PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive

jonathan_tijuana
05-07-2004, 05:21 PM
I think i have a problem with my hard drive, it is making a noise and everything stops, and also sometimes doesn't even load windows, what could it be.. the drive is damaged? or a bad sector? something is corrupt? or may be a virus? when it load windows it won't last more than 5 minutes to freeze or restart. i tried a software from maxtor POWERMAX, i did a boot disk but i don't know if i did something wrong but it did not start checking the disk. what do you guys think i should you before sending them the hard drive?

Thanks for any help.
Jonathan B.

LTJBukem
05-07-2004, 05:38 PM
You need to set your computer to boot from floppy in the bios.

jonathan_tijuana
05-07-2004, 05:41 PM
yes i did that, it read it and the the screen when black with something like this a/:

ck-uk
05-07-2004, 05:45 PM
It could be damg'd m8 right clck properties in my comp run all the scans with recover bad sectors..

have a look here m8...
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

maybe win doctor ,reinstall windows or dual see if its this installation mess'd up.scan for spy,adware

Virtualbody1234
05-07-2004, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by jonathan_tijuana@7 May 2004 - 11:49
yes i did that, it read it and the the screen when black with something like this a/:
You are at the DOS prompt when you see A:>

You need to run the Powermax program from there.

I'm quite sure it's called powermax.exe.

All you need to do is type powermax and then press enter at that prompt.

Chewie
05-07-2004, 05:57 PM
What sort of noise do you hear?

jonathan_tijuana
05-07-2004, 06:51 PM
I hear like a click. (ex. almost the sameone the mouse do when u click it)

this is what they say i have to do.

System Boot and Test Initialization

1.After extracting the PowerMax files to the floppy diskette, restart Windows with the PowerMax floppy in the A:\ drive.
2.When the system restarts it will boot to the PowerMax diagnostic program

NOTE: PowerMax does not run from within Windows 95, 98/ME, NT, 2000, or XP. Do not try to run the utility from an MS-DOS prompt window.

Virtualbody1234
05-07-2004, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by jonathan_tijuana@7 May 2004 - 12:59

1.After extracting the PowerMax files to the floppy diskette, restart Windows with the PowerMax floppy in the A:\ drive.

NOTE: PowerMax does not run from within Windows 95, 98/ME, NT, 2000, or XP. Do not try to run the utility from an MS-DOS prompt window.
What's your question?

tesco
05-07-2004, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by jonathan_tijuana@7 May 2004 - 13:59

type powermax like vb1234 said to do...

Chewie
05-08-2004, 08:22 AM
I've heard that sort of noise from a hard drive before; one that worked fine for a short while then would 'click' and Windows would freeze.
It was fucked.

peat moss
05-08-2004, 07:39 PM
Is the harddrive still under warranty? If it is they will want to know the 3 ? digit code . You get that from running powermax. If not under warranty your shit out of luck.

Raven_1210
05-10-2004, 03:37 PM
If your hearing Clicking Noises your hard drive is messed it ether has bad sectors or internal damage. If its from Maxtor there is a 3 year warrenty. With Power max u need to boot with that disk

RGX
05-10-2004, 03:46 PM
Clicking generally means its about to go. :(

My 14 gig went this way.

I think this is an internal fault with the hard drive and nothing that software can fix, but I may be wrong.

Raven_1210
05-10-2004, 03:49 PM
nope no software can fix it. I play with clicky hard drives all day I work at a computer store that does data recovery I like some looks I get from people when I tell them the price to get there data back after I hear click and the bios cannot see it :frusty:

atiVidia
05-10-2004, 06:13 PM
lol clicks dont always mean that theres sumtin wrong with the drive ;)

it could just be the head moving from the edge to the center many times per second. that can create a beautiful series of clicking noises :)