PDA

View Full Version : Bad Plugs

sampson
05-08-2004, 09:17 AM
Okay, I have a Shuttle XPC computer that has been nothing short of awesome on the 10 months I've owned it. I have an old printer and an old scanner that I've finally gotten around to connecting. Problem is, neither are being recognized by the computer. This what the back of my PC looks like:

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/5642/shuttle.JPG

The two green ones (which are labeled 'COM1' and 'COM2') of course is where I want to plug in the printer and the scanner. And as you can see the blue one is a VGA connection but it is also not working. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

ck-uk
05-08-2004, 09:57 AM
umm.... :unsure: make sure the ports are enable'd mate in the bios...under intergrated preipherals

sampson
05-08-2004, 10:04 AM
Thats what I was thinking also, but do you know what they will be labeled as? After entering integrated peripherals that is?

Marius24
05-08-2004, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by sampson@8 May 2004 - 10:12
Thats what I was thinking also, but do you know what they will be labeled as? After entering integrated peripherals that is?
would they not be as serial ports? :unsure:

Marius24
05-08-2004, 12:51 PM
i think its COM1 and LPT1 or something like that :)

Virtualbody1234
05-08-2004, 01:08 PM
Well if the blue VGA connector isn't working then you won't be able to view the BIOS screen.

Chewie
05-08-2004, 01:50 PM
The printer and scanner are a little unusual if they use serial ports; they normally use USB or parallel ports.

lynx
05-08-2004, 02:55 PM
Tell us what model printer and scanner you've got, we should be able to work out if/how you can connect them to your pc.

tesco
05-08-2004, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@8 May 2004 - 08:16
Well if the blue VGA connector isn't working then you won't be able to view the BIOS screen.
ell since his computer "has been nothing short of awsome on the 10 months..." he's owned it, we can asume that he is using a seperate video card ;)

in the bios it should probably be labbeled serial or com...on my board it is labbeled onboard serial a, so im guessing yours shouldnt be to difficult to find.

Livy
05-08-2004, 03:28 PM
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Onl...huttle_102.html (http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Shuttle_102.html)

4th item down. :D

as i assume your old scanner and printer will both use a parallel connection?

zapjb
05-08-2004, 05:45 PM
My printer was connected to my old computer using parellel cable. Couldn't get that to work on my new computer. So I switched to USB cable. That works. Still don't know why.

tesco
05-08-2004, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by zapjb@8 May 2004 - 12:53
My printer was connected to my old computer using parellel cable. Couldn't get that to work on my new computer. So I switched to USB cable. That works. Still don't know why.
the parallel port is probably either setup wrong, or disabled all together in teh bios.

Marius24
05-08-2004, 07:16 PM
try having a look in the device manager in windows, that might help :)

Peerzy
05-09-2004, 12:41 PM
I have an old printer and it took some time getting it all setup. I wish i had a USB one becuase my router can act as a USB print server :D

sampson
05-10-2004, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by Marius24@8 May 2004 - 06:59
i think its COM1 and LPT1 or something like that :)
This is what and how the listings are under Integrated Peripherals in BIOS

>VIA OnChip IDE Device [Press Enter]
>VIA OnChip PCI Device [Press Enter]
>Super IO Device [Press Enter]
Init Display First [AGP]
OnChip USB Controller [All Enabled]
USB 2.0 Support [Enabled]
USB Keyboard Support [Disabled]
USB Mouse Support [Disabled]
IDE HDD Block Mode [Enabled]
Onboard Lan Boot ROM [Disabled]

@Chewie UK

The printer and scanner are a little unusual if they use serial ports; they normally use USB or parallel ports.

They are both older. They have the 25 pin connectors but I'm using an adapter with them.

@lynx

Tell us what model printer and scanner you've got, we should be able to work out if/how you can connect them to your pc.

The printer is an HP Deskjet 612C and the scanner is an HP Scanjet 3200C

@ROSSCO_2004

ell since his computer "has been nothing short of awsome on the 10 months..." he's owned it, we can asume that he is using a seperate video card 

My video card is an ATI Radeon 8500.

brotherdoobie
05-10-2004, 05:51 AM
Originally posted by Marius24@8 May 2004 - 14:24
try having a look in the device manager in windows, that might help :)
I always start with the simple things first,when troubleshooting.
After checking cables and rebooting (I'm sure you did this already...but
the basics are the basics ;) )

Open your Device Manager (Windows key + Pause)
now click the plus sign next to the port your having problems with.
If the ports are not configured properly or have an IRQ conflict
you will see an yellow (!) next to the device.
If it's disabled or not working at all,you will see a red X next to it.

Right click the device/click properties/General tab and look under Device Status to see if the device is working.

If there is a red X next to the port in question and the device is disabled,enable it in the drop-down menu and click ok and reboot.

In some cases you might have to change the port's settings it in your BIOS as others have mentioned.

If after making the configuration changes and your problem still persists,I would
say a likely culprit is a corrupt or outdated driver.

Did you install the driver before using the scanner or printer?
If so that might be the problem.

Download the latest drivers for your printer and scanner.
Reboot and see if that fixed the problem.

Peace brotherdoobie

sampson
05-10-2004, 02:13 PM
Open your Device Manager

Thx for the help Brotherdoobie

The good news is, the device manager is telling me everything is fine and working properly. Unfortunately, the problem still persists. This may be a dumb question but I went through the device manager troubleshooting, I checked to see if the scanner/printer were supported by winxp and they weren't listed. I thought if something worked on say, win98 then by default it would work on winxp? Am I mistaken? Could that be the problem? They are just to old?

brotherdoobie
05-10-2004, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by sampson@10 May 2004 - 09:21

Open your Device Manager

Thx for the help Brotherdoobie

The good news is, the device manager is telling me everything is fine and working properly. Unfortunately, the problem still persists. This may be a dumb question but I went through the device manager troubleshooting, I checked to see if the scanner/printer were supported by winxp and they weren't listed. I thought if something worked on say, win98 then by default it would work on winxp? Am I mistaken? Could that be the problem? They are just to old?
No your not mistaken. That could very well be your problem.
That's why I asked you about your drivers.

Lets start with your printer
Have you updated your drivers for the printer.
If not I would go to Windows Update and scan for updates then
download and install any new drivers.

If that doesn't solve the problem go to the web site of your printer.
and search for a Windows XP printer driver and install it.

If your still having problems try uninstalling and reinstalling the driver's
for your printer.

1.Turn the printer off and disconnect it from the computer.
2.Click Start,Control Panel,Add Or Remove Programs then remove any printer software listed.
3.In Control Panel, click Printers and Other Hardware, and then click Printers and Faxes.
4.Right-click the printer then click delete.
5.While Printer and Faxes is still open on the File menu click Server properties.
6. On the Drivers tab,remove all the drivers listed,and restart the computer.

Now reinstall the latest Windows XP drivers then connect the printer.
If you can't find XP drivers for your printer try those of a similar
model.

Let me know how it works out.

Peace brotherdoobie

atiVidia
05-10-2004, 06:23 PM
10 months? dont they have 1 year warranties?

brotherdoobie
05-10-2004, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by atiVidia@10 May 2004 - 13:31
10 months? dont they have 1 year warranties?
Not for his printer and scanner...and I'm pretty sure Microsoft isn't supplying
warrenties for Windows XP if it's a driver conflict ;)

Besides whats the "fun" in sending it back to the manufacturer :P

Peace brotherdoobie

lynx
05-10-2004, 09:54 PM
According to HP, both printer and scanner have parallel port (25 pin) and usb port (4 pin) connectors.

Your computer does not have a parallel port so you can't use that option. You can't use adapters on the 25 pin cables to make them fit your computer. You will have to get USB cables, but check the printer and scanner first to make sure they have the right port.

Drivers for the printer come with XP.
Drivers for the scanner are available here. (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?product=60115&lang=en&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&os=228)

clocker
05-10-2004, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by sampson@10 May 2004 - 07:21
I checked to see if the scanner/printer were supported by winxp and they weren't listed. I thought if something worked on say, win98 then by default it would work on winxp? Am I mistaken? Could that be the problem? They are just to old?
My Mother's HP ScanJet 3300c simply would not work with XP. Even with the latest drivers her machine would fail to recognize that there was a scanning device hooked up.
Occasionally, I could get it to work by unplugging/replugging it...we'd get the "found new hardware" balloon, but eventually that stopped working too.
The problem became so irritating that finally, for Mother's Day, I bought her a new scanner.
Not an HP.

HP's software and customer support is pathetic.
Never again.

tesco
05-10-2004, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by clocker+10 May 2004 - 17:28--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker @ 10 May 2004 - 17:28)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-sampson@10 May 2004 - 07:21
I checked to see if the scanner/printer were supported by winxp and they weren&#39;t listed.&nbsp; I thought if something worked on say,&nbsp; win98 then by default it would work on winxp?&nbsp; Am I mistaken?&nbsp; Could that be the problem?&nbsp; They are just to old?
My Mother&#39;s HP ScanJet 3300c simply would not work with XP. Even with the latest drivers her machine would fail to recognize that there was a scanning device hooked up.
Occasionally, I could get it to work by unplugging/replugging it...we&#39;d get the "found new hardware" balloon, but eventually that stopped working too.
The problem became so irritating that finally, for Mother&#39;s Day, I bought her a new scanner.
Not an HP.

HP&#39;s software and customer support is pathetic.
Never again. [/b][/quote]
yes I agree, when I first bought my computer one of my dad&#39;s friends said that hp are teh best, so we got an hp computer, hp printer soon after, and hp scanner bit after that...all of these products have problems with drivers, it may be becuase they are old, but hp should still be making drivers for them...

although after a lot of tinkering, they all eventually work fine :rolleyes:

lynx
05-10-2004, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by clocker+10 May 2004 - 22:28--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker @ 10 May 2004 - 22:28)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-sampson@10 May 2004 - 07:21
I checked to see if the scanner/printer were supported by winxp and they weren&#39;t listed.&nbsp; I thought if something worked on say,&nbsp; win98 then by default it would work on winxp?&nbsp; Am I mistaken?&nbsp; Could that be the problem?&nbsp; They are just to old?
My Mother&#39;s HP ScanJet 3300c simply would not work with XP. Even with the latest drivers her machine would fail to recognize that there was a scanning device hooked up.
Occasionally, I could get it to work by unplugging/replugging it...we&#39;d get the "found new hardware" balloon, but eventually that stopped working too.
The problem became so irritating that finally, for Mother&#39;s Day, I bought her a new scanner.
Not an HP.

HP&#39;s software and customer support is pathetic.
Never again. [/b][/quote]
I&#39;ve noticed that effect too, with other USB devices, but I haven&#39;t found out the cause yet. What I did find (this was with a Viewquest Webcam) was that plugging the webcam into a different USB port got it working again for a while, but going back to the original port did not work, so of course once all the USB ports had been used the device didn&#39;t work at all. The webcam originally came with a Time computer. Drivers from their website, which were earlier than the one&#39;s from Viewquest, got it working.

I also had a similar problem with my own scanner (a simple scanner not found message this time), but I found that if I kept the USB connection plugged in but removed and replaced the power lead from the scanner it would start working again. A recent patch has cured it completely.

If you look at the link I provided, there&#39;s a patch to the HP drivers (dated 2002-06-06) which addresses that same problem for the scanjet 3200c. I suspect the actual problem lies in Microsoft&#39;s definition of the software interface for USB devices.

However, I agree about HP&#39;s support.
I&#39;ve said it before - HP invent, then they rip you off.

tesco
05-10-2004, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by lynx@10 May 2004 - 17:50
If you look at the link I provided, there&#39;s a patch to the HP drivers (dated 2002-06-06) which addresses that same problem for the scanjet 3200c. I suspect the actual problem lies in Microsoft&#39;s definition of the software interface for USB devices.
hey, 3200c is my scanner, but it isnt usb :blink: did u mean 3300c?

lynx
05-10-2004, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004+10 May 2004 - 22:52--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ROSSCO_2004 &#064; 10 May 2004 - 22:52)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-lynx@10 May 2004 - 17:50
hey, 3200c is my scanner, but it isnt usb :blink: did u mean 3300c? [/b][/quote]
Nope - follow the link.

Edit: Could be that not all 3200c&#39;s have usb.

tesco
05-10-2004, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by lynx+10 May 2004 - 17:59--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (lynx @ 10 May 2004 - 17:59)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@10 May 2004 - 22:52
<!--QuoteBegin-lynx@10 May 2004 - 17:50
hey, 3200c is my scanner, but it isnt usb :blink: did u mean 3300c?
Nope - follow the link.

Edit: Could be that not all 3200c&#39;s have usb. [/b][/quote]
hmm maybe, i think i might recall having to make teh decision, and not knowing which I had, so he gave me parallel just to be certain...i think... :unsure:

clocker
05-10-2004, 11:09 PM
My Mother&#39;s scanner was a 3300c...I don&#39;t know know how that falls in the HP product line relative to the 3200c, but HP says that it is not currently supported under XP and they are "working on it".

"Working on it"?
Are they nuts?
XP has been out long enough and is so ubiquitous that any major peripheral manufacturer should have upgraded XP drivers well sorted by now.

The new scanner ( a Canon CanoScan LIDE30) practically leapt into her computer and worked immediately with no configuration at all.
If Canon, who are historically camera makers, can figure this out, then what is HP&#39;s problem?

Lynx,
I have run into the phenomonon you describe with a Soyo 6 in 1 card reader.
This bay mounted device ( connected to a board header) randomly appeared and then vanished.
Being internal, it was a royal pain to reconnect the USB plug to wake it up, so I finally spliced a on/off switch into the 5v line in the USB cable so I could jog it to life without stripping off a sidepanel.
This blodge did work, but was so inelegant that I finally scrapped the device.
My external USB Dazzle card reader works flawlessly.

Go figure.

lynx
05-10-2004, 11:17 PM
Drivers (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?product=58390&lang=en&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&os=228) for HP Scanjet 3300c for XP, Version 3.03, date 2002-02-06. :-"

tesco
05-10-2004, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by lynx@10 May 2004 - 18:25
Drivers (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?product=58390〈=en&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&os=228) for HP Scanjet 3300c for XP, Version 3.03, date 2002-02-06. :-"
:lol: good work.

clocker
05-11-2004, 12:49 AM
You think I didn&#39;t try those?

They don&#39;t work&#33;

Livy
05-11-2004, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by Livy@8 May 2004 - 15:36
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Onl...huttle_102.html (http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Shuttle_102.html)

4th item down.&nbsp; :D

he does have a parallel port, just not a breakout for it. if u have something like that lying around it should work, or buy one, u should get them at a computer store.

edit: u can see the space for it at the top of the case in his topic.

atiVidia
05-11-2004, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by clocker@10 May 2004 - 19:57
You think I didn&#39;t try those?

They don&#39;t work&#33;
u sure?

sampson
05-11-2004, 02:24 AM
That&#39;s why I asked you about your drivers.

If that doesn&#39;t solve the problem go to the web site of your printer.

If your still having problems try uninstalling and reinstalling the driver&#39;s
for your printer.

2.Click Start,Control Panel,Add Or Remove Programs then remove any printer software listed.
3.In Control Panel, click Printers and Other Hardware, and then click Printers and Faxes.
5.While Printer and Faxes is still open on the File menu click Server properties.

If you can&#39;t find XP drivers for your printer try those of a similar
model.

Peace brotherdoobie

I truly thought we had it on this one, but nope. I think I&#39;m gonna go price some new cheap scanners:(

tesco
05-11-2004, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by sampson@10 May 2004 - 21:32

That&#39;s why I asked you about your drivers.

If that doesn&#39;t solve the problem go to the web site of your printer.

If your still having problems try uninstalling and reinstalling the driver&#39;s
for your printer.

If you can&#39;t find XP drivers for your printer try those of a similar
model.

Peace brotherdoobie

I truly thought we had it on this one, but nope. I think I&#39;m gonna go price some new cheap scanners:(
make sure its usb&#33; although im pretty sure all scanners these days are usb ;)

lynx
05-11-2004, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by Livy+11 May 2004 - 01:21--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Livy @ 11 May 2004 - 01:21)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Livy@8 May 2004 - 15:36

4th item down.&nbsp; :D

he does have a parallel port, just not a breakout for it. if u have something like that lying around it should work, or buy one, u should get them at a computer store.

edit: u can see the space for it at the top of the case in his topic. [/b]
Yes, I had missed that one, and I guess he did too. Even after you had pointed that out he still said he was trying to connect to the serial ports using adapters.

In any case, there&#39;s a far better chance of it working if he&#39;s got USB though at least for one of them, I don&#39;t think sharing the parallel port between scanner and printer is supported properly under NT based systems.

<!--QuoteBegin-clocker
HP says that it is not currently supported under XP and they are "working on it".[/quote]Merely pointing out that there were drivers for XP over 2 years ago.

Livy
05-11-2004, 10:09 AM
i have an old packard bell branded mustek 1200cu usb scanner if your interested. :rolleyes:

youd maybe be cheaper getting an all-in-one scanner,printer copier, unles u have a print server on a router and could plug the printer in there.