PDA

View Full Version : Longhorn Specs

4play
05-05-2004, 12:20 AM
At first I thought this was a joke, but this article from Microsoft Watch confirms it: 'Microsoft is expected to recommend that the 'average' Longhorn PC feature a dual-core CPU running at 4 to 6GHz; a minimum of 2 gigs of RAM; up to a terabyte of storage; a 1 Gbit, built-in, Ethernet-wired port and an 802.11g wireless link; and a graphics processor that runs three times faster than those on the market today.

source (http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,1995,1581842,00.asp)

so dont ever expect to run longhorn on your current pc :lol:

Xero Grid
05-05-2004, 12:24 AM
Holy crap, dude. That's generations ahead of my machine. Now, I feel all my machine is good for is running atari games. :lol:

But, I had heard that installation gives you several options on the level of eye candy so the user could choose the level of performance. I haven't experimented with the beta yet (more like pre-pre-pre-alpha), so I can't confirim this. ;)

::Goes to read article::

-- Xero Grid --

tesco
05-05-2004, 12:31 AM
those definately are not the specs...maybe a 2ghz machine, with a 64mb graphics card, and 512mb ram, but not those high of specs. thats crazy.

i heard that the new windows is going to be all 3d based, using direct3d or somehting like that...but i doubtr it needs that high of specs.

ive ran teh beta fine on my machine. about same resources\speed as windwos xp atm.

Xero Grid
05-05-2004, 12:35 AM
Still, that's what the article says. :lol:
M$ will probably make more useless and crappy 3d effects, but there will still be a shell replacement that promices more. :rolleyes:
I've seen one of the new features. I saw someone dragging a window and it did have a freaky 3d wavy look it to and built in transparancy effects. I was going to install it virtually to see what M$ has come up with so far, for myself.

-- Xero Grid --

tesco
05-05-2004, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by Xero Grid@4 May 2004 - 19:43
Still, that's what the article says. :lol:
M$ will probably make more useless and crappy 3d effects, but there will still be a shell replacement that promices more. :rolleyes:
I've seen one of the new features. I saw someone dragging a window and it did have a freaky 3d wavy look it to and built in transparancy effects. I was going to install it virtually to see what M$ has come up with so far, for myself.

-- Xero Grid --
:huh: none of the longhorn betas leaked on the internet have any special effects like that...the only difference that you can see are that shortcuts to certain things have been added, and teh startup for programs that arent really there, and the new theme...actually a new shell too, but its too much like the original imo.

Xero Grid
05-05-2004, 12:46 AM
That's why I wanted to confirm it for myself. Maybe I'll get to it someday. Ahh, the beauty of VMware (http://www.vmware.com/). Using it without actually installing it. :lol:
I'm not sure if the free alternative Bochs (http://bochs.sourceforge.net/) could handle something like that though.

-- Xero Grid --

atiVidia
05-05-2004, 01:00 AM
my 4053 has it, my previous 4029 had it, and i believe 4073 has it...

any1 kno where i can get 4073? i expect that some1 ripped it by now :rolleyes: