungrylilboy, do the same...

hungrylilboy
05-03-2004, 05:11 AM
i will later tonight.
there was one network iv6 firewall related one but i didnt install it
its odd cos protowall says i am connected and is still blocking and allowing packets but nothing will connect

supersonic
05-03-2004, 08:10 PM
Ddos atta<k maybe?,
problems always happen with these crappy updates, especially with IE 3 recent updates make IE crash and open 3 hourse after clicking it.

hungrylilboy
05-03-2004, 08:30 PM
no def not that.
I will install all the updates one by one now and then post which one affects it. I have a feeling its going to be the rollback one tho

if anyone else has had this pls let me know what u didnt install to solve it

hungrylilboy
05-03-2004, 08:59 PM
ok its not the rollback.

baccyman
05-03-2004, 09:13 PM
could it be that the protowall is blocking something and not letting you on the net

tesco
05-03-2004, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by hungrylilboy@3 May 2004 - 00:11
i will later tonight.
there was one network iv6 firewall related one but i didnt install it
its odd cos protowall says i am connected and is still blocking and allowing packets but nothing will connect
you still havent told us how you connect to the internet. but anyway, that ipv6 firewall thing mighthave something to do with the problem, although I have it installed, along with all other updates available, and have no problems at all....

but here is something to try: (this is only if you have high speed internet, through ethernet)
go to control panel>network connections>double click the connection>click support.

now write down what it says for ip adress, subnet mask, and gateway.

now install all of the updates and if the internet connection has stopped working, go to the same place again (you might wanna write down how to get there) and check to see if the ip adress and stuff are still the same,if not then try going:

back to the general tab>click properties>now double-click the internet protocol (tcp&#092;ip) protocol stack and make sure that OBTAIN AN IP ADRESS AUTOMATICALLY and OBTAIN DNS SERVER AUTOMATICALLY are enabled. if not then enable them (unless ur isp install manual tells u differently)

well good luck, and post back with what happens&#33; :)

Mad Cat
05-03-2004, 09:48 PM
One of the updates may have enabled the XP firewall..?

hungrylilboy
05-03-2004, 10:06 PM
i cant be bothered to be honest now guys. I have installed the roll back and that works. The other updates arent critical and are mostly things that microsoft wants u to install to promote themselves.

thanks for help neway and if it ever occurs again, will let u know what happens