PDA

View Full Version : .exe Files

Alfive
03-15-2003, 03:15 PM
whever i download files that end in .exe sometimes i can't use the file \. when i go to open it a dos box opens and i get a message that the program is too big to fit into memory. i have winxp with 512 ram any ideas how to fix this? i tried renaming the file to zip, rar, ace, iso and bin.

"The Avatar Man"
03-15-2003, 03:47 PM
what file exactly?

Alfive
03-15-2003, 04:11 PM
splintercell.bin.exe but this is just one of many size dose not matter for the file wether its 1 meg or 700 megs. and yes i renamed it to the bin format.

DataMore
03-15-2003, 04:36 PM
There you have it. It's a .bin file. :)
Check the file for errors using CDmage (http://cdmage.cjb.net/) and burn it onto a CD (I recommend using Nero). ;)

The Great Dude
03-15-2003, 04:41 PM
I think because it's a cd image, rename the extension to .iso or .bin

Originally posted by Tip By: The_Great_Dude

Go to the folder you have your file, then click on Tools at the top,
go down to Folder Options, then click on View tab,
scroll down and uncheck the box that says "hide file extensions for known file types",
click OK, go back to your iso file, right click, rename, then delete the extension .exe replace with .iso.
Now it should show up.  B)

"The Avatar Man"
03-15-2003, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Alfive@15 March 2003 - 17:11
splintercell.bin.exe but this is just one of many size dose not matter for the file wether its 1 meg or 700 megs. and yes i renamed it to the bin format.
you may just be downloading fakes!
splinter cell is three cd's
try changing it to .avi and see if it's rambo:first blood.That's a well known fake :angry: :angry: :angry:

dwightfry
03-15-2003, 05:18 PM
Be sure to scan it for a virus. In my experience if files have a double extension like that, It means somebody attached a virus to it.

DataMore
03-15-2003, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by dwightfry@15 March 2003 - 17:18
Be sure to scan it for a virus. In my experience if files have a double extension like that, It means somebody attached a virus to it.
People usually put an .exe extension on the files so that it appears on the search results when you use one of the filters. ;)
For example, if you're looking for Fifa 2003 using the software filter, you won't get .iso or .bin files in the search results. However if they have a double extension like .bin.exe then they will appear. :)
The same goes for movies. If you use the Video filter you won't get those VCD and SVCD .bin and .iso files. Therefore there are also some movies with a double extension like .bin.avi or iso.avi extension. ;)

Icey
03-15-2003, 07:07 PM
check the verifieds and see the size of the file

Alfive
03-16-2003, 03:27 AM
yep it was a fake alright. it was in fact rambo first blood. thanks for the help.