PDA

View Full Version : Participation Level

clunk1234567
05-06-2004, 10:21 PM
My pl is showing 186998, how did i do it, no idea, it just happened. :o

Entity101
05-06-2004, 10:49 PM
Go to options and turn off 'show real pl'. Then it will be on 1000.

Nothing weird. It is supposed to be that high.

Autumn Fox
05-06-2004, 10:59 PM
On the other hand, what's wrong with that. Just imagine the looks on someones' face when he sees such a PL ^_^ ... and the description which would it have ;P

MUSLEMAN
05-07-2004, 12:17 AM
that is internal i don't belive other people see it :lol:

clunk1234567
05-07-2004, 12:40 AM
Any idea what the max is?

MUSLEMAN
05-07-2004, 01:11 AM
i belive it has ben reported over 19000 if i'm not mistaken, but like i said only you can see it

oldjagman
05-07-2004, 06:27 AM
If you tag show real PL you will also display uploaders with similar numbers.

Its a function of tagging "constant PL 1000".

Entity101
05-07-2004, 11:13 AM
max = 19210

MUSLEMAN
05-07-2004, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by oldjagman@7 May 2004 - 02:35
If you tag show real PL you will also display uploaders with similar numbers.

Its a function of tagging "constant PL 1000".
it does not matter what else you have checked if you have constant pl 1000 checked only you see the accual pl that is displayed evey body else sees 1000

oldjagman
05-08-2004, 01:36 AM
I'm mystified! But that won't surprise anyone!

I thought these high numbers were used to drive the constant PL 1000 function.

I only see 1000 from other people when I have "Constant PL" checked and "show real PL" unchecked. If I check "show real PL", as well as 1000, I show 16k+ and see people with commensurate levels.

I use KL243. Is it a function of this software, perhaps?

MUSLEMAN
05-08-2004, 01:50 AM
all versions work the same on that as far as i know, but if you uncheck constant pl 1000 then they will see your real pl

oldjagman
05-08-2004, 02:14 AM
What I am trying to say is I can see other peoples' high participation levels and these are not those generated by normal KLite use but by having "constant PL1000" turned on.

I assume this function is within the software and sets the PL at some very high (10k+?) level so that in normal usage it will never drop below 1000. I make this assumption because the registry entry for constant PL is a switch not a number or a computed variable like estimated bandwidth.

My experience over the last 3 to 4 years is that, left to its own devices, PL rarely makes it to 1000, if at all.

I am currently at 16409 and have 3 people uploading, all showing 16K+ PLs but without any status (medium, high, guru etc). When I am using "constant PL" it never defines a status so it is reasonable to assume these people have it checked.

MUSLEMAN
05-08-2004, 08:23 AM
if you have constant pl checked then all the other person sees is your 1000 pl.

if the other person has it checked then all you see is 1000 pl.

if you are seen other people with more then 1000 pl then they don't have the constant pl checked.

next time you have a chance connect to somebody you know and ask them what they see both ways.

i have few different lines at the office, with different isp. i have checked this out by connecting both klt's to each supernode then to each other by the way of upload/download. if one has constant checked then you see master 1000 no matter what else is checked.

Entity101
05-08-2004, 10:48 AM
user levels like guru and master are only defined up to a value of 1000 (since that is normally the highest value, anything higher would just be shown a 1000).

So when you use the 'cheat' then the value is higher as 1000 and no user level name is shown. Not that those names matter anyway.

You'll only see values higher than 1000 if 'show real pl is on'. So other people who don't have that function will see you as having a level of 1000.

oldjagman
05-08-2004, 11:45 AM
OK, explain this away.

At this very moment I have the same user downloading ROTK part 2 with a PL 15866 and part 3 PL KL master PL 1000.

MUSLEMAN
05-08-2004, 06:02 PM
2 different users same user name or same user 2 different names (2p)

in short i can do that with you right now 2 muscleman@klt k++ with 2 different pl

Entity101
05-08-2004, 06:42 PM
Or the program just screws up :lol:

MUSLEMAN
05-08-2004, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Error403@8 May 2004 - 14:50
Or the program just screws up :lol:
that could be another possiblity :lol:

oldjagman
05-08-2004, 10:30 PM
You're grasping at straws.

Same user name, two parts of the same movie at the same time, two different PLs - that's one hell of a coincidence!

Here's how it's done.

I have 6 popular movies that are in 2 or 3 parts.

Start KLite with Constant and real PLs checked and uploads set to unlimited.

Wait for 5 or 6 uploads to start, note their names and then uncheck real PL.

Wait about 4 or 5 minutes for lots more uploads to start then tag the user column header to sort by name.

Check the first list to see who is uploading another part and note the PL - if it was over 10K before it now reads 1000 and none of the new uploads shows as over 1000, only those noted when real PL was checked.

Verdict - either I've got a rogue version of KLite 243 which lets me see the "real PL" of users who have tagged "constant PL 1000" or it is generally possible to see other users real PLs.

MUSLEMAN
05-09-2004, 02:31 AM
first off your all versions work the same way when comes to that.

second unless you got 2 computers next to each other on 2 different isp and then connected to the same supernode then upload and download from each other and see what it is, please don't waist my time. you are running on assumptions.

as i said i have had 2 computers next to each other connected with 2 different isp and the fact and the real verdict is:

the damn thing only shows you, your real ip. and nobody else as long as constant pl is checked.

there are other ways of hacking and jacking your pl you know :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty:

now please don't waist our time with what you assume to be the facts. find out what the facts are, otherwise please keep your assumptions to yourself and don't mislead others.

:frusty: :frusty: :frusty:

oldjagman
05-09-2004, 10:11 AM
I'm not trying to "waist" (sic) your time, I'm trying to understand what I see not what you think you know.

I can turn several klite master uploaders PLs of 1000 into PLs of 10k+ at flick of a check and they ALL change.

I don't need two computers and it all happens on the same supernode with the same entries in my traffic window.

Get several uploaders with KLmaster 1000 showing then change to show real PL.

Immediately cancel all uploads.

Watch them reconnect and their actual PLs change.

I've just tested it again with ten (10) klmaster 1000 uploaders in my traffic window and they all changed to a PL of 10k+.

NB only three (3) had generic user names, the remaining seven (7) had discrete user names.

I don't have the knowledge or wisdom to hack PLs and these users are unlikely to have had time to hack their PLs.

Now, please don't you waste my time and everyone elses by jumping on my posts until you are sure of your facts.

PS I've now got 15 (fifteen) uploaders in view with a PL of 10k+ and I've just turned them all back to KLmasters 1000 by using the above method!!

Entity101
05-09-2004, 11:13 AM
or it is generally possible to see other users real PLs.

That's what I said (or meant to say).

oldjagman
05-09-2004, 12:10 PM
I say yes, MM says no - take your pick.

To see them check BOTH "constant PL 1000" and "show real PL".

Perhaps you would let us know what you see?

MUSLEMAN
05-09-2004, 09:14 PM
so you don't need facts because of what you think you are looking at??? :blink:

ok what ever you say boss. :frusty: :frusty: :frusty:

oldjagman
05-10-2004, 03:22 PM
Welcome to the wonderful world of Musleman.

There are only two rules - Rule 1 Musleman is always right, Rule 2 When Musleman is wrong refer back to Rule 1.

It is not what I THINK I see it is what I KNOW I see.

I see uploaders with PLs of 10k+ when I have "Constant PL 1000" AND "show real PL" both tagged.

If I then untag "show real PL" and cancel all the uploads they all restart as KLmaster 1000.

The above are facts not opinion or assumption and I can keep toggling them back and forth to my hearts' content.

None of the above is in the least bit important and has no influence on anyones ability to download or upload.

Over now to Musleman for the last (presumably dismissive) word.

MUSLEMAN
05-10-2004, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by oldjagman@10 May 2004 - 11:30
Welcome to the wonderful world of Musleman.

There are only two rules - Rule 1 Musleman is always right, Rule 2 When Musleman is wrong refer back to Rule 1.

It is not what I THINK I see it is what I KNOW I see.

I see uploaders with PLs of 10k+ when I have "Constant PL 1000" AND "show real PL" both tagged.

If I then untag "show real PL" and cancel all the uploads they all restart as KLmaster 1000.

The above are facts not opinion or assumption and I can keep toggling them back and forth to my hearts' content.

None of the above is in the least bit important and has no influence on anyones ability to download or upload.

Over now to Musleman for the last (presumably dismissive) word.
but you have no way of knowing those are the same exact people :blink: :blink:

that is an assumption on your part. you have no way of proving that. :blink: :blink:

just because its the same user name and the same file :frusty: :frusty: if i had a penny for every time that happened i would be so reach i don't even think there is a name for it.

welcome to the world of oldjagman, where facts don't matter, as a matter of fact, fact are what his assumptions are, and if you disagree then you are obviously wrong.

excuse me if i fail to recognize your assumptions as facts just because you swear by them.

facts are facts and assumptions are assumptions. :frusty: :frusty: :frusty:

oldjagman
05-11-2004, 12:18 AM
Ok, let me try to explain this in simple terms.

I have 15 people shown in my traffic window.

12 of these are shown as KL Master 1000.

In K++ Advanced options I now check "show real PL"

I now cancel all downloads.

The cancelled entries all restart.

They never leave my screen.

They do not change order.

The user names do not change.

The files being uploaded do not change.

The amount uploaded resumes from where it left off.

12 KL Masters become unclassified with PLs in the 12000 to 15000 range.

Now some would argue that this is not a statistically significant sample but it is one hell of a coincidence if other users with precisely the same user names replace those I have cancelled, in precisely the same order, are uploading the exact same file from me and have the same amount of data downloaded.

Incidentally, we are not just talking Lord of the Rings, the Matrix Trilogy or Star Wars here. The files requested in the sample include Rashomon, Yojimbo, The Seventh Seal and Citizen Kane (not the most popular of tastes in P2P circles).

Entity101
05-11-2004, 09:14 AM
Tip: Set your computers clock at thursday 01:59am and restart KL :rolleyes:

oldjagman
05-11-2004, 11:25 PM
Gotcha! So that's how it's done. KLite is set up to reset all constant PL1000s to 19210 at a given time each week. I'm on GMT - summer time - so it reset mine at 0100 hours on my clock.

And everybody got the same number to start off! (I know this because I have their "real PLs" in view).

I suppose (I mmusn't say "assume" cos it's a dirty word) the idea is that this ensures noone can drop below 1000 in the space of a week.

Thanks for adding to the sum of human knowledge.

May your God go with you!

Lite
05-12-2004, 09:09 AM
The reason is sharman have some kind of "protection" against PLs

Entity101
05-12-2004, 10:07 AM
The PL degrades with time. This way the old trick of making a backup of an high PL value doesn't work anymore.

K++ (re)sets the value to the highest possible value. That value is still a bit dependand on the time, but it never drops below a certain value (9000 something).

dummer
05-14-2004, 09:58 PM
Hi to all. :D

This is my first post, so if it sounds dumb, you will understand my nic. :P

I have only been using K++ for a short time, so I haven't worked it all out yet.

As I understand it, your PL is an indication of how much you are shareing, and using 'Constant 1000' gives you an artificial PL, but how do you know if someone who is d/ling from you is really shareing? How do people know I am really shareing and not just leeching (may leeches be buried in salt! :angry: )

Any reply greatly welcomed. :)

Cheers

MUSLEMAN
05-15-2004, 02:58 AM
you are not suppose to be worried about leechers and etc. just do your part and share the rest will work itself out :lol: :lol:

dummer
05-15-2004, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by MUSLEMAN@15 May 2004 - 03:06
you are not suppose to be worried about leechers and etc. just do your part and share the rest will work itself out  :lol:  :lol:
How informative of you.

Doesn&#39;t seem to be any point in asking questions in here if all I&#39;m going to get is smart-ass answers. <_<

oldjagman
05-15-2004, 07:21 AM
You worry as much as you like Dummer. It&#39;s a free world and you have every right to worry. I will defend your right to worry to last drop of your blood&#33;

How do you know someone isn&#39;t sharing? You don&#39;t because they may have denied view access to their files but still be sharing.

MMs basic philosophy is valid - this is a "trust" community and we all have to hope that as many folk as possible play the game and share. It&#39;s a sad commentary on modern day society that we live in a world where too many people take and not enough give.

You&#39;ve got the general idea about PL.

Happy filesharing&#33;

dummer
05-15-2004, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by oldjagman@15 May 2004 - 07:29
How do you know someone isn&#39;t sharing?&nbsp; You don&#39;t because they may have denied view access to their files but still be sharing.
oldjagman......Hi. :)

Thank you. I was not worrying about whether people were shareing or not, obviously people are or there would be no P2P at all. My query was whether you could know whether a person was shareing other than by allowing others to view your files, you answered my question. :D

Rather than a PL, it would make more sense if there was a coloured icon next to your username in the upload window in other peoples K++ showing that fileshare was enabled in your K++. That way you could share and keep your privacy.

I agree with MM&#39;s philosophy, and was trying to find out how to share as effectively as possible, perhaps he could have been a little more forthcoming. ;)

One final question, if you don&#39;t mind?

If you have more than one shared folder, and you enable people to see your files, are all the folders available to view, or just the &#39;Shared&#39; d/l one with the .DAT files in it?

Many thanks. :D

Vargas
05-15-2004, 03:50 PM
if you have browse enabled, they can see all your shared files, no matter what shared folder theyre in, including .kpl playlist files. (they wont see your partial downloads though)

oldjagman
05-15-2004, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by dummer@15 May 2004 - 16:33
If you have more than one shared folder, and you enable people to see your files, are all the folders available to view, or just the &#39;Shared&#39; d/l one with the .DAT files in it?

You can selectively de-select folders within folders so they are not all shared, similarly you can de-select individual files so they are not shared.

Use the facilities in "My Kazaa Lite" to make these sort of adjustments.

nsane
05-15-2004, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Error403@12 May 2004 - 04:15
The PL degrades with time. This way the old trick of making a backup of an high PL value doesn&#39;t work anymore.
you make a PL backup in DK :blink:

dummer
05-15-2004, 05:46 PM
Thank Vargas & oldjagman for the replies, they were very helpful. :D

Cheers. :beerchug: