PDA

View Full Version : Norton Antivirus Professional Subscription

downloadgeek
05-03-2004, 02:45 AM
Hello,

I downloaded Norton Anti-Virus Professinal 2003 Addition and the subscription with it was not due to run out for another 8 months. Anywase recently besides subscription service in the main window it says "NOT INSTALLED" but there is a green check mark beside it indicating that everything is alrite. What is going on? Thanks

Xero Grid
05-03-2004, 02:52 AM
Norton.... Everyone has problems with it except the corporate editon. So, I suggest either attempting to get the corp version or get a real anti-virus.
NOD32 (http://www.nod32.com/) is excellent
AVG (http://www.grisoft.com/) has a free version that's better than Norton's most expensive. :lol: It also has an even better shareware version.

-- Xero Grid --

downloadgeek
05-05-2004, 12:35 AM
How can i disable the splash screen that appears when loading AVG??

Xero Grid
05-05-2004, 12:43 AM
I haven't used the free version in quite a while, but in 7.0, you can open AVG from the system tray and go into program settings. A window with tabs should be there. It'll be on one of the tabs, but on the free edition, I'm not sure.

You see, at the moment, I'm using NOD32 (harder to ger the full version), so I don't remember all specific options. But, that is one of the differences in 6.0 and 7.0, limited options. 7.0 does have more options and is faster overall, but I wouldn't say it's worth buying when 6.0 is so good. But, is the splash screen only started when a test is running or something?

-- Xero Grid --

Spindulik
05-05-2004, 02:35 AM
I have Norton System Works 2003. I re-install XP several times a year (The usual drastic "clean up"). Every time I install Norton System Works, I get an entire year of service.

Anyhow, I don't have the Professional version, and it works GREAT! It prevented a trojan virus an hour ago.

However, I used to hate Norton years ago, because it would slow my PC down a lot. Now that I have a faster computer, I forget that I even have it running.

lightshow
05-05-2004, 03:26 AM
Yea norton can cause some bad problems. It's autoprotect thing didn't work for me, and since it is almost impossible to uninstall then reinstall, i had to totally reformat my hard drive and try again. It needed it anyway :lol:

PS if you look hard enough, <irc>, you can find something to help with the subscriptions..