PDA

View Full Version : Tv Tuner Card

zirjacks
05-04-2004, 10:28 PM
Looking for suggestions for a tv tuner card. I don't need a new video card, the Geforce FX 5200 I have is fine for my needs. Have looked around on newegg.com but there is a pretty big selection to chose from. Would like to keep the price under $75. What cards would give decent quality in that price range?

Here is my system specs if it matters.

Intel Pentium 4 Processor at 3.0GHz with HT Technology
1024MB DDR SDRAM at 400MHz
128MB DDR NVidia GeForce FX 5200 graphics card
120GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
18" Microtek 815c Lcd Monitor

Thanks for any suggestions!

tesco
05-04-2004, 10:49 PM
first decide what it is you want to do with the card. There are tv tuners, and tv capture cards...they're different.

with a tv tuner, you plug in the coaxial\cable wire into the card, then you use software that allows you to change between channels.

with a tv tuner card, they usually have svideo and rca inputs, which allows you to connect a dvd player, or video game system, or camcorder, etc. to watch tv with one of these you canould plug a vcr into it then use teh vcr to flick through channels.

personally, i think id rather have the second one, becuase it would allow me to play video games and capture video from a dvd player or video camera onto my computer.

zirjacks
05-04-2004, 11:07 PM
Mainly just watching tv while on the computer, but yeah would probably want to record a show or two. So I think I would want the capture card. Any suggestions on what make and model to look for?

Thanks for the reply!

tesco
05-04-2004, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by zirjacks@4 May 2004 - 18:15
Mainly just watching tv while on the computer, but yeah would probably want to record a show or two. So I think I would want the capture card. Any suggestions on what make and model to look for?

Thanks for the reply!
u can still record shows with the tv tuner card, its actually a bit easier to hook up...

as for models, uhh, my friend has a winfast something or other by leadtek, its pretty good.

bob_the_alien
05-04-2004, 11:50 PM
Do they make Digital TV Tuner Cards?, never looked, but would be cool, I can see myself recording for hours.
lol

tesco
05-05-2004, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by bob_the_alien@4 May 2004 - 18:58
Do they make Digital TV Tuner Cards?,  never looked,  but would be cool, I can see myself recording for hours.
lol

ya probably. if not then just hook up the set-top box up to the tv tuner card, and use it to change channels.

zirjacks
05-05-2004, 03:38 AM
How does this one look?

Tv card (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-144-307&depa=1)

SingaBoiy
05-05-2004, 03:54 AM
I would suggest ATI Wonder VE. I have one and its very good quality. Allows you to capture stuff from any range quality you choose. Mine has a coax in, video in, and line out.

tesco
05-05-2004, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by zirjacks@4 May 2004 - 22:46
How does this one look?

Tv card (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-144-307&depa=1)
hmm looks pretty good, it has all the inputs of a tv tuner and a capture card, so id probably go for it, or maybe a different brand, never heard of prolink...

Barbarossa
05-05-2004, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by bob_the_alien@4 May 2004 - 23:58
Do they make Digital TV Tuner Cards?, never looked, but would be cool, I can see myself recording for hours.
lol
Yes, but I don't think they've got the interactive facilities sorted out on them yet.

Mr. Elmo
05-05-2004, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by SingaBoiy@5 May 2004 - 04:02
I would suggest ATI Wonder VE. I have one and its very good quality. Allows you to capture stuff from any range quality you choose. Mine has a coax in, video in, and line out.
i would not buy that at all....i have one, and it would not start if i open wmp b4 i use it. something about my video card overlay feature being used. i restarted my comp...nothing work. so i uninstalled the driver, reinstalled. work.

so basically, if i want to watch tv, i have to spend 30 mins to do the uninstalled/installation proccess

SingaBoiy
05-05-2004, 04:54 PM
Thats because you have some kind of conflict that needs to be resolved. Mine works prefectly fine. I actually wished I had another one so I could capture 2 things at the same time.