PDA

View Full Version : Calling All Ms Office Excel Experts!

healimonster
03-15-2003, 05:55 PM
I know this is probably not the best forum to ask this question, and I have asked it else where. I just want to test my fellow k-lite board brethren with a bit of a conundrum.

This time of year several sources rank the top baseball players for fantasy baseball. To go into the draft you pretty much have to subscribe to 1 source and stick to it while you draft. If the source that you picked sucked then your draft will suck.

I am looking for a way to take these 4, 5 , or 6 different ranking lists put them into excel, and see if it can come up with a players average ranking among the lists.

Do you know how to do this?

There are a couple problems, all the lists are formated slightly differently and as the list goes lower some names are on some lists and not on others.

I suppose I could arrange all the lists on separate sheets and put them into alphabetic order and get and average for the players between sheets. but I fear that wouldn't work because as soon as 1 player on 1 list is not in the same order all the averages would be off, and useless.

Any suggestions?

Jibbler
03-15-2003, 10:53 PM
Good luck. Excel has alot of sophisticated options, but the cells will have to be numerically formatted the data cells. For example, you could create a player list, then assign players a value from 1-5 based on their batting average, home runs, RBIs, etc. Then you could use a formula to average the columns, and sort them by number.

This is a huge amount of work, and most fantasy baseball drafts will go very deep into the rosters to fill every slot. You may have to input data for a few hundred players.

I highly recommend downloading the data from the internet. It would be up to the minute, and probably cost less than $10 for an entire list.--

Jibbler

healimonster
03-17-2003, 08:42 PM
I think you slightly missunderstood.

I will be using several of those ranking sheets that you mentioned.

I just wanted to use excel and a was to compare and contrast the differences between the several lists.

I figured out one way.